News about early 2014 schedule

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Both Greg Cox (The Rings of Time) and Dayton Ward (From History's Shadow) took care to keep their books consistent with DTI: Forgotten History, and Dayton and I both kept our books consistent with Greg's Gary Seven books. And I also kept DTI:FH consistent with what A Choice of Catastrophes had established about the full names of TOS bit players. So some of us are making an effort to coordinate.

Although I suppose I can understand the appeal of going back to a more traditional standalone approach for TOS novels, for nostalgia's sake if nothing else. No harm in having both approaches in play. After all, as Lonemagpie says, there's no way to fit all the TOS tie-ins into the 5YM, since there's simply not enough room. So it's probably for the best if only some of them share a continuity and the rest represent alternative continuities.

2. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

And Kathryn Janeway saves the day by forcing the crew of the Brigham Young to drink Coffee Black. :guffaw:

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is No Time Like The Past going to be the first time TOS characters have interacted with one or more of the main characters from a 24th Century series in their own time?

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Didn't TNG #32 "Requiem" have Picard thrown back to the time of "Arena"?

5. Christopher

Yes, but he didn't interact with TOS characters, just with the Cestus III colonists.

To JD's question, there's "Trials and Tribble-ations," of course. And Forgotten History has
    Kirk interacting with Agent Lucsly.

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget "Flashback" that established Tuvok was on the Excelsior during STVI, and then via mind meld, Janeway was able to meet Hikaru Sulu and Commander Janice Rand on the Excelsior.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Defcon

Yeah, that why I put the (working?) in front of title. :lol:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe I forgot about both of those episodes.:brickwall:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  11. Christopher

^Except Janeway didn't actually meet Sulu and Rand, just experienced Tuvok's memories of them. I don't think it counts as meeting if it doesn't go both ways.

12. Defcon

According to Amazon Scott Pearson's eBook seems to have a date and title now as well:

TOS: The more things change, listed for July 7th 2014

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In regard to One Constant Star, I have a theory/ hope which I'll admit I have no supporting evidence for. But it would be my dream. DRGIII is planning on writing the Ascendants story at some point, but wants to lead into it with some back story to build excitement. So he
    puts them in Allegiance in Exile
    , and now I'm hoping he will put them in One Constant Star. Then we won't be too far from finally filling in that 4 year gap. Fingers crossed.

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know in what year Jeff Mariotte's Serpents in the Garden is supposed to take place? It eludes to "Admiral" Kirk as being the center of the story..

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I were to take a guess, I'd say between TMP and TWOK. Though I suppose it could just as easily be pre-TMP.

16. Paris

^I was thinking maybe during the time between the series and TMP because the blurb doesn't mention the crew. just Kirk. I guess we'll see..

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile, I think between TMP and TWOK more likely because I thought I read somewhere that that's considered a more marketable time period than between TOS and TMP. If they're going to step outside the comfort zone of guaranteed sales that is the Five Year Mission, they're going to want it to succeed, and having Kirk wearing the red TWOK uniform on the cover is more likely to bring in sales than the gray TMP jumpsuit.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The TMP uniforms are indeed boring (sorry, Christopher!), but it seems to me that this issue could be finessed by simply going with starship art . . ..

19. Christopher

At least the TMP uniforms are functional and don't look like Horatio Hornblower cosplay. Those heavy maroon jackets might've made sense as dress uniforms, but they're preposterous as everyday duty wear. Ditch the jackets and just put the insignia pins on the turtleneck underneath and you'd have something, though.

20. Paris

Agreed. I always thought the TWOK red uniforms were way to bulky. Especially compared to just about every other uniform we observed SF personnel wearing throughout the various series. Wouldn't they be hot as hell inside the climate controlled ships/instalations with such heavy upper-wear :vulcan:?