Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Though it was hard to tell from the scene, I think Ward was blaming Coulson.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Really? The guy is ninety-one and we all know what a Stan Lee cameo looks like by now. Did anybody really think that this was going to be any different?

I wasn't expecting anything else.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^Yes, because they specifically promoted it as being something more substantial than his movie cameos. I was expecting something a little more along the lines of his BBT appearance.

Maybe...interesting....

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I will say I thought Stan was going to appear longer. Once I noticed the two women essentially bracing him I felt that unless his next scenes were seated that more Stan Lee wasn't likely.
    As noted he is 91 so the fact he gets around as well as he does(he does a lot of 'Cons still) is something of merit.

5. The Old Mixer

Not trying to fault The Man by any means...just saying that they oversold it.

6. Greg Cox

They hyped his appearance, sure, but I don't remember them promising something "substantial." So it seemed reasonable to assume that it would be along the same lines as all his other Marvel movie appearances.

Plus, he just turned ninety-one. Who do you think he is? Betty White? :)

And, yeah, I thought maybe Ward was blaming Coulson, too.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guess I missed the hype so I found it a pleasant surprise. If his arm candy was due to being feeble, well, he couldn't ask for better support.;)

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I agree with sojourner -- I think he was blaming Coulson. I had the impression that his gaze when he said it was not directed toward May, but more undirected, suggesting he was thinking about someone not present. And Coulson is the logical target -- the one in charge of the team as a whole, the one who decided to bring Skye in to start with. And didn't Ward say earlier that Skye had been more gung-ho since her recent talk with Coulson?

Oh, certainly. Given what a big story thread the mystery of her origins/identity is, they wouldn't just cut that short by killing her off.

In fact, I was expecting her to heal spontaneously or turn out to be bulletproof, or otherwise reveal some kind of extraordinary power.

Instead, I get the impression that Skye's shooting is going to be a catalyst for further exploration of Coulson's arc, because he's going to be investigating SHIELD's secret medical technologies, and it seems he'd want to find out more about how he was brought back so that he can use the same methods to save Skye.

9. The Old Mixer

Yeah, I was thankful that she didn't go the healy/glowy route...think Smallville did that with Chloe, IIRC...

As for the Stan cameo controversy...geez, can't express an opinion around these parts without making sure your lawyer brought the evidence:

Sir Already-Appearing-in-This-Thread

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Was Stan Lee's character some kind of Hugh Hefner type with a model on each arm or were they train staff helping him around?

It would have been nice to see him in a larger part but with the way he delivered that line, maybe he doesn't have the acting chops to do anything significant. Apparently that was a problem for Bill Gates when he appeared on Frasier.

11. Greg Cox

Interesting. But it just sounds as though some media sources maybe blew the story out of proportion (as entertainment news sites tend to do). All I saw were the TV commercials which basically said, "Look, kids, Stan Lee is going to show up!"

And, sure enough, he showed up! :)

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I remember when they announced that Russell Crowe was going to make an appearance on a Canadian series called Republic of Doyle. I figured it would be a blink-or-you'll-miss-it cameo but as it turned out, he made a full-on guest appearance for the entire episode and even brought along his co-stars from Robin Hood.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have to point out that the primary source there for the "big role" quote is a Hollywood Reporter article in which Stan Lee is also quoted as saying that he's had "a million cameos".

Apparently, that day, Stan Lee was not making statements to the Hollywood Reporter that he intended to be taken literally, and in the game of Internet telephone, the whole context there wasn't getting passed along.

Anyway, I enjoyed the cameo. Hope I look and sound that good when I'm 91. :techman:

14. Greg Cox

On the other hand, I remember being burned as a teen when The New Avengers hyped the hell out of the return of Emma Peel, which turned out to be less than minute long and was possibly even just a brief clip from the original show. Basically, the phone rings, Steed picks it up, and, hey, there's a brief glimpse of Diana Rigg at the other end of the line. They exchange a few pleasantries and . . . that's it.

I was so bummed!

15. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can I hold out a tiny bit of hope that we'll see Stan in a future episode too?

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Without further wrecking spoilers any worse than I've already done for myself just being here...how was Carlo Rota's performance? He's been a favourite of mine since his days on Little Mosque on the Prairie.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should listen to the Stan Lee podcasts on Nerdist. He actually still works full time and goes into the office every day to design new comics and TV series.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Stan Lee is the Clairvoyant.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The latter, it seemed to me.

20. Greg Cox

Bingo. That actually ties into one of my current pet peeves: the way the internet blurs the distinction between rumors, hype, speculation, and actual "news." One of the unfortunate side-effects of which is that fans are disappointed when they don't get what they'd thought they'd been promised . . . .

"But . . . but Bryan Cranston was supposed to be Luthor!"