UT-TFV: "No Win Scenario"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by DarKush, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh... dear. :wtf:

That can't be good.

2. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holy crap, that's quite the situation that has unfolded. When does it end with them laughing over it at Quark's?

3. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if anyone's left to pick up the pieces ...

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

To your comments, no it's not good and unfortunately for most in involved there aren't going to be any reminiscences at Quark's.

Main Bridge
    USS Ariane

Commander Rhizzo grabbed her armrests as the compact ship dove underneath a volley from the Empress. What the Saber lacked in size and firepower, it made up for in speed and maneuverability.

“Pattern kappa 010,” Rhizzo ordered. Zileena worked in conjunction with the helm to execute the attack maneuver. The Zaranite lobbed several quick punches into the Galaxy’s secondary hull before rolling away from their returning fire.

“I can do this all day,” Rhizzo muttered. She wished a communications line had been open so she could’ve made the boast to Captain Erasia.

“But we shouldn’t,” Lt. Commander Atwell had leaned forward and was speaking quietly to her. “It seems that Captain Erasia has become as insistent on throwing away her career as you have.”

“I’m trying to prevent greater loss of life by showing the Kothlis’Ka we have resolve,” Rhizzo shot back. “The last thing we need is another Dominion, testing our resolve and finding us lacking enough to initiate a larger war.”

“And what kind of impression do you think breaking formation and getting into a tussle with the Empress is showing them?” Atwell wouldn’t back down. “It’s showing them that we are undisciplined, that we are irresolute.”

“I’ll do whatever it takes to defend the Federation!” The Zakdorn snarled.

“Then stop this insane battle,” Atwell pleaded.

“Captain,” Ops Officer Vidula interceded, “The K’mpec and Shuttlesworth have broken away and are headed toward the ongoing battle between the Chakuun and the Kothlis’Ka armada.”

“Which is where we should be going,” Atwell added.

“Maybe that’s one way to get Captain Erasia to fight the real enemy,” Rhizzo grinned. “If we have to drag her kicking and screaming into the maw of our adversaries that’s just what we’ll do.”

Main Bridge
    USS Empress

Captain Erasia had just sat upright, after the salvo from the Ariane had knocked her against one side of her command chair, when Commander Sheppard piped up.

“Ariane is disengaging,” the Brit said, “And is now following Shuttlesworth and K’mpec.”

“It appears that Commander Rhizzo is giving up the fight,” a relieved Chief Thav said from the aft engineering console.

“No,” Tan shook her head. “She’s just trying to draw me into the bigger battle.” The Efrosian’s face contorted with disgust. “How insufferable she is, to think she can force my hand this way.”

“Maybe she has a point,” Commander Sheppard suggested. Tan’s gaze was hotter than plasma.

“Elaborate,” she ordered; her voice even frigid enough to make her shiver. The first officer paused, collecting his thoughts and doubtlessly carefully selecting his words.

“Sir,” he began and then stopped. Another recalculation, “Perhaps we have…gotten confused about who the real enemy is here.”

“What do you mean by that?” She snapped.

“Commander Rhizzo’s actions had to be addressed,” he conceded, “but I think you’ve sent the appropriate message. Now it appears that she is back to supporting the other taskforce members.”

“How long is that going to last?” Tan demanded. “She’s too much of a wildcard.”

“I don’t deny that,” Sheppard said, “I mean, really no one can after her behavior these past several days. But maybe a wildcard is exactly what we need right now.”

“I don’t follow,” Erasia replied.

“We are grossly outnumbered and we can’t be sure yet if the Chakuun will be on our side or not,” the first officer pointed out. “Being unpredictable, throwing out the rule book, might just be the thing that saves us.”

“Commander Sheppard might be right,” Thav said, “I mean, there’s nothing in the rule book to address this situation.”

Tan pushed up from her seat so that she could turn around and look her old friend in the eye. “Not you as well.”

The thickset Andorian shrugged, “I don’t see how dropping this hatchet will make things any worse.”

“I think you mean burying,” Sheppard piped up.

“Excuse me?” Thav asked and the captain looked askance.

“Never mind,” the first officer said, “It’s a human thing.” Thav laughed.

“Humans,” he muttered, shaking his head. The captain smiled sympathetically.

“Let’s join the rest of our taskforce,” Tan said, “We’ll deal with Rhizzo later.” The captain felt the tension ease on the bridge with her proclamation. Her crew would much rather be facing the Kothlis’Ka than each other.

Erasia sat back down, tugging her tunic as she did so. She had to admit that an albatross had been lifted from around her neck. One that had been placed on her neck by Commander Rhizzo and one removed from it…at least for now.

That didn’t sit too well with her. While contemplating that sad state of affairs, Erasia ordered the helm to pursue the Ariane, but this time in the spirit of amity.

5. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suddenly feel like we're gonna see a court martial at some point. Or an admiral chewing out someone. Great work, Darkush!

6. DarKush

Admiral,

A court martial might be in the offing, but that depends on who survives this battle, and then on top of that who survives what else will behalf the next intercept group four.

Main Bridge
    USS K’mpec

Captain Tanaka held on for dear life. The structural integrity field holding the ship together strained in the grip of the shockwave. The powerful aftermath of the explosion battered the K’mpec around like one of the toy ships he used to play with as a boy.

But this was certainly no game he knew, as he pushed past his fear to bark commands. The helm rode the waves as best she could, in an attempt to break free of the vise. Kenji refused to look in the direction of his first officer’s chair. He knew that Lt. Commander Mehita was crumpled at its feet, her neck bent at a horrendous angle.

Tanaka wasn’t sure if Mehita was the first to fall, but he was certain she wouldn’t be the last.

Main Bridge
    USS Shuttlesworth

Captain Ottah had been mere minutes behind the K’mpec but that had been enough. He had quickly ordered the ship to turn hard about, just scraping against the wave that had carried Captain Tanaka’s ship aloft.

Despite that unfortunate turn, at least K’mpec still had a fighting chance. Ottah would never forget the image of the Baltimore vaporized before him, caught in an explosion that wiped out a great swath of the Chakuun fleet. Now the survivors appeared as lost and directionless as he felt.

But he would have to worry about them later. “Commander M’Reah, prepare a tractor beam,” he ordered, “We’re going after K’mpec and plucking her from that maelstrom.”

Battle Lattice
    Chakuun ghost ship Eviscerator

The Cohort-Major did his best to refashion the lattice, but so many minds had been lost. The lattice had been shattered beyond repair. The weight of the void was too much to bear. He damned himself for fleetingly thinking of retreating, of skulking back to Tholia to ask the Ruling Conclave for more vessels, including Tholian ones. It would be the greatest shame he could ever incur upon his bloodline and the reputation of his people.

However he saw no other way to defeat the invaders than with the full might of the Tholian Assembly. Yet he could not admit such weakness. So, only one other option was left to him.

He sent his command through the strands that he remained in contact with, using his grief to compel himself on the skeptical and to castigate the skittish. The battle might be lost but honor could be maintained. Die with honor, was his only command.

7. DarKush

Main Bridge
    USS Shuttlesworth

Captain Ottah winced, symbiotically feeling the strain of his ship as its tractor beam tried to hold on to the bucking K’mpec as both ships were buffeted by the shockwave. The captain had ordered the helm to skim Shuttlesworth along the wave, bouncing along it and using its power to propel the vessel closer to the K’mpec.

“Now we’ve just got to get out of here,” Ottah said, informing no one and everyone.

“I already got something in mind,” the chief engineer said from her aft console.

“Let’s hear it,” Ottah glanced back at the Algolian.

“We can reconfigure the Bussard collectors to intake energy from the shockwave and then expel it, pushing K’mpec out of the shockwave.” The engineer said, “But there’s a catch.”

“Of course,” the captain said, “What is it?”

“It’s going to require a lot of energy to reinforce the collectors, to keep them from exploding and we are going to have to draw it from all over the ship, including shields and structural integrity,” she said.

“Well, it will only be for a few seconds,” Ottah reasoned.

“Captain,” the Dekendi tactical officer interjected, “I object to this course of action.”

Ottah nodded at the woman. “Noted,” he said, “But we’ll proceed anyway.”

“Sir, it will leave us vulnerable,” the tactical officer pressed.

“And if we don’t act it will leave the crew of the K’mpec dead, and I cannot allow that,” the captain declared.

“It is possible that they will be able to successfully ride out the shock wave,” the Dekendi refused to let it go.

“Not without our tractor beam and we are straining the tractor beam generator as it is,” the chief engineer said. “If we want to save them, we need to act and we need to act now.”

“But it will leave us vulnerable against the Kothlis’Ka and the Chakuun,” the Dekendi pointed at the screen. Ottah followed her finger and shuddered at the scene before them. As if suddenly powerless Chakuun ships en masse were dropping onto and diving into Kothlis’Ka vessels.

“If one of those ships hit us with weakened shielding…” the tactical officer didn’t finish her sentence.

“It will only be a few seconds,” the chief engineer surmised. “And then we can put the shields back up, full strength.”

“It’s the best option we’ve got,” Ottah said, “But admittedly it is not without risk. However I couldn’t look into my reflection again if we did not make this attempt.” Ottah quickly glanced at the other bridge officers to gauge their feedback. He got a lot of affirming nods, gestures, and vocalizations. The tactical officer still looked reluctant but she kept any further concerns to herself.

“Get to work on it Chief,” Ottah ordered. The Edoan informed Captain Tanaka of their plan. The human was also in agreement. Once Tanaka signed off, Ottah watched as the tall, lithe woman hunched over her terminal, her long fingers moving like arachnid legs.

She looked up moments later and declared, “Sir, its ready.”

“Proceed,” Ottah ordered. The lighting on the bridge dimmed and the natural noises of machinery grew quieter as power was diverted to the collectors. The viewer shifted from the K’mpec to the space above the warp nacelles. He held his breath as the two pulsing red collectors, each on the tip of the warp nacelles, began to inhale the chaotic energy surrounding them.

“We are ready to expel the energy,” the engineer said. Ottah exhaled.

“Do it,” he ordered. The engineer unleashed the energy at the K’mpec. Crimson pulses blasted from the collectors, scooping the K’mpec up and pushing it out of the wave.

Cheers erupted from the bridge as the Akira-class ship broke free. It took Ottah a second to realize that he was the loudest noisemaker.

Feeling a bit self-conscious, his cheeks warming over with embarrassment, the captain cleared his throat. “Contact the K’mpec,” he ordered. On the other end, Captain Tanaka’s grin was as wide as Ottah’s.

“Thank you and your crew,” Tanaka said. “We wouldn’t have made it without you.”

“All in a day’s work,” Ottah dipped his head. “You would’ve done the same for me.”

“Don’t be so sure about that,” the K’mpec captain joked. The two men shared a laugh. “So what’s next?” Tanaka asked after the laughter died down.

“I think we need to be the referees between Captain Erasia and Commander Rhizzo,” Ottah said, his smile evaporating.

“Time to blow the whistle again,” Tanaka said, just as mirthlessly.

8. CeJay

The old adage holds true, high risk equates to high rewards. This time.

And the battle, it seems, is far from over.

9. DarKush

Thanks CeJay,

I got a real bad case of writer's block so I apologize for the long time between segments. Hopefully this story will be wrapped up early in the new year.

Main Bridge
    USS Empress

The loudest shout came from Captain Erasia as she watched the miracle save of the K’mpec. “Let’s get in there and help them,” she told the helm. “Once we’re close enough, we’ll activate the thoron shield.”

“Aye,” Commander Sheppard said, not hiding the grin on his face.

“Inform Ariane and the others,” Erasia said. Empress swept in beside the Shuttlesworth while Ariane gracefully sidled up to the K’mpec.

“Ready to activate thoron shield on your mark,” a subdued Commander Rhizzo said after hailing Empress. Captains Ottah and Tanaka quickly replied in turn.

Captain Erasia breathed a sigh of relief once the shield enveloped the taskforce. Chasing the shockwave had taken them away from the major battle ground and now she could look on with growing horror as the Chakuun rammed their ships into the Kothlis’Ka fleet, creating violent, horrific explosions. The Kothlis’Ka was trying to fight back but Chakuun’s suicidal drive was overwhelming them.

“That’s one way to take the fight to the enemy,” Rhizzo said, over the still open channel.

“It appears to be getting results,” Ottah said quietly, and Erasia heard the sadness welling in his voice.

“But why?” Tanaka asked, the outrage building in his voice. “All of this loss, it’s just so senseless.”

Erasia shook her head, an inkling of the Chakuun mindset blossoming in her mind. “The Chakuun know they can’t win, but they’re sending a message,” she said.

“Yes,” Rhizzo concurred. The woman agreeing with her rankled, but Tan ignored the unpleasant sensation.

“This last ditch, scorched earth tactic will not stop the Kothlis’Ka, and they know it, but it has to be their hope that such madness will make the Kothlis’Ka survivors relinquish any plans they have to sojourn through Tholian space.”

“That makes sense,” Tanaka said, clearly mulling over Erasia’s words.

“So what are we to do?” Ottah asked, “Just watch them slaughter each other?”

Erasia didn’t answer the question immediately. She already knew her answer, but she didn’t want to give voice to it, she didn’t want to commit her ship and crew to it. But deep down, the petty part of herself simply didn’t want to give Commander Rhizzo the satisfaction.

“I think now’s the time to send our own message to the Kothlis’Ka,” Erasia concluded, “We want them to leave this part of space completely, and perhaps that will not be accomplished without drawing their blood.”

10. DarKush

Captain’s Ready Room
    USS Empress

Captain Erasia had to tear herself away from the bridge, but she felt a private meeting was necessary. She didn’t want to expose her crew or any of the other crews to more dissension among their ship commanders.

If Rhizzo was going to balk Tan preferred the woman did it privately. So far, surprisingly, the Zakdorn hadn’t voiced any opposition to Erasia’s battle plan. Now Erasia waited while her compatriots mulled her idea over.

“It’s going to be tricky,” Tanaka said, rubbing his chin. The other commanders floated above the floor, their holograms emitted by projectors hastily installed by Chief Thav.

“A lot of precision flying will be involved,” Ottah nodded, “I mean precise.”

“If you’re jockeys aren’t up to it Ottah, you can borrow one of my helmsmen,” Rhizzo offered. The Edoan frowned at the woman’s bravado.

“Captain Ottah is correct,” Tan said, never denying herself an opportunity to splash cold water on Commander Rhizzo. “Our ships and the warp vehicles are going to have to fly between dropping Chakuun ships and Kothlis’Ka ships either attacking them or trying to avoid them.”

“For once in this fight it pays to have the smallest vessels on the battlefield,” Tanaka pointed out.

“Not to mention the speediest and most maneuverable,” Ottah added.

“Do you think that taking out just one seed ship will call off the dogs?” Rhizzo asked, voicing her first skepticism.

“I think it’s the best way to send a clear message that we will not tolerate their further incursion into our space,” Erasia said. “And let’s be honest, we don’t know as of yet that we actually can destroy even one of their seed ships.”

“One is a good place to start though,” Tanaka piped up.

“And then we can demand they leave our space,” Ottah said.

“I don’t know, maybe we should just let them continue onto into Romulan space,” Rhizzo said, “Perhaps they can destroy each other.”

“Or they could become allies,” Tan said.

“But more than likely they’ll set their sights on Federation space after plundering the Star Empire,” Tanaka replied. “We need to stop them now, while they are preoccupied with fending off the Chakuun.”

“If we are going to do this, we need to do it now…and as one,” Erasia said. Ottah and Tanaka shifted to look at Rhizzo.

“This is hopeless,” the Zakdorn protested, “Insane even.” The woman paused and looked at her colleagues, her gaze eventually finding Erasia’s. She grinned crookedly. “Captain Erasia, I didn’t think you had it in you.”

11. CeJay

Rhizzo lending her support to this last, desperate effort to stop the juggernaut fleet does not exactly fill me with confidence. Here comes the last hurrah ...

12. DarKush

CeJay,

So it begins....

Main Bridge
    USS Empress

Captain Erasia regretted not having the thoron shield to protect them. But each ship needed maneuverability as it navigated through the battlefield. Ariane, no surprise, was in the lead. The remaining warp vehicles trailed behind her.

Tan had reluctantly given control of them back to Commander Rhizzo. She hoped that wasn’t a decision that she would come to regret even more than ditching the thoron shielding.

The ship rocked to the left and her head snapped to the side, “What was that?”

“A shockwave from a fusion caster discharge,” Commander Sheppard answered. “Minimal damage to the starboard shields.”

“Keep her steady,” Erasia barked at the helm.

“Aye sir,” the flight control officer replied crisply.

“I know you’re a bit on edge,” Sheppard leaned over toward the captain, his voice low, “but Lt. Tobiaston is doing the best she can.”

“I’m aware of that,” Tan said tightly, her face darkening. “Now is not the time for screw ups. There will be no do overs.”

“We’re all aware of that…sir,” her first officer icily replied.

“Listen Mark, I don’t mean to be…so…disagreeable,” Erasia conceded. “I just want us to survive this.”

“I would wager that everyone on this boat and aboard the other ships feels the same way,” he said.

“But with Rhizzo controlling the warp vehicles,” she didn’t finish her statement.

“I understand your trepidations captain, but we need her being that wild card,” Sheppard reminded her.

“I know,” she paused as she juked in her seat involuntarily. Lt. Tobiaston angled the ship quickly around a hurtling propulsion drive that had broken off from a Chakuun warship.

“We’re so close,” she said, eyeing the main viewer and the monolithic seed ship now within their sights. “All we have to do is strike it and warp away to a safe distance and make our demand. And I’m spooked because it’s going well so far…too well.”

“Give it time,” Sheppard grimly replied. “Give it time.”

13. CeJay

I'm going to close my eyes now ... tell me when it's over.

14. DarKush

Main Bridge
    USS Shuttlesworth

“One of the Kothlis’Ka warships is in pursuit,” the tactical officer said.

“On screen,” Captain Ottah ordered. The image shifted from the seed ship before them to the attack cruiser gaining speed behind them.

“Kothlis’Ka vessel is charging weapons,” the Dekendi officer added.

“Alter course to engage them,” Ottah said.

“Sir, are you certain?” Lt. Commander M’Reah asked. “What about the plan to attack the seed ship en masse?”

“It appears we won’t be part of that strike force,” Ottah frowned, “And to protect Captain Erasia and the rest as best we can, we need to buy them as much time as possible.” He paused, “Inform Captain Erasia of the situation.”

“Aye sir,” the Caitian replied briskly.

Ottah felt the slight give in the deck plating as the Nebula-class vessel turned to face the oncoming warship. “Full power to forward shields.” After admiring its wicked looking curves, “Tanaka was right, it is like a flying bat’leth.”

“Kothlis’Ka vessel is preparing to fire,” the tactical officer said with surprising calm.

“Hit them first with quantum torpedoes, phasers, and the tricobalt device, full spread,” Ottah ordered. He was pleased that Juriaan struck fire. The deck plating trembled and the captain dug into his armrests as a flurry of quantum torpedoes and shafts of light from the ship’s phasers and tricobalt device slammed into the Kothlis’Ka vessel.

A cheer went up on the bridge as a powerful explosion engulfed the enemy ship. “Not so tough now,” Lt. Zaiden, sitting at an auxiliary console, bragged.

Ottah was just coming back down to the Edos when Commander M’Reah snapped, “Evasive maneuvers!”

“What is it?” Ottah said, right before he caught sight of the main viewer. The Kothlis’Ka ship hadn’t been destroyed. The barrage had damaged it, but not enough. The ship had resumed its pursuit.

“Kothlis’Ka vessel is firing!” Lt. Juriaan said. “Neutronium rounds.”

“Evasive,” was all Ottah was able to get out before the slugs tore the Shuttlesworth to shreds.

Main Bridge
    USS K’mpec

Captain Kenji Tanaka leapt from his seat. “No, oh God no,” he said as he watched Shuttlesworth’s destruction. “We’ve got to go back, see if there are survivors.”

“Sir,” Lt. Commander Mehita said gently, “You know there aren’t. No one could’ve survived that.”

“Kothlis’Ka vessel is now advancing on us,” Lt. Retha said.

“They’re going to pick us off, one by one,” the Gnalish operations officer worriedly opined.

“Contact Empress,” Tanaka ordered, “We’re going to have to change our plan.”

15. DarKush

Main Bridge
    USS Empress

Both of Captain Erasia’s stomachs twisted into knots. The main viewer was split between Captain Tanaka and Commander Rhizzo. Both had tense looks on their faces.

“I’m breaking off from the seed ship and engaging the Kothlis’Ka warship,” Tanaka declared.

“You’d stand a better chance with assistance,” Erasia said, making up her mind. “We’ll do it together.”

“I think that’s exactly what the Kothlis’Ka wants,” Rhizzo balked. “Look at how they’ve moved the seed ships away from the main Chakuun attack. They have anticipated our gambit and are trying to distract us.”

Tan sighed, “You don’t know that Commander Rhizzo.”

“What else could it be?” The Zakdorn shrugged. “It’s imperative that we press on and take out one of their seed ships.”

“And leave ourselves open to being attacked from behind?” Tanaka was skeptical.

“We have little defense against their neutronium ammunition as it is, it doesn’t matter if we face them head on or not,” Rhizzo countered. “What we might have though is a speed advantage, which we are rapidly dwindling as we dawdle.”

“Commander I’m ordering you to engage the Kothlis’Ka warship,” Tan’s voice brooked no further debate.

“And I respectfully decline to follow that order,” Rhizzo said, a sad look on her face. “You might not believe this but I wish that things had been different.” She deactivated the link.

“Damn it Rhizzo,” Erasia pounded her armrests. “Lt. Quim, prepare to lock on a tractor beam on my mark.”

“Let her go Captain Erasia,” Tanaka pleaded, “Let it go.”

A war raged within her as she replayed her entire fraught relationship with Rhizzo. She should’ve thrown the woman into the brig days ago, but at this moment could Tan really say that the Zakdorn’s suspicions were wrong? And maybe splitting their forces might give them the fighting chance that was all she had been asking for.

“Okay,” Tan said quietly, resolving the idea in her mind, “We’ll let Ariane continue on to the seed ship while we engage the warship.”

“It’s really the best option we have,” Tanaka said, trying to be encouraging.

“It’s the best option we have now,” Erasia said, not hiding her bitterness. “I just wish Rhizzo Godspeed.”

“Me too,” Tanaka solemnly nodded. A rakish and inappropriate grin spread over the human’s face. “And now Captain, care to dance?”

16. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I already know how bad this is going to get, yet the sudden and almost effortless destruction of Shuttlesworth still caught me off guard. :eek:

Truly, this has become a real life no-win-scenario. All that remains is to watch how our heroes choose to meet their respective ends...

Damn.

17. CeJay

Well it was always apparent that Rhizzo would go down in flames in one heroic stand, just a matter of time. Shuttleworth's destruction was painful but I'm bracing myself. After all this is only going to get worse.

18. DarKush

CeJay and Gibraltar,

Thanks for reading and commenting always. I hope you enjoy how this all is going to end.

Main Bridge
    USS Empress

The words came too easily to Captain Erasia. She had spoken them now across countless battlefields, against the Klingons, Dominion, and Talarians. Her crew knew them damnably well by now too.

“Attack pattern omega two,” she called out and her crew complied. The Empress swung under the K’mpec, lobbing phaser fire at the oncoming Kothlis’Ka vessel. Above, the Akira-class starship did likewise. Symbiotically the two starships became whirling destruction.

“No damage to Kothlis’Ka shields,” Commander Sheppard didn’t hide his disappointment.

“Keep firing,” she commanded. “Perhaps we can keep them off balance so they won’t be able to fire their neutronium rounds.”

Erasia reluctantly had to order Empress to hold fire as she broke from the K’mpec to avoid colliding with the Kothlis’Ka vessel. Empress went below it and did her best to soften its underbelly as it passed the ship. She was satisfied to see a few shots hit home, disrupting the shield encapsulating the enemy ship.

“Minimal damage to their shields,” Sheppard reported.

“That’s a start,” she felt encouraged. Erasia ordered the ship to come about. K’mpec matched her.

“Care to do this again Captain Tanaka?” She asked. She had maintained audio communication with the K’mpec.

“Certainly,” he replied. The Kothlis’Ka vessel was slowly turning to face them. Tan couldn’t shake the feeling that the aliens were toying with them and that eventually their patience would end.

“How about we add quantum torpedoes to the mix this time?” She suggested, hiding her growing fears.

“You’re reading my mind,” Tanaka quipped.
    Main Bridge
    USS Ariane

When Commander Rhizzo saw the spheres eject from the seed ship she understood why the Kothlis’Ka warships had left the larger vessels unattended.

“We’ve got incoming,” Lt. Commander Atwell stated the obvious.

“Evasive maneuvers,” Rhizzo also stated the obvious. “And put the warp vehicles into play. Form a layer around us.” The first officer carried out her orders and the warp vehicles fell into place around the Saber-class ship. The extra protection didn’t make the Zakdorn feel any better.

“The spheres will be on us in twenty seconds, what do we do?” Atwell asked.

“Win this fight,” she replied. “The only way I know how. I’m going to activate the isolytic burst.”

“What?” Atwell didn’t hide his shock. “I thought Captain Erasia confiscated our weapon.”

Rhizzo chuckled. “You didn’t think I just had only one constructed did you?”

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  19. DarKush

Main Bridge
    USS Empress

The quantum torpedoes had done some damage to the enemy ship, but not enough. Energy beams from the Kothlis’Ka vessel lashed into Empress, throwing Captain Erasia from her seat. She landed painfully on her knees, an agonizing jolt running from her wrists up her arms when she threw out her hands to break her fall.

Ignoring her pain, Erasia climbed back into her seat. She dabbed at the wetness from her eyes, brought on by the smoke rising from burning consoles. “Status report,” she barked.

“Hull breaches, Decks Five through Twelve,” Lt. Aarti called out. “Auxiliary shielding is in place over the breaches.” The Kothlis’Ka had spared them the neutronium rounds and instead had decided to carve them up with energy beams. So far her crew hadn’t figured out what powered the beams, but in the end, it didn’t matter. All that did was that the Kothlis’Ka warship was starting to punch through the ship’s weakened shields. They were starting to win.

“We can’t take much more of this,” Commander Sheppard said through gritted teeth. A nasty gash ran from the corner of the man’s eye to under his chin. Blood poured through the wound and onto the deck plating. The man needed medical attention, but she needed him more on the bridge.

“I know,” she said, “But we only have to distract this ship to give Rhizzo the time she needs.”

“And how long will that take?” Sheppard voiced skepticism. She didn’t have to be a Betazoid to tell that the man didn’t trust the unpredictable Zakdorn.

“As much time as it takes,” she snapped, feeling terrible for the emotional outburst and a bit defensive about letting Rhizzo go the final time.

She pondered if she would go to her grave wondering if she did the right thing.

Main Bridge
    USS K’mpec

The ship rocked so hard Captain Tanaka’s teeth clattered.

“Sir, Engineering is reporting a warp core breach,” Lt. Commander Mehita informed him.

“Damn it,” Tanaka said. “Order everyone to evacuate the ship!”

“Sir, we can’t send them out into that!” The Ktarian balked. She pointed at the cracked viewscreen, which was still displaying the hellish battle around them.

“What other choice do we have? A likely death or a certain one? Do as command,” he said, his tone inviting no further debate.

“Yes sir,” the woman said crisply.

“Hopefully the Kothlis’Ka will ignore the escape pods. They might not see them as a threat.”

“We were spared once,” Mehita said. “I don’t think we can count on such luck again.”

“You better hope so, because I want you on a pod.”

“No sir.”

“That’s an order!”

“Which I’m refusing to follow.”

“I could relieve you, bring you up on charges!”

“Sir, somehow I don’t think I’m going to see the inside of a Starfleet courtroom or stockade.”

“Heh, I think you’re right. I guess you’ll be staying with me.” He looked around the shattered bridge. None of the officers had left their post. “I guess that goes for the lot of you huh?” They all nodded grimly. Tanaka couldn’t help but smile.

“So, what’s the plan sir?” Mehita asked.

“We ram this ship down their throats,” Tanaka answered.

20. CeJay

Last desperate actions. Let's hope they'll make a difference.