Atlantis Found by Google? Freaky!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The people reacting to this as though it's Atlantis should check the map scale. The grid as a whole is about 80 x 100 miles, and each individual line is about 1 mile wide. There's no way it could be a grid of city streets.

Besides, Plato described the main city of Atlantis as circular in plan.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Google already came out and said that the scanner sometimes makes those lines on the map, and it's true. I have messed around with Google Earth and found weird lines in the water in other places! That must mean there are several secret cities!!!!

4. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Atlantis = Santorini, destroyed by the eruption of Thera circa 1500 BCE.

No mystery about it except why people can't be bothered to read history books.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It was also debunked this morning on Fox News.

(it was on at the gym; I did not put Fox News on willingly)

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That proves it! ;)

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Quiet you. They also took me behind the scenes to show what celebrities go through to get ready for Oscar Night!

It was very important.

8. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

That was my first thought about the scale.

The city of Atlantis was circular, but the island was called Poseidon, and the rest of the island is described as having rectangular grids thought to be for irrigation.

9. Christopher

I think I get what those "weird lines" are. At least some of them are portions of the map that have been scanned at higher resolution than their surroundings, so they look like rough furrows in smooth surfaces. The "furrows" are the tracks of the ships or satellites that took the higher-resolution scans. If the whole ocean floor had been covered at the same resolution, the illusory tracks would disappear.

As a Google spokesperson said:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencea...frica-turns-out-to-be-boat-mapping-lines.html

Atlantis was a city Plato described in a text that was clearly allegorical in intent. He made it up as a vehicle for expressing his ideas on a just society. Nobody believes there really was a Lilliput or Utopia or The Lost World, so why do so many people miss the point of Plato's Atlantis dialogues?

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Reeee.....ree....reeeead????

:)

Hell there are at least 3 different TV specials about the fact it was some Greek island, so no reading needed.

11. We all know Atlantis is the island from LOST, moving through space and time! Get with the program! :-p

12. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

No, no, no! Atlantis is a city ship of the Ancients from the Pegasus Galaxy! ;)

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it vanishes from the next iteration of the Google map, then we'll know for sure...

It's the same place, just different locations. John Sheppard gets the city part, Jack Shepherd gets the jungle part. It's a real big place. Wormhole travel applies to both, only John Sheppard knows about it and Jack doesn't, and the actual control mechanisms are a tad different.

Funny how they spell their names different...

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So when the island disappeared at the end of last season, did it actually launch and travel to the Pegasus galaxy? Or has it been in the Pegasus galaxy the whole time, and Oceanic Flight 815 actually got sucked through a wormhole?

15. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Ya know, I never noticed the Sheppard name thing...or the other similarities..
    There's a bald guy on both..
    A pregnant lady who gets kidnapped
    People infected by a sickness/retrovirus
    Hardened soldier from a war torn country/planet-though one clearly has an advantage in the IQ department. :rolleyes:

And a smoke monster was let loose in the city during season 1! :eek:

16. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I lost my hat about 100km west of Vancouver Island during a drunken fishing expedition in the early 00's. I wonder if google maps can help me locate it.

it was my favourite hat. :(

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^It might be able to help, assuming your hat wasn't eaten by a bear...or a moose.

18. Christopher

^^What would a bear or moose be doing in the Pacific Ocean 100 km from shore?

(Inevitable answer: the backstroke!)

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

They're obviously looking for a new hat!

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Jack-We gotta get locke to the Atlantis Control Chair!