Pike's "TV" in "The Cage"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by FalTorPan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Many props from TOS have been identified as "found items." Has anyone figured out the exact type of TV that was in Pike's quarters in "The Cage?"

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I can't answer that, but he was probably catching Mission: Impossible and Bewitched on the Galaxy 1 Network.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    For what it's worth, the "TV" appears in Pazo Guzman's concept sketch of Pike's cabin.

Though, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't an item that Desilu already had sitting around, I suppose. Has the set ever been spotted in a previous Desilu production?

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Here is a behind-the scenes shot so that everybody knows what it is that's being talked about: http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/behindthescenes/hunter_pike.jpg

I have no idea how Pike could have possibly watched anything on that monitor lying in bed...:rolleyes:

But it's an interesting predecessor to the yet to come triangular briefing room viewscreen monitor.

Bob

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The "TV" was almost certainly a dummy, a stock piece of set dressing and not meant to represent any specific make of television set.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

A little known thing about Capt Pike was that he collected early 1960s electronics.

7. Robert Comsol

^^ :lol:

But seriously, what about the chances we are looking at a last minute change on behalf of the gooseneck viewers?

As an intercom device the TV set in Pike's cabin must have looked lame ("So they have TV aboard their starship, great") compared to these 007-type miniature viewers.

And somehow that idea must have stuck with them (miniature screens are more futuristic). The briefing room in "The Corbomite Maneuver" had a wall mounted flat screen, but instead they looked at the triangular viewscreen on the room's table.

Bob

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

9. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me the TV console looks too finely made to be a TV prop, more like a found piece. I tried googling "60's TV Console" but didn't find it. Did see this one which is kind of interesting...

[​IMG]

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Pike kept that big monitor in his room tuned to Yeoman Colt's quarters.

11. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe he had a taste for crappy old late-20th-century movies, like Star Trek V.

12. Robert Comsol

<< ^^ The direction your avatar is looking strongly suggests otherwise. ;)

@ HarryM

This German "Kuba Music & TV Box" apparently inspired the German science fiction miniseries Space Patrol, which aired around the same time as the first TOS episodes (and had a similar and serious approach to the genre). Great find!

Bob

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Hence the line, "I've had it, Phil."

14. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Also note his hat sitting on top of the TV.

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

16. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember reading an early treatment of The Cage years ago and IIRC the opening scene was Pike dressing down a crew member after they returned from that mission that got many of the crew injured. Pike was described as wearing that cover (its the reason they made one, but it only ended up as set dressing).

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've read that scene, but I can't for the life of me remember any costume description.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Just like Kirk 'collecting' Commodore VIC-20s in TWOK.

Get back your command, Jim. Get it back before you turn into part of this collection. Get it back before you really do wind up working off of solid-state components and microchips ...

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The old Federation Reference Series paired Pike's hat with the gold-trimmed Starfleet uniform seen in the Orion fantasy to make a Pike-era dress uniform:
    [​IMG]
    It was great to see the similar hats in the new movies' AU Starfleet.