I Like Abrams

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Triumphant, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just reading someone saying something about him in the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum, and I'm just saying: I like the guy. I don't know him personally, but during the filming of Star Trek 09, he was roaming around the set in an Infocom shirt. I freakin' love Zork and the other old Infocom games! So, until given a direct reason for it not to be true, we're cool.

Why do I mention this? Because I feel like I see a LOT of comments - and I've almost certainly been guilty of this, myself, regarding Frakes and B & B - where people have clearly just allowed themselves to turn these people into the stupidest, most evil and poorly intentioned people EVER. They can't just be people who are trying to make the best entertainment they can and live their lives, and are just misguided or bad at it, or bad at doing it in a way that makes all of us happy. No, instead, THEY ARE RAPING OUR BELOVED HOBBY!!!1!!one!

It is more fun, perhaps, to demonize people who do things we don't like, but, it is also pretty much directly against the hopeful vision for mankind's future that Roddenberry and others have tried to show us. An impulse that we need to get past in each of us if we're ever going to achieve anything close to it.

And for the record, while I want JANEWAY cycled through the airlock, I quite like Kate Mulgrew, too. :)

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think THIS says it all.

3. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Lieutenant Red Shirt

The only problem I have with Abrams is his lens-flare fetish. Aside from that, he's the greatest thing to happen to Star Trek in a long, long time. I'm saying this as a 42 year-old fan of the Original Series too :).

4. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Abrams ran out of Trek ideas after one film and had to recycle The Wrath of Khan for his second film. I think THAT says it all.

5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

See, that's just rude.

Maybe he thought that was what we wanted - and from what I recall on this board, for a good many of us, he was right! So many people here speculating on Khan being in it that if he made his decision by reading our board (doubtful, but still) and seeing what idea was generating the most buzz, then we probably would have selected Khan for him.

Why does it have to be that he "ran out of ideas"? He was an admitted outsider - primarily a Star Wars fan - trying to make us happy!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

Other than the death scene (which was a clever use of their AU premise, IMO), how was it a remake any more than Man of Steel was a remake of Superman II? Characters are not stories. The Khan in ID was completely different to the Khan in WoK with different motivation (saving his people vs. revenge on Kirk) and the entire thing takes place under entirely different circumstances. How is the film a remake?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

They are brilliant films just because they are not like the original series does not make it bad.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think Abrams is a good writer, just his style is not compatible with Star Trek.

Also Moore or Behr shouldn't be in charge of a Lost reboot.

Putting JJ Abrams in charge of Star Trek would be as bad as putting Brannon Braga in charge of 24! Wait, shit.

9. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have a problem with the new movies. They're entertaining and a nice way to kill a couple of hours. That's the way I feel about the TNG movies too.

My favorites, and my preference, are with the TOS crew, but I still watch and enjoy the others.

Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof, etc. get a bad rap for no real reason. They're doing what they were hired to do: make Star Trek movies that will put butts in seats. I'd say they've been pretty successful so far.

The fact that fans can pick these movies apart detail by detail says to me that Abrams has done his job. Whether these fans like the movies or not is irrelevant. They're paying to see them. Over and over and over ...

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To make the kind of money in film receipts, DVD sales, and merchandising, then any projects will likely be spectacles since that has mass appeal. That's never going to make fans like myself very happy who love the stories of Trek over forty years of watching them. Partially that doesn't influence the decision making process since a) we'll watch the films regardless because we love the films and tv shows so much. Believe me, Star Trek the Motion Picture was lousy. Watch, some of it was very forced and people were groaning when they watched it, and we were all die-hard fans who wanted it to be great. It got better over time, but had hits and misses. Star Trek V anyone? But II and IV were so enjoyable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0W852wflMA

B) the younger crowd will always go see the latest spectacle.

C) their parents will buy the merchandise to please B

The books, whether authorized or fanfiction will perhaps please more because there's far more time to develop those stories and to attempt to follow some sense of canon and not reinvent the wheel to please newer generations. A lot of young people don't read.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What merchandise?! There's fuck all merchandise. Certainly very little "parents of the younger crowd" will be buying since you have to go searching for it and it's not screaming at you in every toy aisle like Star Wars.

12. SpocksLeftEar

SpocksLeftEar Lieutenant

You poor misguided soul. I hope someone who believes in god prays for you. :guffaw:

13. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

While I realize that you're joking, please keep the personal commentary about other posters out of the thread.

14. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The longer the period in which there is no serialized version of Star Trek for people to see and to enjoy, then the less any future Star Trek will have any semblance to the original series. Too much time passes, and in media that's a death rattle because of the sense of immediacy that's needed to cause people to attend a film.

The last episodes of Star Trek Enterprise ran in 2005. Consider that, and if folks with now many science fiction media forms to choose from are going to watch a film strictly because of name recognition. That's the world we live in.

The reboot wasn't terrible by any means. I thought Leonard Nimoy did a very honorable thing by making the creative decision not to appear with Zac Quinto in the sequel. He didn't want to detract from the mythos they were creating nor in that young actor's work.

Star Trek can't stay static and survive. Nostalgia is for older folks after all. We have influence over the franchise, but to a smaller degree.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

Erm... Nimoy did appear with Zach in the sequel, albeit briefly on the viewscreen.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  16. teacake

They had a conversation, can't get more appearing together than that.

17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention the tv commercial they did together. Nimoy was not distancing himself from Quinto in any way that I can see.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love what Abrams has done, and I love the world he's constructed. He kept the framework, but built everything else his way, and I think it worked. As for Berman/Braga, and the others, they did a good job. Yeah, there were some stinkers, but no one can write hundreds and hundreds of episodes and still keep everything as fresh as the first one. So I think they did well, considering the sheer volume of material they had to churn out over the course of 15+ years.

I still believe Rick Berman had the best of intentions when he was running the franchise. I don't agree with every choice he made, but I don't doubt he did his best.

19. teacake

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) some day seeing what a Trek series looks like when there are 13 eps a year, rather than the 22+ churn out. I think it will be awesome.

20. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about the new movies. (I don't hate them and I don't love them.) Where are the models? The toys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.