Was Beverly a waste of space?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by picsiskvinechef, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The interesting thing about Crusher is her dead husband, killed while working with Picard. As far as romance goes I think Picard was better with Vash or the blonde in We'll Always Have Paris. Or even the judge in Measure of a Man.

That said, I'd want Crusher as my doctor above all the others because she would break the prime directive to save me.

2. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I liked Crusher, she definately wasn't a waste of space. She was definately much better then Pulaski

3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

You're on the knife edge of trolling. Keep up this hostile style and your visit here will be pretty brief.

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I am fine with that. But why she had to allow him to go on the Enterprise? She should have sent him to Starfleet Academy, urging him to befriend Nick Locarno and do as many Kolvoord Starburst maneuvers as necessary to save the universe.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

She was a good dancer.

I might have to watch Showgirls again and imagine Beverly as Nomi.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree

She pushed Picard to get involved in the Kamala situation, in The Perfect Mate

She jeopardizes herself & her away team in hostile territory in The High Ground, & they actually comment about having to deal with her attitude if they force beam her out

She disregarded the captain's orders, when he ordered her to leave the Borg crash site in I Borg, endangering all of the Federation

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

She only condemned them when they were out killing and murdering each other.

Following Starfleet regulations doesn't mean you have to apply moral relativism to your own personal feelings.

Only in this obnoxious decade could we call extending personal empathy to everyone without exception a sign of arrogance.

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I see your point, but at the same time, it's kinda of an honoured tradition in Trek for doctors to be the voice of emotion and empathy in a situation. In the first case, while she voiced her opinion on the issue of sexual exploitation and personal freedom, I don't remember her "forcing" her view on others: ultimately, it was Picard's (and later, Kamala's) decision to do what they felt was the right thing to do.

As for her involvement in the other situations you mentioned, it's a inherent contradiction in her job: as an officer, her duty is to follow orders; as a physician, her call is to render assistance where it's needed. Good or bad, it's food for drama.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crusher was definitely more likable. In terms of actual character development I'd say Pulaski was more complete and better utilized.

11. Makarov

A little Pulaski goes a long way ;) I think it would have been interesting to have both Pulaski and Crusher both on the enterprise at the same time.

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A waste of space? Surely the focus of this thread should be Deanna Troi. The therapist on the bridge? A character whose sole purpose is to telegraph what the person on the viewscreen is thinking?

Come on, people. :lol:

13. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I actualy prefered Pulaski. She was cool and stern. Borderline awesome. I really like Crusher too though. It would have been boring if no one ever stopped and thought "Hey, genocide is not nice" and other such things.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was always a Beverly fan. She was a lot easier on my eyes than Troi. I was pleasantly surprised to see her name in the credits again in the Season 3 opener.

Being a mother (for years the only main-credits cast member with a family on a ship that was supposed to be full of families) was part of her character.

More like she was cloned from a better developed character.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Did Worf have a big head?

--Sran

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^You'd have to ask K'ehleyr...or Jadzia...or maybe Troi....

17. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually liked Crusher, and back in the day, even had a crush on her, no pun intended. :) Honestly, I was always convinced that Crusher and Picard would eventually get together, but I suppose the closest thing is the alternate timeline in ALL Good Things. I think it would have been more interesting if it it had started out that Crusher was more conflicted about Picard: on one hand, he was an old family friend who always was there to help her and Wesley, but on the other hand, she actually BLAMED Picard for Jack Crusher's death. As the show progressed they could have went from Crusher having a passive aggressive resentment for Picard, to a romantic relationship where they both felt guilty for theri feeling because of their connection to Jack Crusher, to actually resolving the relationship somehow, in the end (Be it, they fully commit or just agree to be friends).

They farted around too much with the writing, though. You can argue a lot of that DID happen behind the scenes, but it seemed like they couldn't decide if they wanted Picard to be a Ladies' man or have some kind of relationship, sort of like Riker.

Ridged for her pleasure. :klingon:

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Beverly never needed to wear a bunny suit like Troi did to look good.;)

19. Makarov

It sure takes Picard a long time to make a move on Crusher - if at all. There's a lot of points in the show / movies where Picard does seem to want a family, which makes me wonder why he doesn't "make it so."

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What woud have been interesting is after having Crusher for one year, and then replacing her with Pulaski for the next year, is if they had continued the process and had a new doctor at the begining of every season.

:)