They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who is the source? They just make shit up to get hits and attention. They're worse than Comicbookmovies. I look at these two as being the Super Shadow of comic book film news.

2. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

But Flash and Wonder Woman did have a television series.

Also consider the X-Men, that is a group of heroes presented at once in a movie and individual superheroes origin stories were only done later as prequels.

3. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Supergirl doesn't have quite the same powers as wonder woman, she doesn't need an invisible plane, and she don't need bracelets to deflect bullets, they just bounce off her skin instead. I never heard of Wonder Woman having x-ray vision or superhearing.

Also Supergirl is a much younger superhero than wonder woman who is thousands of years old. Supergirl's youth and inexperience make for a lot of interesting adventures with her getting into troubles that Wonder Woman would know better than to get into.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diana is not "thousands of years old".

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

All the more reason to make an effort to rehabilitate his image. Iron Man and Thor didn't even have much of a reputation in the general public's eye before their movies came out.

Good idea -- a tighter core cast, and a more diverse one. Still, I think I'd pick John Stewart over Cyborg. The JL should have a GL. And I think there'd be room for Flash too. The Avengers had six core hero characters, seven if you count Fury. (Although given that Hawkeye was relatively marginalized, maybe it's still six.)

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

So you want an annoying kid sidekick? I'm not against sidekicks, but an inexperienced sidekick getting into trouble in a movie about the grown-up heroes usually doesn't lead to a mini episode of Young Justice, it leads to something like this:

• "Shiny green rocks, they're so pretty ...argh! Help meee!"
    • " 'Magical death trap' Hah, like that can harm me, Super... argh! Help meee!"
    • "It's so dark in here and it's just the two of us, Martian Manhunter, let me light some torches ... hey, why are you screaming ... NO, don't run!"
    • "Tim and Conner are totally gay for each other, but they won't admit it, I'll just borrow Diana's lasso for a minute and get them in a room together, teheheh. *5 minutes later* Okay, Tim wants to do Conner and can't stop himself undressing him with his eyes every time they're together and Conner is ... not interested at all, awwwkwaaaard"

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

over 20 and 40 years ago, respectively!

8. Takeru

I would have picked a Green Lantern if not for the recent flop and I originally wanted to include Flash as the sixth, but I decided that I liked five members better.
    Avengers worked with more heroes but keep in mind that everyone was surpsised that Whedon managed to give everything something meaningful to do as well as he did.
    The bigger the line up, the bigger the risk someone gets screwed and/or the movie suffers from trying to focus on everyone. I'd rather not take that risk, start with a smaller line up and when the first movie was a success, introduce one or two additional members in the second.

9. Christopher

^On the other hand, the less willing the film is to take risks, the less likely that it will be really impressive. If you want to make a great film, you have to be willing to risk making a lousy film. Play it safe and you probably won't do either.

10. Takeru

True, but make five or six characters such a big difference on a impressiveness scale? And I don't think using a five member team can be called playing it safe.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, that's kinda, I dunno... I don't know if that's the way to put it properly.

12. Christopher

It wasn't specifically the number of team members I was questioning as the cited reason for it, the mentality that the filmmakers should play it safe rather than being as daring as Whedon was. If that were the philosophy that guided the filmmakers, the result would probably be a mediocre film no matter how many team members it had.

13. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I would rather have Hawkgirl on the team than Zatanna unless your fighting a magic based villian.
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL(Stewart), and Hawkgirl would be my team to see.
    Main villian is Amazo.
    End Cameo is Martian Manhunter appearing in JL headquarters, he is barely alive and warns them of the martian invasion.

14. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

It's called the Justice League. The name alone suggests a number greater than five. If they want to concentrate the story on a smaller core group, that's fine, but other members could easily be seen in the bachground. Sort of like the second X-Men film, where all sorts of recognizable characters were seen among Xavier's students.

15. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Yeah they keep changing her past, hard to keep track, but if she lived from Ancient Greek times when the gods were actively worshipped, she would have to be at least over a thousand, as Christianity dominated the the last 1700 years I should say, pagan deities went out of style.

16. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Exactly, children have a way of getting into trouble that adults do not. Though shiny green rocks would defeat superman as well, I don't see Kara as any different from that. and I think Kryptonite overuse is a real problem, if the villain always pulls out his trust piece of kryptonite, what good is superman. Kryptonite is just an excuse for some pathetic human to beat up on superman and his cousin. There is a reason why Lex has a supersuit, because he doesn't always have that trusty piece of kryptonite handy. Wonder Woman would simply punch his lights out if he tried that green rock on her. On the other hand supergirl don't need bracelets to deflect bullets and tying her hands together would do nothing to stop her from breaking the rope and chain. I think supergirl is the opposite of being the fair maiden in need of rescuing all the time - that is Lois Lane's job.

More likely Supergirl goes about solving a problem the hard way rather than the easy way. Wonder Woman is probably better at avoiding conflicts than she is.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She was born on an island that has had no contact with the outside world for Centuries. The Amazons not only worship the Greek Gods they interacted with them. When they left "Man's World" Jesus was just a gleam in God's eye. The Greek Gods would be the only gods she knows, even if she was born yesterday.

18. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

As of the current DC reboot, Diana is 23. She first came to Man's World five years ago at the age of 18. Her father is Zeus, which officially establishes her as a demi-god. Diana could very well be immortal but she hasn't lived long enough to find out.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Where do you get your comics info???? Lex hasn't really done the supersuit (unles you mean Armani ) thing since the early 80s. Nor has the bracelets thing been in play for a long time.

Kryptonite traps are a good why to show that Superman/girl/boy is more than just a set of powers but has a brain too.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Except her being thousands of years old has NEVER been a part of her origin.