DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first issue was indeed an improvement over the preview issue. I'll give this a chance but still not too thrilled with it.

Lemaire's Justice League United was interesting though. Worth sticking with.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So, I'm several months behind in my comics reading and have been trying to catch up. Just been a lot going for the last six months or so.

Finally caught up on "Batman" and, wow, this has just been a great, great book. Snyder is just knocking this thing out of the park and is really making Batman a real force. I wish I could get into "Batman Eternal" but the weekly format just isn't in the budget. I've had to trim down titles as it is. Maybe I'll get the trade down the road.

But Snyder's work on Batman is just really great and I love Harper as the faux-Robin.

3. Admiral_Young

Harper's not a 'faux-Robin' as we saw in the preview in 28...she's just a new partner.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I had a hard time getting through issue #0. I'll give it a few more issues but if it doesn't improve I'll probably dump it. It's too bad too because I'm Canadian and really wanted to like this book.

5. Admiral_Young

It was an okay introductory issue...nothing special...I'm interested in the concept though and the art was great.

Also Forever Evil #7 is finally out next week according to my pull list, same with the first arc featuring Lex joining the League in Justice League.

6. Trekker4747

Yeah, odd wording on my part. She's his effective partner is what I was getting at, which is great. Loved her as a character.

But did I hear right that Damien is coming back?!

And how long was the Riddler in charge for Gotham to go completely overgrown abd desolate? Some odd things, but, again really enjoying it.

7. Admiral_Young

Yeah Damian is coming back in an arc starting in July, but will be making his actual return in December which bookends the arc.

Nygma's grasp over Gotham appears to be over a number of months so far. I believe that Zero Year is supposed to take place over a literal year in the 52'Verse timeline. LOL

8. Savage Dragon

It still seems like pretty excessive overgrowth for a few months. Unless it was just supposed to have already been a long abandoned area of Gotham.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe Poison Ivy helped.

10. Savage Dragon

That'd work.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Actually didn't they establish that he stole something from pre-Poison Ivy to make the vegetation grow crazy?

12. Trekker4747

Yeah, that was mentioned in one of the issues.

13. Admiral_Young

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends really on how reliable Rich is. But there is no way Finch could do a monthly not after how he delayed Forever Evil for two months.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  15. Savage Dragon

Anyone pick up Superman Doomed?

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually just read the first three chapters. It's not bad. It's not great either, but it's better than the recent Superman comics. The only non-Morrison Superman comics I've liked in the relaunch was the Hell on Earth crossover. I'm really looking forward to Geoff Johns and JRJR coming on though!!!

17. Savage Dragon

That's funny. I couldn't stand Morrison's run on Action Comics.

I've really looking forward to Superman #32 too!

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was no All Star Superman but it was damned well better than any of other New 52 Superman stories.

19. Admiral_Young

Superman: Doomed...was okay. I'm sticking with Pak's Action Comics right now along with Superman/Wonder Woman and thought it was okay. How they've introduced and treated Doomsday so far is a little confusing, despite the fact they clarified that Death of Superman still happened. I loved they went back to Morrison's run.

When did Sam Lane become Senator Lane? Did that happen in "Superman" or something. I'm guessing parts of this explain why Clark isn't on the Justice League during Luthor's tenure.

I'm really looking forward to Johns/John Jr's run on "Superman". That book can't get here fast enough for me.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wait, I thought they confirmed that the Death of Superman DIDN'T happen? Now I'm even more confused...