Rogue One (2016) [SW Anthology Series)

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mach5, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rogue-one-plot/

• Today at the final day of Star Wars Celebration, Star Wars: Rogue One director Gareth Edwards took the stage for a panel called “Conversations with Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank.
    • Star Wars: Rogue One is the first film in the new Star Wars Anthology series (that’s the official title for the spin-off movies) and features a plot in which “a rogue band of fighters come together to steal the death star plans.
    • Gareth Edwards says that Felicity Jones plays a rebel soldier.
    • Star Wars: Rogue One, written by Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz, will be directed by Gareth Edwards. It’s scheduled for release on December 16, 2016. Felicity Jones is confirmed to star and Ben Mendelsohn is rumored for the cast.

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

So, it's set between the original and the prequel trilogy? Does that mean we get to see more of Vader?

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The adventure probably won't involve Vader. However the little teaser did offer something we had never seen in Star Wars.. if my theory holds.

The teaser shows a grassy,beautiful planet with the Deathstar looming near. This might be Alderaan, at the very moment in a New Hope when Leia is pleading for it to be spared. We've never seen an "event" from a different angle.

This shot might not even be in the film.. they haven't started production yet.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like it could be pretty cool. Does anyone know if/when we'll get the footage online?

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I don't see any reason why Vader couldn't be in this. Certainly, his presence in the trailer would add to the box office take.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

^

Yeah, just checked his IMDB page, you're right. He wasn't involved with ROTS so I assumed he and Lucas had some creative differences. I love his designs.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I know it's unlikely but my first thought wasn't "Vader" it was "live action Ahsoka!?" ;)

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like they plan to differentiate it from the main Star Wars films:

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Very intriguing Teaser. I'm really surprised they're not saving that event for the ending of Rebels.

I was assuming the forest planet was Yavin IV or Despayre, I totally blanked on Alderaan! I still feel it's a huge missed opportunity they didn't film a Jimmy Smits death scene to stick into ANH. Now's their chance.

But wait, surely the events of the movie take place BEFORE ANH begins. Because they're stealing the plans. Which happens in the opening crawl of ANH. They hand the plans off to Leia which sets up ANH. So unless they do like an epilogue after they accomplish their mission showing Alderaan go boom...

"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire’s sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy…."

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

By showing Alderaan as a teaser.. it's reminding everyone the stakes

15. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

"That's no moon."

Was the chatter at the end suppose to be somewhat what Obi-wan heard...as the Death Star fired.

16. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Though I don't doubt Tarkin would have gotten the Death Star that close to Alderaan (as a pure pants-shitting moment) before pulling the switch if he could have, that would have been too dangerous for the DS. Getting caught in the blast of a planet's explosion at near point-blank range? No thanks. Plus we'd be staring the DS 'in the eye,' so to speak, instead of the side view. No, that's gotta be Despayre or whatever planet they're retconning the DS to be built at.

17. Turtletrekker

The TIE fighter made me doubt it was Alderaan as well.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Surely there would the presence of the Empire there?

19. Turtletrekker

Well, in the old EU, there weren't ANY weapons on Alderaan or any kind of military presense. I'm not saying that it's not Alderraan, but that just seeded a doubt in my mind.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus it's not like the Empire wouldn't kill their own troops while murdering billions of people.