The BBC should be given the chance to make a new star trek

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Johnson, Apr 19, 2014.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I say! "Steady on," ol' chap ...

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, you probably would ruin it.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

BBC genre friendly, thanks for that I needed a laugh. It might seem that way from the outside and perhaps things have improved from how they used to be.

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what I said.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, but you ruined it.

6. AustNerevar

AustNerevar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read halfway down the page before I realized I was on Uncyclopedia. I was somewhere between being shocked and not surprised.

7. tavor

tavor Lieutenant Red Shirt

didn't the bbc do a sort of mirror universe startrek it was called blake7 (federation were the bad guys)

8. Froissart

Froissart Ensign Red Shirt

Loved cheesy Blake7.

9. RakuraiStryker

RakuraiStryker Ensign Newbie

If Russell T Davies writes, it would be super mega awesome !

I think two different Trek series would be made, one in country #1, another in country #2

Each season will have only 13 episodes.

10. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the BBC did it, we'd probably only see the Bridge for the first few years, perhaps streching to a corridor by the 6th season.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

The BBC wouldn't be able to afford to do Star Trek. Compared to Doctor Who it'd require a much bigger regular cast, far more special effects and far more standing sets.

Not sure if serious.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh god no, try and watch some UK TV on a daily basis and although the BBC has a few quality shows, just like ITV/CH4/5, now and again, its vast bulk is unadulterated rubbish, unless you like Soaps, selling your junk, moving home, and cooking.

No leave ST were it has prospered since it's inception, on American TV, i watch vastly more US TV shows than i watch UK TV through the year.

13. 2takesfrakes

I was under the distinct impression that NuTREK was being promoted in and catered to the UK and European countries mostly, anyway. If that's true, then CBS partnering with the BBC makes even more sense to me. In general, American television sucks just as bad as it does in any other country, with 6000 channels and nothing on. But a unique partnership such as this, would bring out the best of each entity ... there's no doubt of that. CBS Executives ... "suits" as I believe you like to be called ... if you are reading this, please contact the BBC and close the deal on joint production of new STAR TREK product as soon as possible. We, the fans, are growing impatient ...

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Promoted yes, but catered? Don't think so. Traditionally Star Trek has performed poorly overseas. so they have tried to push it a little more and it seems to be working. STID has the highest foreign box office for any Trek film. Not sure that translates into interest by the BBC or any other non-American TV network.

15. 2takesfrakes

"Catered" basically referring to the casting of Brits in the Guest Spots. I'm trying to remember, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure that Alice Eve didn't even bother "Americanizing" her accent, at all, perhaps with this in mind.

16. Nerys Myk

Hardly usual in Hollywood or Star Trek. Tom Hardy and David Warner are British. Alexander Siddig, Marina Sirtis and Patrick Stewart are British. Malcolm McDowell is British.

They decided to go with Eve's natural accent. She's played Americans before. Though Bibi Besch (the original Carol) is not a native born American, she was born in Austria and moved to America as a child.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^As is Dominic Keating.

As for Star Trek underperforming at the International Box Office, I think they did ok in English speaking countries it was the non-English speaking ones they underperformed at (though I'm sure they'll be at least one exception i.e. Germany)

18. AustNerevar

AustNerevar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, if the BBC did it, we'd probably have a sum total of fifteen episodes by the sixth series. If they even made it that far.

19. Nerys Myk

Yes, but it would be spread out over two decades.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Its all about quality, not quantity--Trek has certainly learned that lesson in VOY and ENT, ramming many mediocre and just plain awful episodes down our throats because they're expected to have over 20 a season.