Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

This was the debut of the 4-foot miniature.

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Hunted, they show the wrong deck number on the turbolift, shows deck 12 not 36 when they are chasing the fugitive.

-Chris

3. cbspock

Now onto the High Ground....what an ignorant view of terrorism. Deep Space 9 did a much better job. TNG steeped in moral equivalence liberal political correct BS which just dates the hell out of TNG. Picard was good at looking down his nose at people and making speeches. Can't call out your enemy because it wouldn't be politically correct and it OMG offend someone. DS9 and nuBSG took a more realistic view into such matters.

The episode looks great however.

-Chris

4. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Sure, DS9 did a better job, there's no doubt -- after all, one of its main characters was a former terrorist! I have yet to watch this episode on Blu, but I seem to recall Picard not only calling out his enemy (and chastising Beverly for arguing Finn's cause) but full-on decking Finn moments after he appeared on his bridge!

I would argue that the episode's view of terrorism is more simplistic than ignorant. Basically, what the episode has to say about terrorism is that it's bad. :lol:

5. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

So a couple of observations....I found that the PQ has got worse as the season progressed. It may just be my sight though. Haha. Furthermore, whilst watching the multi part "Resistance is Futile" featurette I've noticed that the PQ of the selected clips shown appears to be a considerably better than that shown in the final individual episodes. Bizarre. The episodes look....cleaner somehow.

6. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I just noticed how a turbo lift conveniently appears out of a crewmens quarters in Deja Q. Engineering always had either a turbo or jeffries access behind the pool table; I never really understood how that worked either.

7. qbie

qbie Ensign Newbie

I was watching the BOBW special edition last night, and noticed something slightly odd with the music mix.

When Riker is on the Battle Bridge, and says "We're about to intervene" the music ('Intervention' by Ron Jones) starts before he speaks. On the original SD version of Pt II the music starts after he says that line. There is therefore a couple of seconds of the intro to the track which is looped, as it then syncs up as the Saucer separates.

I'm curious to know if this is how it was on the VHS version of the combined episodes. If so, I'm assuming when the S4 bluray is released the music will go back to starting after Riker speaks.

I know it's only minor, but having listened to the music of BOBW a lot it really stood out for me.

q

edit: Just saw this mentioned in the Season 4 thread. At least it's not just me ;-)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree it's a fairly simplistic view, but looking back it still feels pretty bold and edgy to see the show tackling the subject at all-- especially a show as normally squeaky-clean as this one (hell, you got references in this ep to kids blowing up buses-- on TNG).

And you also have to consider that these aren't terrorists who are being driven by a corrupt and fanatical religious worldview, like the ones we face today. So there's probably a bit more allowance to show them being a bit more... reasonable and human (although I agree making the terrorist leader an artist-poet was a bit much).

9. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I'm loving season 3 in HD I'm just watching a season 4 episode and I have to say watching it in SD is terrible now !!! So glad HD is the future !!!

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I can't believe how fast some of you are making it through this season. I'm only just finishing up Season 1!

11. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Anyone else see the tear rolling down Fajo's face while talking to Data before he throws the liquid on him? I didn't think Fajo was getting emotional when talking to him.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I haven't watched it in HD yet but I seem to recall seeing that in the SD version as well.

13. cbspock

Just finished Deja Q...WOW this episode has never looked better.

-Chris

14. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've noticed that the clips in all the features usually have a lower bit-rate that doesn't preserve the film gain as well. I suspect this is what you mean by things having a cleaner look, it may look cleaner but it's actually less detailed.

15. cbspock

Did they change the color of the bridge carpet in Matter of Perspective? It's not that bright color blue/white that it was earlier in the season it is now a darker grey.

-Chris

16. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Yeah that may be it. That being said, episodes like "Transfigurations" didnt seem to fair all that well in terms of HD transfer. Many scenes seemed soft with overblown contrast. Its possibly just my TV though. haha.

17. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

Deja Q seems to be missing a bit of audio from Worf during the opening teaser, at 1:58, when Riker asks him to "contact all ships in the sector to rendezvous and join us in relief efforts" - he appears to say "Aye, sir" but there's no speech. Not quite sure it's recall-worthy though - but it is obvious! :)

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Since I already watched The Best of Both Worlds on the dedicated disc, I only have Transfigurations left on season three.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have to say that overall I'm disappointed with the audio on this set. Lots of muffled dialogue mainly coming out of the act breaks.

20. cbspock

Really??? I haven't noticed.

-Chris