B'Elanna in Klingon gear

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Noddy, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Did anyone else quite like the way B'Elanna looked in Barge of the Dead when she wore all the Klingon armor?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She looked like a gaming character. There is something about B'Elanna that she never really pulls it off, the Klingon thing, which I guess is the point.

Of course she did look hot, but that is because gaming characters are hot. And Klingons are.. not. Most of the time.

Even I have never lusted after the Duras sisters I FAILED! I am a bad pansexual! Which I am not anyway but I play one on fantasy planets. Something about the spittle and snarling, it's not the teeth.. I'm sure there was someone with fangy brown teeth I liked once. Klingons, even Martok, they fail me and I fail them. Yes this post is all about me.

3. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I liked her in it. I think she pulled it off well. Of course she's my favorite character and I love the episode. I have an 8x10 of her in the Klingon armor that I got Roxann Dawson to sign

edit: this is the photo I got autographed

[​IMG]

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    It was nice to (finally) see her in get-up, even if it did feel a little cosplay. Especially in that episode where she's the Klingon messiah mom. I think Quark looked better in armour than poor old Tom :)

5. Noddy

Noddy Captain

:) :drool:

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Maybe she would look better if she wore an armor style similar to K'ehleyr's in Emissary.

[​IMG]

The designs around B'Elanna's erm breasts make it distracting and to gender specific. Like "look i'm wearing female Klingon armor". K'ehleyr's seems more gender neutral which I like better.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it made sense that she would not look entirely comfortable in Klingon gear, like a high school kids wearing a tux to the prom. On the other hand, I think that her performance should have been closer to Suzie Plakson's when it came to dealing with Klingon issues: knowledgeable, but critical.

8. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

she was knowledgeable, she knew about the Day of Honor and how to "celebrate" she knew that prayer for the dead, she knew the myth of the first Klingons killing their gods

9. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I loved when he was fighting! "the only klingon I'm afraid of is my wife after she's worked a double shift" :lol:

10. Bad Thoughts

B'elanna would have done fine on a quiz on Klingon culture. The core of my argument was that she should have been more like Plakson's character, having enough facility with Klingon culture to negotiate with it in spite of her dissatisfaction therewith.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, the episodes where Torres explores her heritage just seemed dull to me. It had really all been done by Worf at that point. It's funny how Torres always blames her Klingon half for her temper... yet most Klingons really never had her rage issues. ;)

I do think her outfit could've done without the metal bra thing on the outside.

12. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think they approach it from different points of view. Worf always embrased his Klingon side, he was all about the honor and being Klingon. B'Elanna blames that part of herself for everything that ever went wrong in her life. There are very few episodes where she actually goes exploring the klingon stuff, this, Day of Honor, and Prophecy

13. Bad Thoughts

Comparisons between Worf and B'elanna are difficult. It's not a simple matter of their interests. B'elanna was raised by a Klingon parent: her awareness of the culture should be more organic to her being. Worf was adopted by humans: in a sense he was a bookish Klingon. Indeed his sense of honor was more ideal than other Klingons. As for their tempers: Klingons displayed varying degrees of emotional control depending on their goals. Martok was far less impulsive than Gowron, less so that B'elanna, and perhaps less so than Worf.

14. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Worf was raised by humans who did everything they could to provide him with as close to a klingon lifestyl as they could. His mother said she learned to cook blood pie. B'elanna was raised by a klingon but resented and rejected klingon ways, she was teased for it and blamed it for her father leaving. so she didn't embrace the klingon stuff from her mother

15. Bad Thoughts

First, the fact that Worf has been an idealized and romanticized Klingon, a product of book-learning rather than a real childhood experiences, was a subject of discussion at least as early as Rightful Heir and at least as late as Tacking Into The Wind. Whether or not his Klingonness is unnatural, many characters, including his brother, saw him as something other than the real thing. Sometimes, they played with that idea in order to incite a reaction from him.

Second, you should pay attention to the use of the conditional. I never argue that B'Elanna did not reject Klingon values, but because of the the context she was raised, she should have a more organic sense of what they stand for. "Should" is a key word.

16. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I honestly have to say as badly as they explored B'Elanna being half Klingon in Voyager, they may as well not have made her her Klingon at all. She could have been a human with a bad temper for all the good it did her and her story. Not much would have been changed by it. The two truly Klingon stories we got would have gone already, which always felt really forced and the story about B'Elanna having problems growing up could have been changed to her being a fat kid of something.

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been more interesting diversifying Voyager's crew a bit more then it was, but what I am saying is there was no advantage to having B'Elanna be a half Klingon and even if they would have written more on that angel, I don't think Dawson could have played off it better.

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

since we don't know exactly how she was raised, you're just assuming.

what we do know is that from a young age she was teased for being klingon and blames herself for her father leaving because she was too klingon for him.

18. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

i think they explored it fine. she hated that part of heself and tried to ignore it, having a lot of episodes about her klingon-ness wouldn't have made sense

19. Bad Thoughts

After Barge of the Dead, we know a lot. She was in a Klingon monastery. She believed the mythology as a child. And if her experiences are based on her imagination (and not real), she has deep knowledge that allows her to construct an elaborate image of the afterlife. Worf nearly burned down his quarters trying to summon an image of Kahless; he worked much harder to achieve much less.

ETA: on the question of whether or not I am making assumptions: no, I am not inventing details in the lacunae of her biography. I am extrapolating from her experiences (as well as real people who undergo cultural assimilation) in order to discuss was is reasonable to expect from such a character.

20. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

yeah, and I think I said that before, she knew the mythology and the stories about the first klingons and such