Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The Season 3 premiere was last night. What did everyone think?

I'm surprised that it took a year and half for Richard to finally take out Manny. It was a good episode all around.

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Great episode, I especially liked all the Van Alden scenes.

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

They managed to turn him into a sympathetic character - not bad going considering how much of a swine he was before being left with the baby!

Shame about Manny - I was hoping he'd stick around.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I really loved that big Jew. Such a shame, I was interested to see how it panned out with him and Nucky working together. I wonder if Richard killed him for revenge on James or Angela?

Van Alden's storyline was interesting - that run in with Capone sets up something that could be pretty great - and I thought it was hilarious that Gillian turned the Commodore's place into a whore house. The new Rosetti guy was a bit over the top, but I enjoyed it.

This is probably my favorite show, so I'm really happy it's back. Yay.

"Breadstick in a bowtie." :lol:

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

[QUOTE

"Breadstick in a bowtie." :lol:[/QUOTE]

This was my favourite line.:lol:

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It clearly was, based upon all the built up frustration at the disrespect Angela was receiving during the episode.

7. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Yeah that's what I figured - with James, that's the life he chose to live but Angela certainly never did, plus the relationship Richard had with her obviously meant a lot to him. Revenge for James was probably just gravy for Richard, Angela was the meat and potatoes. :)

The guy who plays Richard does such an incredible job with that role, I have to say.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

A note to the writers, please no more Eddie Cantor. Loved the look of disgust of Nucky's face as his affluent guests were like swine at the trough when the baubbles were placed before them. So many good things in this episode I'll have to watch again to see them all.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was a decent premiere, but it didn't bowl me over. I'm reserving judgment on Rosetti.

10. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Loved it. I'm impressed with how they're able to keep the overall feel of the show consistent.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm so happy this show is back. I had no idea how much I missed it until tonight.

Richard remains one of my favorite characters and I really felt for him in regards to Angela. He really cared for her and the way Gillian's is treating Angela's memory is disgraceful. Good on Richard blowing away Manny even though I'll miss his character.

I'll agree that they've successfully managed to make Van Alden a sympathetic character, which is remarkable considering how much I despised him before. But hey, I despised Jimmy until late season (and then they killed the bastard!). I'm going to make a prediction now: He's going to get involved with the situation in Chicago and will use his knowledge as an inside man to make good with the agency.

Nucky is already got himself a new squeeze on the side (which really isn't surprising at all) while Margaret has a new crusade. I look forward to see how that all plays out.

Really, the only bad thing about this episode was the severe lack of Chalky White.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I dont think Van Alden would be forgiven for murdering a partner and right now he is on the wrong side in the Chicago situation. I did however order and iron from him, what a great device.

13. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I forgot, i have to watch it.

Too busy watching Tour of Duty and Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper Chronickles.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, Van Alden's partner was corrupt and working for Nucky. But I doubt that'll ever get out now.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I was kind-of partial to "I'll shit you out like yesterday's sausage", myself. :D

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I liked that Rothstein was not at all thrown by the insults Rosetti threw at him- he even chuckled. I think Rothstein might be my favorite character on the show.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I get the impression that Rothstein sees Rosetti as a small-time operator with an over-sized self-opinion. He's probably clipped a handful of other bloviating gasbags just like him over the years, far greater men who have treated him far worse. Guys like Rosetti appear quite aggressive in the beginning, but later deemed a mad dog by his peers, who eventually all agree that he should go away quietly in a freak olive oil delivery truck accident.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

So, nobody watched the latest episode?

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought last night's episode was somewhat boring. I did enjoy seeing more of Chalky's home life, it added more dimension to his character. And Eli also got some nice character moments. But for the most part it felt like this episode was quietly planting seeds, perhaps to blossom into a bloody harvest later in the season.

I'm not liking Nucky getting stupid over the showgirl. I also haven't been sold on Rosetti yet. He comes across a bit comical at times, too awkward at others. He doesn't really seem like real threat to Nucky, well Nucky with his head on straight anyway.

20. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

True, it was a quieter episode laying some groundwork that will be important later on. I really liked what we got to see of Chalky's family and also Eli's coming home (though I never liked him as a character). I thought it was interesting how quickly he advanced with the IRA guy (I can't remember his name right now) asking his opinion on whether to make a stand or not.

I think Rosetti is someone who gets underestimated by the other characters. I predict it won't end well. ;)