Why Does a French Captain Have an English Accent?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Komack, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Ask French actress Eva Green.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znQEwvG3Mc[/yt]

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got torn a new one when I once posed this question. I meant it from a production standpoint. French-heritage captain with very British accent just seems odd. Still. Yes, of course a French person mat speaj English with a British accent. (Though I would still expect the native phonemes and idiosyncrasies of French to flavor the British English spoken.) But whatever.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, what with the DVDs of The Next Generation containing multiple language options and all that, it surprises me that nobody has ever thought to do a YouTube video of a scene containing a mixture of the French language track (for all of Picard's dialogue) and the English language tracks (for everybody else). Might be kinda cool to actually see Picard speaking French in a regular scene! :lol:

4. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the real question is if Picard indeed had an ancestor who served at the Battle of Trafalgar, which SIDE did he serve on? This could explain the WHOLE English accent thing, if he was a traitor!

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Funny, but I'm not sure how. Were the Picards secret Anglophiles for five centuries?

6. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was a line, can't remember which episode at the moment, where Picard opines about coming from a long line of Picards doing a bunch of important shit, including one who fought at the Battle of Trafalgar.

That IS the question!:)

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

wasn't there a huge letter writing campaign to bring back Crusher?

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I never really could get into Tasha. The most dramatic thing she did was die really. Beyond that, she just overacted a lot of scenes spouting out the jargon of this week's plot. Then again season 1 in general had a lot of over acting and not much character development.

Probably the only scene with her I really liked was when in Skin of Evil, even though it had nothing to do with the plot. The one where Worf and Yar were talking about a martial arts tournament and he was betting on her.

I get why she quit over that, her displeasure over her lack of character would seem akin to my displeasure as a fan. Beyond that alternate Yar really didn't do much for me in Yesterday's Enterprise and spawned one of the worse Trek villains ever.

I think so, I do know that also not wanting to have a third doctor in as many seasons contributed to Crusher's return. It was awkward enough that she just left her kid on the ship for only one year.

9. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Her leaving has come up at conventions, Richard Arnold said she wanted more lines, but since she already had several episodes in which she was heavily featured they said no, so that's why she wanted to leave

then of course after that she wanted back in when she realized it was a popular show

and then she made that crap documentary about Trekkies that made us all look like freaks

10. R. Star

Honestly I saw that documentary as a shameless attempt to boost her fledgling acting career, or at least bring in a few extra bucks. The primary purpose behind it definitely didn't seem to be to win over the fans.

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

agreed,

it seemed like she picked people who were only the stereotypical "loser geek dork" trekkies. Which I guess it's ok to show people like that since they exist, but she could have also showed people who were more...I hate to use the word in this case "normal" people lie for example my husband and I. We go to conventions in costuem, we have a room in our house dedicated to collectibles, we have tons of autographs and such, but outside of cons and our own home you wouldn't know we were trekkies

ugh and that woman, the one who made her coworkers call her "commander" and she was a juror on some case and she went in uniform. Thats what people imagine when they hear the word Trekkie and denise crosby just reinforced that

12. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'd love to meet that juror. As an actual veteran, she grossly offends me, and she's pretty sick in the head to think she "earned" that "rank".

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Which is not very "normal", as you put it...

And that's fine, but at least be honest.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

He learned English from a Englishman. I once new a girl from Argentina who spoke English with an english accent because when she learned to speak English her teacher was from England.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I always assumed that as well. You'll notice that not only do most of the Picards speak with English accents, but so does Jean-Luc's friend Louis. Thus I assumed that the local English teacher spoke that way, therefore so did anyone who learned English from that teacher.

IIRC, Picard's mother spoke with a French accent. So perhaps she learned English from a different teacher, and/or was from a different area of France?

16. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Nobody thought the show would be a success, & she thought she could do better. She was wrong. However, the show benefitted, because... frankly... she's not that good of an actress. Michelle Forbes as Ro Laren is miles above

2. Nobody liked her

3. because apparently he's an Anglophile who likes English tea & is a Shakespeare aficionado

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

ALL HAIL THE CORPORATE DRONES! NEVER TRY!

18. R. Star

Eh... there's a difference between trying and being smart about it. I could decide I don't like my job and quit it to pursue a better one.... except wait, I never landed it and when I wanted to come back to the old one they could only take me part time. I suppose chasing that dream foolishly can pay the bills though.

But I suppose being smart is a trait of a "corporate drone" eh?

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If that works for you fine - but the logic presented by Trekkie of "never try" (in his weird passive aggresive way - like she shot his dog) is just daft - half of the successful things that we take for granted exist because someone quit a successful well-paid job.

So she failed? so what? Most people will fail - that's not a reason not to try.

20. Zedferret

Zedferret Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you want to see Patrick Stewart speak with a French accent, then watch L.A Story. He plays a French maƮtre d' in a posh L.A restaurant and sneeringly tells a not rich enough Steve Martin - 'You cannot ave ze duck, you can ave ze chicken.' Worth watching the whole film for.