Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Chris McKenna would probably work as a new showrunner, since the show is definitely losing its other two co-showrunners. I listened to a Nerdist Writers Panel podcast that Harmon was on earlier this year (and another that Ganz and McKenna had been on), and Harmon left me with the impression that those two are probably the biggest influences on the show after him. McKenna is already a co-EP, so maybe he could just be promoted to EP and Ganz could be made a co-EP.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The opening Credits to Cougar Town today had been mutilated.

It said "Cougarton Abbey" and not Cougartown.

It's like we're flies and they're pulling our wings off.

(edit)

Double episode.

The next one says

Cougartown: Are we still on ???

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay tonight community we got three episodes of community and 30 Rock. Are these the season finales?

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

If they are, only two of them will be.

6. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Wow, three new Community episodes in one night.

The video game episode was aired out of order I'm guessing?

All three were good episodes with the finale being the best.

I'm wondering if the montage at the end is going to pay off next season or if it was just for fun.

Oh, and Starburns lives!

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I found it interesting that the season finale (Introduction to Finality) takes place after summer break. Last week's episode (Curriculum Unavailable) takes place two months after being kicked out of school.

This made for some weird timeline issues, much like the episode after the extended break where it seemed like it was supposed to be a new semester. That should have aired in January instead of April. But that has a lot to do with NBC screwing around with the viewing order.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Are you sure? Jeff was going on and on about his biology final through the whole episode. Why would he be taking a final after the summer break? Or did they actually say it was after the summer, and I just missed it?

I did miss like the first minute of the ep, so that's possible. :ouch:

9. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yea. Jeff has a line where he talks about having to have spent his entire summer making up this biology course which was why he just wanted to study for the final and not deal with anything else. You'd have thought the Dean after being freed from imprisonment by the gang could have floated them all a passing grade in Biology in the course that got canceled. ;)

I loved the 8bit episode. So basically this season we had an episode almost entirely in claymation and another in 8bit style. Why I love this show.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

ARGH! I watched the Video Game episode and forgot about the other two!

I gotta find some illegal website now...

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ahh, okay. Thanks! That probably was in the very first minute that I missed. :alienblush:

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, did anybody else put on their home-made felt goatee when Lame Abed turned into Evil Abed, and then took it off again when Evil Abed transitioned back to normal Abed?

Just me then? :alienblush:

13. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of the final three episode they played I thought the video game ep was the best.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dan Harmon is out as showrunner, he'll be replaced by two guys who worked on Happy Endings and Aliens in America, whatever those shows are. :shrug:

You know, I would have been okay with Harmon going if he had been replaced with someone else on the writing staff, but bringing in new people makes me worry that they're going to try and retool the show and make it more mainstream, which is kinda dumb for a niche show that's clearly on its last legs. My optimism is fading. :(

ETA: Chris McKenna and Dino Stamatopoulos are leaving over Harmon being pushed out, the Russo brothers appear to have left Sony altogether, Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan have already announced that they're leaving for to work for Fox. The creative team behind the show is being gutted.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  15. PsychoPere

The highest profile previous series for Guarascio and Port was running Just Shoot Me! for a little while (seasons five and six, it looks like). It appears they've been with Sony Pictures Television for years, so Sony must have decided that it was better for the company to move those two with an existing contract to Community rather than renew Harmon's contract. Vulture says that Harmon and Sony have had difficulties since the beginning of the show due to Harmon's management style (with the most recent public example being, of course, the Chevy Chase situation).

I'm disappointed that Harmon is leaving (especially since that article says no one contacted him about a new contract), and the news that McKenna is also leaving adds to that disappointment.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  16. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dan Harmon responds to finding out that he's been replaced.

Don't worry, Dan. Who knows, things may be down now, but you could find yourself directing a majorly successful Justice League movie ten years from now.

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't want to be pessimistic, especially after "Introduction to Finality," but it certainly sounds as if when Community returns, it won't be the same show we've loved for the past three years. I hope I'm wrong. But, somehow, I just can't see episodes like "Digital Estate Planning," "Digital Exploration of Interior Design"/"Pillows and Blankets," "Remedial Chaos Theory," "Foosball and Nocturnal Vigilantism," "Epidemiology," or "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" ever being done again (or, at least as well).

18. PsychoPere

If Megan Ganz sticks around, she'd probably try to push for episodes like that, but, as Alan Sepinwall noted -- "Community" is Dan Harmon; Dan Harmon is "Community." Season four may be a serviceable enough sitcom (and not one I'd likely be interested in), but it will never be Dan Harmon's Commmunity.

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It won't be. Community will essentially be another Big Bang Theory next season... a good idea that has de-evolved into a cookie cutter comedy for the masses.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Happy Endings is a good show, and Harmon is noted for being an asshole, so I'm not especially torn up over his departure -- but all the other writers that are leaving, too, have me a bit worried.