Spoilers Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by nx1701g, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Grade Lost Souls

1. Excellent

72.3%
  2. Above Average

19.0%
  3. Average

6.7%
  4. Below Average

1.0%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. MHJH

MHJH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

Really nothing to say here, other than that it was, as expected, entirely excellent. A few small things nagged at me (I was hoping to see more of the primordial-borg after the initial assimilations) but I can't argue at all with the overall structure of the story. It worked on every level, from the minor personal notes, to the overall galactic repercussions of the entire thing. Favorite moments include the creepy, zombie vibe of the icebreaker crew running into the first of the Borg, and, of course "My name is Annika." Brilliant.

Oh, and Terminat hora diem terminat auctor opus? Way to go, Dave. It takes a real writer to throw out a personal message both from and for the author, a little latin, and a tip of the hat to Rush all at once. Bravo, good sir.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Steve, your review reminded me of something that's been nagging at me for a week now.

You wrote, "the former Seven of Nine may come out of the experience as a very different person," which is what's been nagging me.

Did the Caeliar assimilating the Borg unintentionally lobotomize her? "Timeless" showed us that Seven had an extensive cranial implant that replaced a fair chunk of her grey matter. Whatever the Caeliar did to cause her implants to turn into dust would have, I assume, have done the same to the rewiring work the Borg had done inside her brain. So unless the Caeliar repaired the brain damage, I imagine that Seven would come out of this with severe brain damage that could probably never be repaired.

...if the Caeliar repaired her brain while disintegrating the Borg implant, I wonder if the new Annika wouldn't be resentful that she didn't transcend into a posthuman Caeliar form.

Either way, this could make for some interesting storytelling avenues.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I take it that the old rumor that..
    Earth would be destroyed
    ... didn't actually occur?

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I believe that very question was answered when I enquired about a prediction I made a few months back about Mr Mack going after the
    WHOLE Solar System!

But to answer, then no, it is still there, but as I haven't gotten a copy yet I'm not sure in what state she is in.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think that ever reached the level of full-fledged rumor, just wild speculation on somebody's part.

6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If nothing else, David has outdone himself with the number of people killed in a Star Trek novel. It makes the events of Tezwa look mild by comparison.

7. Quimby

Quimby Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really enjoyed Book 3 over all but I wanted to say that I agree with the above. If there was one blemish, it is the handling of Picard. This whole concept of how Picard is obsessed and wears blinders with regard to the Borg comes from First Contact and was a flawed characterization from the start (I am a lone voice in the wilderness, but I found FC weak for this and other reasons). Picard had a chance to destroy the Borg years earlier in "I, Borg" and true to his nature, decided against it. To throw that away cuts to the core of who the character is. It wasn't David Mack's choice I suppose, since, as I wrote, it was established in the movie, but it still is disappointing to me. Otherwise a great job!

8. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

See, I don't understand the frustration about Picard's state of mind here. Considering all he's been through, and the fact that he now has a wife and a baby on the way, I don't see how he couldn't have cracked a little. Maybe people want to see him in Kirk-God mode, single-handedly destroying the Borg with his hands and charisma. Humans are flawed, and are going to go through low periods that challenge who they are and they (hopefully) come out the better for it. To expect otherwise undermines the point of drama and is, frankly, unrealistic.

Nyotarules likes this.
  9. JeremyW

JeremyW Commander Red Shirt

My goodness....well, I'll just say this: I picked up the book on Wednesday and finished it in the same night. My final Destiny review is forthcoming, but I just have to say this: this book was downright amazing! My thoughts were this at the end: there's no more?! Dave, you did a great job with it. And yes, I love the religious overtones in the book. And, you even had me dig to find stuff when compiling my review. (Like my first question, 'what the freak does 'Logos' mean?') When I found out, lightbulbs went off in my head, and I was just extremely excited for what you were accomplishing in the story.

Personally, I liked what was done to Picard, and I think it was essential that he play the role he played in the book. You had Dax, who was gung-ho, Picard, who was very cautious and pensive, and Riker, who balanced the two out. Everything's about balance, and the book did a great job of it.

There were a lot of gems in this story... too many to mention twice, so I'll save it for my review. Bacco's always a star, and I loved reading about her again in this story. I also liked the ultimate fate of the Borg Collective, and did not clue in whatsoever as to what powered the Caeliar cities until you mentioned "Particle 010"... in that context, the Borg's desire to assimilate Omega at all costs made sense.

All in all, very sweet read! As I said, review forthcoming.

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Sure there is: A Singular Destiny, Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, Losing the Peace....... :D

11. JeremyW

Keith, are you sure you're not somehow a Caeliar yourself and can tune your catoms to what I write? I mentioned something similar in my forthcoming review. Here's an excerpt.

I was like, there’s no more?! Considering I’m about to take a two year leave of absence from the world and go serve a mission, it’s unlikely that I’ll get to read Over A Torrent Sea (I always want to say Bridge Over A Torrent Sea), Full Circle or Losing The Peace, I leave knowing that what I get to come back to is going to be amazing. (Yes, I’m probably going to get to read A Singular Destiny)

12. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I GUESS I can cut some Picard some slack, seeing that he did save the universe recently :rommie:.

I went back and read the Picard scenes in the book again. It isn't that they are bad or out of character for his frame of mind. I think what really bothered me about it in the end is that he basically contributed nothing. Actually he hindered the mission. He may as well not have even been there, he could have just taken a long nap and let Worf command. I'm not saying that Picard always has to be the one to save the day, but he should always be a major player, especially in this situation. He only formulated one real plan, and let Geordi of all people change his mind about it, so that doesn't count. Crying on the holodeck during a full on Borg invasion is so pathetic. He is supposed to be a Starfleet captain and put his personal feelings on the backburner, especially in a HUGE crisis like this. So yeah, this really did bug me (though it was still well written).

Also, why is Ezri so respectful of Picard at the end? Based on his actions in this book she should think his reputation is overrated and basically think that he should retire.

13. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

Concerning Picard, I have been wondering to what extend the hunger might have still been influencing him. Perhaps that might account for his obsession since FC with destroying the Borg, and being in close proximity to 7000 cubes might explain why he was willing to abandon his principles and entertain the idea of the thalaron weapon. Maybe as the hunger drives the borg to assimilate it was having an impact on Picard to destroy.

14. JeremyW

Considering the fact that the hunger spoken of was mixed with human aggression, what you say would make perfect sense. After all, the Collective was just an extension of humanity's dark shadow, and not at all unreasonable to think in such terms.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If it were any threat other than the Borg, that's exactly what he would've done. It's hard to understand just how horrific his ordeal as Locutus was. The Borg broke him. They violated him, enslaved him, made him into a tool for killing thousands of his own people. There's no way he could ever entirely get over such a deep psychological wound. It would be two-dimensional writing to portray Picard as someone who would react exactly the same way to a huge invasion by the Borg as he would to any other danger. Yes, what you describe is what he's "supposed to be," but the Borg tore him apart, shattered his sense of identity, and though he put himself together again, there's still a big Locutus-shaped crack remaining. So it's not as easy to be who he's supposed to be when the Borg are hammering at that weak spot in his psyche. Especially when he's just committed to starting a family, something that's bound to throw his sense of identity into flux.

That was the whole point of Picard's behavior in this trilogy. Yes, it was drastically out of character for him, but there was a very good reason why it was. He was failing to behave the way Jean-Luc Picard would ideally behave, and that was exactly the problem he had to resolve. And he needed his friends and fellow officers to help him do that.

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got a copy in a Border's express today, so by the end of the weekend, I should be done. I can also click on all of the spoiler buttons.

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Finished the book yesterday, great end to a fucking amazing trilogy. A big win and lose at the same time for the Federation. And all the revelations really make sense and correct some of what was bothering me about the Borg since the introduction of the Queen.

18. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

When Dave's next book comes out, I want to see "Praise for the work of David Mack" on the first few pages, including this quote:

Just sayin'.

19. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I can accept that he cracked. Maybe I'm being too tough on the guy, I just kind of assumed that he had dealt more fully with these issues in First Contact and later in Resistance, Before Dishonor, Greater Than the Sum and the 1st two Destiny books.
    I still would have liked to have seen him take a slightly more proactive role in what was going on, but it isn't a huge deal.

I am happy that this dark period of Picard's life seems to be over though.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I think what we get with Picard is a man who has just been pushed and pushed and pushed, and now that he's actually trying to move on with his life in a big way all hell rains down on not only him but the whole of everything he's worked for.

Picard's issue, even in the series, has been his tendency to internalize a lot of what's going on with him and his life. And eventually there's not room left, there's nothing left to do but say "I'm done, I can't do it anymore".