The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I suspect the only way they were "contractually" obligated to do the ending from the book was by the fans of the books. If they had really changed the ending of the movie from the books the fans probably would have been furious. Many were upset enough as it is.

And, sorry, I don't see how this "twist ending" was a cop-out.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might read the books some time, I've had a couple surprising people recommend them. I've never pursued it because vampires really are not my thing. I did see the first movie but all I remember is nice scenery and the awful jamming of baseball into it.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The movies have been extremely faithful to the novels almost to a fault, plenty of the lame and cheesy lines in the movies are lifted directly from the books. However, quite a few action scenes that were added to the movies were never shown in the books or actually never happened. This makes plenty of sense since movies are suppose to have more action.

I would have only considered it a copout if the battle had been completely meaningless and only there for eye candy, but it wasn't. In the movie, was one of the main reasons Aro decided to do what he did at the end. It enhanced the movie for quite a few people I think.

Also the writers did a great job having everyone stay in character during the 'battle' in the movie. Lots of great moments from the good vampires, the wolves, and the Volturi. I heard many cheers, laughter, and shocked reactions from the people I was watching with. I'm sure plenty of Twihards almost died of a heart attack while watching it!

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the battle was really done and I was actually shocked and but saddened when Carlisile died during that battle, felt for Alice when she avenged Jasper it was very well done battle scene and I thought the ending worked very well. And it did "mean" something as it was more proof to Aro and Volturi that they're were pursuing a lost cause in going after Renessme and the Cullens. It would only ending in Aro's "death" along with the "death" of many other of the Volturi.

I do think Michael Sheen's acting, tongue flicking and so-forth was vastly over the top. I don't know why he's being so lauded by reviews between this movie and his small roles in the other ones. Hell I'll take Kristen Stewart's bland, "Ummmm.... Line?" acting over Michael Sheen's scenery gluttony any day.

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I have absolutely no interest in Twilight, movies or novels, but from what Trekker described I have to give them credit for actually a really well done twist. How is it a copout?

6. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't speak for those who think it's a copout, because obviously I don't think it is, but I suppose it proceeds, without benefit of argument I might add, that in order for it to not be a copout, it has to be a real battle and not just a vision.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, but if the actual goal of Our Heroes is to resolve things diplomatically/without violence, wouldn't this actually be a case of creatively meeting the goal they had all along?

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess you're right. And I suppose I should be glad narrative tricks of this sort are being done in Twlight rather then, say, X-Men. :p