What is the best episode to introduce a person to Trek to?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Yvaine, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Yvaine

Yvaine Ensign Newbie

Okay, for awhile now I've tried to get my friend to watch Star Trek with me, but they think that's some stupid show. Finally though, they've agreed to watch just one episode to please me.

I've already decided that we are going to watch TNG because I feel that it's the best show to introduce a person to, but I don't know what episode to show him. Any suggestions?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

See the "Best episodes ever" thread, where several members list 5 of their favorites, though some of those listed may not be considered "best". It might help you narrowing down what to show your friend.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=195526

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. abeardall

abeardall Commander Red Shirt

Darmok

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Code of Honor
    Justice
    Angel One

:devil:

5. Yvaine

Yvaine Ensign Newbie

OMG THAT'S PERFECT! ESPECIALLY SINCE MY FRIEND IS KINDA AFRAID OF RADICAL FEMINISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:techman:

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the premise is that you have a known doubter, & only have one shot to get their interest, then I think you're not really looking for TNG's best episode, because most of TNG's best episodes are not the kind of episodes you'd use to introduce someone to TNG

What you're looking for is something that is exciting, & suspenseful, but isn't weighed down with a lot of Star Trek or TNG back story. A one off episode that features a lot of the cast & isn't too outlandish

My choice would be "The Enemy" Where Geordi goes blind & is forced to survive on a hazardous planet with the help of a sick Romulan. It's a perfect warm up for a newbie

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd go with something more "true to the nature" of Trek which isn't about action or anything like that. But then not picking an episode that does this but isn't too preachy (like Who Watches the Watchers.) I'd also say a S3-S5 episode would make the best selection as those offer the best TNG has to offer without being weighed down by the "growing pains" of the first two seasons or when things started watering down for various reasons starting in S6.

An episode that's not too heavily character-driven or reliant on needing to know how the characters are "supposed to act" or interact or their history. You essentially want the person to be able to sit down and "take-off running", so to speak and to maybe return later to these other episodes that don't make for great first-timer episodes.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking "Booby Trap" as it has a lot of good elements in it and isn't too reliant on needing to know anything about the characters. (Geordi's lack of luck in love is established in the cold open.)

"The Enemy" MIGHT be good but one could argue you have to know and understand the tension between the Romulans and the Federation in order to fully appreciate moments of it, in particular Worf's personal feelings towards Romulans.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

"The Defector" would be a much better Romulan episode for a newcomer to Trek.

It goes more into the background of the Romulans, and it is also a great thriller with some good payoff at the end of the episode.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really though, because Worf's dialog puts it all out there in plain English as to why he will always hate them. It's not even really necessary to have any back story on Romulan/Fed relations. It's simple. Like the title says. They're enemies, & that's all there is to it, & they highlight two sides of that coin

Don't get me wrong. The Defector is a better episode than The Enemy, but you really do need to have some sense of what Romulans are all about, to digest that one. I picked The Enemy specifically because it has many elements of what TNG is, but doesn't require any foreknowledge. A person who'd never even heard of Star Trek could watch it & figure out everything that's going on

It would keep them interested. It would introduce them to everything about TNG, their methods, their codes & policies, their technology, & tidbits about the alien races. There's a neutral zone. The enemy crossed it. There's lives at stake. It all has the potential to go horribly wrong, & in the end things work out, because it's Star Trek. Not to mention that Geordi is like a genius in that episode

Uses his visor to spot ore in the dirt to melt with his phaser into climbing spikes. Programs a tricorder from memory, to communicate with his visor, without ever even touching it,

He's like a bloody blind Batman in that episode!

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I'd go with The Survivors, as it's not only great but pretty self contained.

Q-Who is the best, but I'm guessing you don't want to be explaining who Q is and so forth

11. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

You forgot Shades of Gray!

But seriously, it's a bit hard to recommend the perfect episode without knowing a bit about this person and their background. That said, here's a few that I think would be a good introduction to TNG:

Hollow Pursuits
    Remember Me
    Conundrum
    The Inner Light

If I had to pick one out of those... maybe Hollow Pursuits? Although the Inner Light is great too. Depends. If they want a serious drama, go for Inner Light, if they're into more light-hearted stuff, Hollow Pursuits.

12. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Conundrum would require previous knowledge that the first-officer does not belong there. I think The Enemy is a good shout.

Interestingly, I chose to show my girlfriend Tapestry first. She didn't really "get it" because she was not invested in the characters. I showed her Justice and she loved it! She's now watched most of them and appreciated Tapestry better the next time around.

13. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Lot's of S3 eps. being mentioned and it's not just a coincidence.

I initially though "The Defector" as well. "The Enemy" is a good choice too. Hell, any of the S2-S4 Romulan episodes would be a good mix of action and drama (i.e., "The Mind's Eye", "Contagion").

"Tin Man" could be good too. The essence of Trek right there.

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

No, Q-Who would be a great choice. I was just thinking about that one. It's the kind of episode that doesn't rely on a lot of backstory other than explaining that Q is an omnipotent being that occasionally shows up and causes mischief. It introduces vibrant characters like Q and Guinan to the first time watcher as well as the Federation's most intimidating enemy. It's got everything. It's the kind of episode that might have your friend asking you stuff during the episode which would be a good thing if it meant his/her interest was piked.

15. Eat-Da-Tribble

Eat-Da-Tribble Ensign Newbie

I think the more appropriate is not to seek the best chapter, but the one that you believe your friend would most like to introduce him in ST, i.e. if I would like to get my acting teacher or my mother in ST, I would show her The Offspring, but no The best of both worlds or Survivors. If it was the case with my stepfather, I would teach him any of the first season; my brother would love Phantasms or Masks, but I don't think he would love begin with Family. You must not se the best chapter but that you think would work best to introduce your friend in the ST universe and wanting to know more.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Best of Both Worlds.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know what, I just saw this episode on the big screen and was reminded about why I'm being turned off of the new movie as being Star Trek in name only. That episode is Measure of a Man, and now you and your friend can watch the extended cut (Assuming you're buying the blurays) together for the first time.

It seems like Star Trek is going the way of the action genre, and while that's fine, I think it's losing it's heart. MOAM is pretty much what I love what I see Star Trek, a topical issue that not only tells a great story, but allows people to think about it afterwards. The issue of "What is a Soul" is still being talked about in psychology classes (I know in mine we actually watched Blade Runner and talked about it from that question's point of view) today, and I found this episode as timely as ever.

18. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

What other franchises does he like?