TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 18 2014, 01:48 PM   #286
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Latest acquisition!

A great haul this past fortnight: a revised edition of "Star Trek: Ships of the Line" (top, last week), IDW's photo comic, "Made out of Mudd" (right), a special edition of Titan's "Star Trek" magazine (centre) and - as if via a time machine - the arrival of "Return to Tomorrow" (left), on the filming of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", a collection of interviews originally slated for an eagerly-awaited double-issue of "Cinefantastique" magazine way back in 1980!

New Trek books by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

My copy of "Return to Tomorrow" arrived in Sydney, Australia, today and I'm thrilled to have it. Many pieces in makeup artist Fred B. Phillips' words, and several anecdotes on Billy Van Zandt's Rhaandarite bridge alien (variations/elaborations to known stories, and new info).

Also this week came a four-disk set of CDs featuring soundtrack music from "Star Trek: Enterprise".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2014, 12:13 AM   #287
JD
Admiral

I got a B&N gift card as a "solstice" present (my family stopped celebrating Christmas, but we still give present, so we just call them "solstice presents") from my sister, so I picked up STTNG: Cold Equations Book III: The Body Electric, STVAN: Storming Heaven, and STTOS: Ex Machina. I've been wanting to read EM for years, so as soon as I finish TMP in my TOS/TAS/TOS Movies rewatch I'll be starting it.
Old December 22 2014, 01:40 AM   #288
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I got a B&N gift card as a "solstice" present (my family stopped celebrating Christmas, but we still give present, so we just call them "solstice presents") from my sister, so I picked up STTNG: Cold Equations Book III: The Body Electric, STVAN: Storming Heaven, and STTOS: Ex Machina. I've been wanting to read EM for years, so as soon as I finish TMP in my TOS/TAS/TOS Movies rewatch I'll be starting it.
Money well spent for all three.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2014, 10:19 PM   #289
JD
Admiral

I got some more Christmas gift cards, so I decided to get one more Trek book, Cast No Shadow. The same thing I said about EM applies to CNS too. I'd been focusing on the ongoing series, but I've been in the mood for some movie era TOS so I decided to get these. Before anyone tells me, yes I am aware of Foul Deeds will Rise, and it is very high on my list.
I already have a pretty good idea what TOS books I'll be getting next. My top three are Forgotten History (both as a EM follow-up and because I loved Watching the Clock), From History's Shadow, and Foul Deeds...
Old December 25 2014, 09:41 AM   #290
Therin of Andor
Admiral

I picked up my copy of Una McCormack's "DS9: The Missing" yesterday! Galaxy Bookshop, Sydney. And then it turned up under the Christmas tree this morning!

Merry Christmas, everyone.
Old December 25 2014, 02:41 PM   #291
Reanok
Commodore

Wow! Theron You're really Lucky to have Una's new book already. JD Cast No Shadow by James Swallow is a great book .You'llAlso like From History's shadow too.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2014, 06:11 PM   #292
Reanok
Commodore

I got some new Trek Star trek books for Christmas Ex Machina & Watching the clock by Christopher Bennett and a new Star trek Tos Calendar.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #293
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Reanok wrote: View Post
Wow! Theron You're really Lucky to have Una's new book already.
Galaxy Bookshop in Sydney usually outdoes itself, although I do have to thank Simon & Schuster Australia, too. Way back in the 1980s, all Trek novels arrived in Australia by sea freight (minimum of three months after the USA release). In the 90s and 00s, Galaxy would air freight a batch for special and standing orders, with leftovers for the "new releases" shelf, to be topped up many weeks later when the bulk shipment arrived via S&S Aust.

Since the release of JJ's 2009 Trek movie, S&S Aust. have handled the advance air freight shipments themselves, and are seemingly absorbing the costs, since the books arrive - often before their US release - at a significantly lower price. (In the 80s, we sometimes happily paid up to triple the US cover price just to say we had the book before others in Australia.)