American Horror Story - Coven

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gryffindorian, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Last nights episode was probably the most disturbing, intresting & entertaining episode of this season. The gore, blood and violence would make Quentin Tarantino proud.

Looking forward to next weeks season finally!

Q2

2. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

Did anyone catch what all the test of the seven wonders entailed? It would be cool if we put together a scorecard to see what characters have already preformed certain wonders.

3. Q2UnME

^ I don't remember them all, but the were shown in the "vintage witch guide/safety video" at the very start of the episode. What I remember (no particular order)

* Moving crap with you mind
    * Fire starting mentally
    * Spirt (Soul) Travel (heaven/hell and return to one's body)
    * Mind Control of another
    * Healing ability of others (Dead or Alive) - Life Force Balancing
    * Teleportation
    * Mind Reading ???? Not sure on this one

I'm sure someone will be able to correct me and provide more detail.

Q2

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Fiona is really dead. I have a hard time believing that they'd kill of Jessica Lange's character in the penultimate episode. I'd like to see Fiona return and get rid of the young witches who haven't been all that interesting to me except for Misty. Besides I'd like to see Fiona come out on top at the end of the season.

5. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

Dying on this show is a remarkably easy matter, however staying dead is something entirely different and far more difficult to accomplish. I wouldn't put Fiona down for the count just yet–for that matter it wouldn't surprise me if Marie & Delphine made a return from the dead too!

Ok so these I believe are the 7 wonders listed in the episode
    Telekinesis
    Concilium (controlling another persons will/actions)
    Transmutation (like teleportation)
    Divination
    Vitalis Vitalum (balancing the scales of life and death)
    Descensum (traveling to the afterlife and returning)
    Pyro-kinesis a witch that preforms this final wonder must set herself aflame and only if she emerges unharmed can she be called Supreme.

now to figure out which witches have done what so far.

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

The writers did say that no one on the show was exempt from being killed off. So I wouldn't be surprised if Fiona is gone. But then again, they brought back Queenie, and some characters were definitely resurrected.

7. Gryffindorian

I saw it on my DVR last night ... OK, that was a bloody episode. There was so much mayhem, but at least the scenes weren't completely unsettling.

Now both Marie Laveau and Madam LaLaurie are dead and spending eternity in hell with Papa Legba. I was surprised LaLaurie was able to subdue and butcher Marie that easily (well, with the butler's help from previous episode, of course).

I was pleased to see Cordelia show her inner strength again when her "sight" began to manifest. She's a pushover and one of the weakest characters on the show, but that seemed to change last night, especially when she went to see the Axeman and exposed Fiona for the manipulative user that she was. It was almost sad to see Fiona get axed. Cordie also rescued Misty from the tomb with Queenie's help, though I was surprised Misty Day didn't just use her powers to get out of the coffin by herself!

The "transmutation" power didn't make much sense to me. It was similar to teleportation; why didn't they just call it that? Descencium was obviously an out-of-body experience. This season just seemed to fly by so fast; I'm thrilled for the finale next week.

8. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just because she dead does not mean we will not see her again.
    We might see what her version of hell is next week.

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it at all possible Cordelia is the next Supreme?

I don't think so, since Fiona was getting weaker and Delia wasn't really showing any increased strength.

Myrtle?

I don't see that, either. Unless the four younguns kill themselves off trying--but then there's no more coven.

That leaves Zoe, Madison, Queenie, and Misty, right?

10. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Does the Coven even need a supreme at this point? It consists of only six witches, if they want to secure the coven's future they should be more concerned with getting pregnant instead of setting themselves on fire for the supreme test.
    Would it be possible for them to merge with another coven and would that coven's supreme become their supreme too, meaning no one will rise after Fiona?

I'm disappointed we never saw another coven or more male witches. They should have made Evan Peters a witch too, he was wasted this season, could have been interesting to see the lone male witch among a bunch of girls, dealing with the fact that he's now stuck at a girl's school (how do you explain that to your jock friends back home? LOL).

11. propita

Aside from the one male witch we saw (great character actor, btw), was there a mention of any others? Do male witches have to be gay?

12. Gryffindorian

Season Finale airs tonight ...

As for the male witches, they should be referred to as warlocks rather than wizards. Wizard sounds too Hogwarts, imho.

13. Gryffindorian

The season finale didn't quite wrap up with a bang, but I notice that's always been the case with AHS. There's the usual denouement, foregoing any suspense or twist ending, and all's well that ends well.

Cordelia, with encouragement and support from Myrtle, became the coven's Supreme, having passed all of the seven trials. She finally opened the doors of the academy for all the world to see and to welcome young witches. I didn't really picture her character to be Fiona's successor because she was portrayed as weak willed. So I was rooting for Misty Day, who failed her Descentium trial and died in the process. Madison was just an insufferable bitch until the very end, and her death at the hands of Kyle didn't elicit any sympathy. Zoe was brought back to life, but she didn't have what it took to really assume leadership, and neither did Queenie.

Fiona returned to the academy in such a fragile state, only to die there, and finally ended up in her version of hell with the Axeman.

To me, one of the show's strongest characters has been Myrtle Snow, and Frances Conroy deserves an Emmy for her performance. :) She was Delia's surrogate mother and guiding light, and she even made the final sacrifice to let Delia fulfill her duty as a Supreme.

Season Finale Rating: B-
    Overall Season Rating: A-

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, Misty got a bad ending...poor girl. She was my favorite young witch and this made me sad. Everyone else got what they deserved though.

15. Q2UnME

^ I agree, Misty's character was the most endearing. Her version of hell fit her character, she was about healing and not killing. For Misty to be stuck in biology class forever disecting a live frog and then healing it, over and over is truely hell for her.

As for the rest, the final episode was pretty "meh" for me. Didn't really have the "big punch" I was hoping for.

Q2

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

This was the first season of AHS I've watched, so I was expecting a much bleaker ending, and surprised but glad we didn't get that.

I was rooting for Misty, and she deserved better; also, they took her out way too quickly. My only other real complaint is no matter what an insufferably awful person she was Madison didn't deserve that ending, especially with that disgusting creep there and approving. At first I thought her body would end up in the attic as his little sex doll again. Or did she? I mean, there's that baby we saw him rocking... so yeah, especially if that happened.

Glad Zoe and Cordelia survived and that they actually went the "Cordelia can be Supreme" route - they were easily the most likeable characters other than Misty. Myrtle's death was stupid but fits her character so, meh. I kind of had to laugh that Fiona's hell and the Axeman's heaven is the same place.

17. propita

I liked the end. I liked that the almost-defunct coven is no longer almost-defunct, but were all of those girls witches? I would assume some test would be given.

And why were the witch hunters in such a snit? We didn't see the witches do all that much against too many people (mostly just those who were in their faces).

Okay, so there are other covens we don't really know much about. What did we learn about them?

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I finished it today.

I really enjoyed this series. Loved seeing Fiona in Farm-Hell.

:lol:

I kinda figured her daughter would rise as the next Supreme, and I'm fine with that. That final scene between them was pretty cool.

Kyle takes over for Spaulding, who spends eternity with his new doll..??

The only thing I didn't like was Misty's fate. I thought she deserved better. Oh, and the Stevie Nicks thing was an interesting idea that came off too gimmicky (IMHO).

Other than those minor quibbles, another hit for AHS. Well done!!

:techman:

19. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

She did, but I guess that's part of telling a horror story. Nan deserved better too, and what about Luke? I felt bad for all of them.

I liked Coven, there was a lot that didn't make sense and story lines and ideas seemed to be introduced and dropped left and right but it was entertaining from start to finish.

Asylum is still my favorite season.

20. Gryffindorian