DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Didn't they already do this with All-Star Batman and Superman? And wasn't the Superman one the Best Thing Ever(in the good way) and wasn't the Batman one The Best Thing Ever(in the bad way)? I couldn't tell the difference between either though, because I hate both writers. Oh right, they're going to have Twitter accounts and random Twilight references in this one. 'Cuz it's modern and hip and kewl now. Basically they're going to Mark Millarize Batman and Superman without actually hiring Mark Millar and his clumsy, unintentional self-parody of post-modern stupidity.

I like Geoff Johns as much as the next Silver Age Nazi. But when I think modern and hip, I don't think of his writing. I mean, I'm fairly certain that he'd have a heart attack if someone told him we had a black president because he's that stuck in the 60's. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I think it's a good alternative to Grant Morrison, who turns every long running he title he writes into a sad, tragic love letter to The Watchmen. Johns is great at big, fuck off superhero epics. But I don't think he'd be suited for the dark, urban crime nior of Batman. Then again, they could have picked Morrison or Frank Millar to do it. And I suppose they've done enough damage to Batman. So I guess I should be happy with Johns.

JMS is just a terrible comic book writer, I don't care what anyone says. Yeah, yeah Babylon 5 whatever. His comic books suck IMO. His most well-known story to date is having Gwen Stacy fuck Norman Osborne. And that was one of the least stupid things from his Spider-Man run. So yeah, I don't have a lot of faith him on this.

2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It sounds like the difference between this and All-Star is that Earth One will be set in a consistent, ongoing continuity.

3. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

If that's the case, then why don't they just revamp their continuity again instead of half-assing it and cockteasing everyone with this, and All-Star, and all of those stupid Infinite Supreme Bad Stuff Happening Final Countdown To 54 Crisis No We Really Mean It This Time This Is The Last One Until We Do It Again they do every single year. I mean, Marvel prides itself on it's fucked up continuity that no one gives a shit about. With DC, there is at least a precident for a fresh start.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, at least people won't be bitter over it...

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was announced the other day on Comic Book Resources that the first Superman Earth One graphic novel will be released on Sep 7, 2010. Amazon already has a pre-order up for it, as I predicted one of them after the big summer Superman event. Now then maybe we'll get lucky and Batman Earth One will be released soon because as much as I love Superman I'm really looking forward to reading Batman Earth One.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The one thing that I am really look forward in these books is the ability to pick up a single story, bound in one book, without having to buy endless strings of triangle-numbered issues. I'm really burnt out on the multi-issue, multi-book storylines.

7. Admiral_Young

^ Yep I agree this is a big reason why I'm so giddy for this. I should also mention that the first one is going to be 128 pages.

8. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

Me too.

9. Stevil2001

These had just better be rereleased as trade paperbacks relatively quickly. (Ha! What am I saying? It's DC. Early 2010 for All-Star Superman, volume two my foot.)

10. Admiral_Young

I don't know about trade paperbacks...or hardcovers, that hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm with you on trades, I don't like waiting for them to come out so I buy the hardcovers.

11. Broccoli

You can usually get the hardcover for the price of a trade paperback on Amazon.

12. Stevil2001

But as I get all my trade paperbacks off Amazon, I pay even less for them, so I'd feel ripped off!

13. Broccoli

Touche.

14. Admiral_Young

Just was watching Part one of Holiday 20 Questions with Dan DiDio (I so like him better than Joe Q) and he confirmed that Superman Earth One would be coming out in September with Batman following sometime in November he guessed (the later was a guess). DC is looking to expand the line eventually and there will probably be more announcements on the Earth One series next year. Currently they plan on releasing two books a year. Damn I hate being right sometimes, I was hope I'd be wrong and we'd get this earlier than next fall/winter.

15. Stevil2001

Well, I look forward to reading it in paperback in 2011 then! :lol:

16. Admiral_Young

^ Actually I don't think it's been confirmed or revealed if these will be hardcover or paperback releases...but I assume that they'll be released first in hardcover. If they're decently priced which seems to be part of the format DC is going for then i'll be picking them up. Honestly if no one can tell I'm looking forward to these books more than anything else that DC has announced for next year so far.

17. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

18. Admiral_Young

I'm going to pre-order the Superman book after Christmas...