Star Trek Vanguard: The Finale Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by David Mack, Mar 9, 2012.

1. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

In the case of ATT - I think the difference from VAN lies in that ATT was a set of 4-5 different stories by 6 authors, where each could have worked as a separate novel / duology. Not so, with VAN, which had told a tight inter-connected multi-arc but still *single* story by one set of authors basically working as a team.

In the case of ENT- where VAN was brought to its conclusion in practically the way its creators planned (going by the interviews and podcasts), ENT's "concluding" story (if it had indeed been planned to be that) was shortened and changed by Editorial.

That being said, and in light of the VAN authors interviews, I would love to get Michael Martin's input on the ENT Relaunch as a whole, including some details on the departure of Andy Mangels.

2. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

VAN was written with an endgame in mind when they started. Was ENT lit started with the end of the Romulan War as the intended ending or did sales and other issues bring about an end to ENT?

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, what I meant by ongoing was a series that wasn't going to be a preset length. Where the ATT books were, I believe, planned as 9 book, Vanguard wasn't promoted as being a specific number of books. I was using the comic book terminology there, I guess I could have been clearer.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No, you were clear enough; I was just being nitpicky.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I know this is a little late, but I've just finished reading Declassified, What Judgements Come, and Storming Heaven, all back-to-back in a few days. [I like to wait until series are done when possible so I don't have to get twitchy waiting for the next book.]

Damn, but that was awesome. I'd like to congratulate and deeply thank everyone involved in this series, it was a wonderful and moving experience. The only thing that compares in my TrekLit experience is New Frontier.

Well done!

6. Nigel66

Nigel66 Cadet Newbie

Hi, I`m about half way through "Storming Heaven" and it appears that the Orion Merchant Princess, Neera has been bumped off. The last I heard the Omari-Ekon had been ejected from Vanguard. Did I miss something? Was this written up elsewhere? It was a bit jarring as I half expected a re-appearance.

(Apologies if this is a spoiler but this is my first post and I don`t know how to hide text on this forum yet.)

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Welcome to the board!

To spoiler code something, you can click the "plus" symbol in the icon row above the text input box, then click "Spoiler", which is the second item on the drop-down. Alternatively, you can just type the tags "(SPOILER)" and "(/SPOILER)", but replace the round brackets with square brackets.

But no worries, this thread is a marked as a spoiler thread in the title, so it is OK to post uncoded spoilers in the thread as long as the spoiler is for the subject of the thread. (So, for example, you can post uncoded spoilers about Storming Heaven here, but not about the latest Strange New Worlds episode.)

8. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Re-read page 19 of Storming Heaven:

What none of the admirals at Starfleet Command had said aloud was that there was no way they were going to permit the Omari-Ekon to leave Vanguard’s jurisdiction with that kind of intel aboard as a lure for the Klingons, the Romulans, the Tholians, and whoever else might be vying for control over the Taurus Reach and its terrible secrets. Consequently, shortly after moving beyond the station’s patrol zone, the Omari-Ekon had suffered a sudden, disastrous mechanical failure, and, just as Reyes had suspected, the first ship to reach its smoldering wreckage had reported there were no survivors.​

9. Nigel66

Nigel66 Cadet Newbie

So it does!! I think I must have skipped the prologue (because it`s dated after the main body of the text) thinking to read in chronological order. What an idiot I am. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I started with "Harbinger (Prologue)", "Almost Tomorrow" and "Distant Early Warning" on May 21st. Can`t put them down. "In Tempest`s Wake", the SEEKER series and "Agent`s of Influence" are already lined up on my shelf. What on earth will I read whilst waiting for "Harms Way"??? Fantastic series, Mr. Mack. Thank you so much!

David Mack and aventinelover like this.
  10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ You’re more than welcome. :)

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has NOT been 10 years since Vanguard ended...... :wtf::wtf::wtf:

To this day, I see it as my favorite piece of TrekLit.

Leto_II, Jedi Ben, Thrawn and 6 others like this.