Jem and the Holograms (Film)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, May 13, 2015.

1. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

To be fair, it also didn't make sense for The Misfits to hate (or even care about) Jem and the Holograms in the first place, since each band seemed to appeal to different demographics in the world of the series...

I wouldn't want to lose Starlight Music, though--the moment when they showed the Starlight building in the trailer was the one time I could picture the more faithful movie this could've been.

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

1. I know MEN in their 30s and 40s who still love the old Jem cartoon. I'm one of them.
    2. Women pretend at being more grown up than we are, but give them an opportunity to get a Lisa Frank bedspread and they lose their minds.
    3. It isn't a matter of whether changes needed to be made to update things a little - of course they do. (The very first thing that comes to mind is that the character Video wouldn't work for their world's version of MTV. She'd probably work for VEVO or be a well-known Youtuber or something.) It's just that there is no need to alienate an existing fanbase when a story that will appeal to the current generation can still be made without pissing all over the essentials of the material.
    I think you're being needlessly harsh.... to the other shows you just referred to. Except Hannah Montana - that's always been a Jem-ripoff. :lol:
    But that could be fixed with much smaller changes. Jerrika's dad founded the company, but didn't own a controlling stake any longer. Eric is the jerk the board appointed to lead after he died. He doesn't want JatH on the label in part because Jerrika does and he sees that as being dictated to by "daddy's little girl", and in part because he's Pizazz's boyfriend, and she can see that the band has talent and doesn't want to risk losing her band's spot as the flagship of the label.
    He's the ace. He's amazing. The greatest secret agent in the world. :techman:
    I think that's at least a tiny bit valid, actually. Scarlett ended up leading the team after Duke got promoted, in the original continuity. Does that seem anything close to likely in the new movies? And, they changed the Baroness from a willful woman doing her own thing, into a brainwash victim.

3. Granola Gwen

Granola Gwen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This movie looks like one of the most clique and cheapest things I've ever seen. I'm suprised anyone even remembered the original series.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I completely buy that. A Hasbro movie being regressive and odious? Not much of a stretch. ;) I didn't mean that said concern wasn't valid; I'm just amused that the dominant preview criticism is one no one seemed to expect. :p

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I will now use this as my new band name. :devil: :lol:

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My nieces have been watching the original series and have been loving it! My nieces are 6 and 8 years old.