Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Uh... no it wasn't. For a while, the colour print was lost, but it turned up over a decade ago and has been broadcast and released in formats including DVD, Blu-ray and online video in colour.

Tell that to a fan of 60s Doctor Who!

2. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the next logical step, ultimately, was the Ambassador Class, but since TNG was set a good ~80 years after the movies, that necessitated going a step or two even further.

Moreover, it should be noted that TNG-era ships and movie-era ships were, for the most part, designed by different people who, in turn, reported to different people.

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Eaglemoss apparently mentioned back in summer that this collection would be released in Canada too. Has anyone heard when pre-order links would be available for Canadian customers?

4. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Well I've just bought issue 2 as the TMP Enterpise is my favourite. I'm a bit disappointed on the 2nd issue.[​IMG]

As you can see the top picture is the jonny lighting model the one underneath is the eaglemoss one it's bigger but the fine detail is bad IMO the bussard collectors are clear blue and the warp engine pylon grills are also clear blue as well, IMO not a true representation of the TMP Enterpise the grills should be black.

The jonny lighting model is smaller but has more detail on it.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Actually - the TMP refit should have indigo-violet glowing grills - on the inside only and black on the outside. Sometimes I guess it could look blue in some shots. The glow was most prominent in TMP but I don't think they had them going as much in later movies. But yes, as you say, the bussards in the front, however, should not be blue like that, ever. Back then, they weren't even called bussard collectors - I think they were called matter/energy acquisition sinks, IIRC.

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I know I sound really dumb, but......

What is TMP???

7. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The abbreviation for The Motion Picture.

8. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do see what you're saying. Not only do you have the issue with the clear blue nacelles (more on that later) but there are several details that aren't painted in on Eaglemoss model that are on the Jonny Lightning model. But about the nacelles. They were modeled in the clear blue plastic so that natural light shining through them would make them glow. That wouldn't be possible if one side was blacked out as they should be. If that "glow" feature isn't important to you, I guess you could always paint in the black if you wanted to.

9. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do see what you're saying. Not only do you have the issue with the clear blue nacelles (more on that later) but there are several details that aren't painted in on Eaglemoss model that are on the Jonny Lightning model. But about the nacelles. They were modeled in the clear blue plastic so that natural light shining through them would make them glow. That wouldn't be possible if one side was blacked out as they should be. If that "glow" feature isn't important to you, I guess you could always paint in the black if you wanted to.

10. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

The Enterprise-D's nacelles are clear blue as well, and while the caps *are* overpainted in red, it isn't enough to keep them from showing blue if you position a light to make the strips "glow".

11. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just picked up issue #2 and love it.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Because I'm a subscriber, I just received issue 3 with the Klingon BoP.

13. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

My main issue is the lack of detail on the Eaglemoss model. The JL has more of the fine details painted and more of the decals as well. I would much prefer the JL model over the Eaglemoss.

14. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any chance we could get pic?

It seems now that the subscriptions are active the various issues are arriving fairly rapidly, I'm impressed. I imagine my wallet isn't going to be pleased once they start shipping in the US

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It's identical to the picture on the Eaglemoss site:

http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/starships.asp

Click on number 3 under Models in Detail for an all-round view. I couldn't achieve any better.

Compared with the model used for the ST II, the red pipe (cloaking field emitter) under the bridge probably shouldn't be as prominent as it is. It's a better effort than the model in issue 2, however.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  16. trekker670

Cool, thanks.

17. trekker670

18. Nine of Four

They should make a Romulan bird-of-prey based on TOS, not ENT. I like the 23rd century better than the 22nd.....

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I agree, but I guess they are trying to give all the series some attention.

20. Nine of Four

Speaking of Romulan stuff looking better in TOS, was I the only one who thought Nero and his Romulans didn't look like the Romulans we were all familiar with at all???