How do you tell a loved one they can't cook?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bbjeg, Nov 26, 2013.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the company more, but that's the point, right? Also classes sounds like a good idea.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

That's too bad. If you're a regular, can't you speak to someone about it? Or you can go the reusable bag route and get ones that fold up so it's not like you're carrying a bunch of big empty bags into the store. The ones I have are surprisingly durable, as I load them up with all sorts of things and they haven't broken yet. They fold up into little balls until you're ready to use them.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    My sympathies to you - I hope your municipality has the sloped corners on the sidewalks so you don't have to risk tripping. I use canes myself, so I know how dangerous it can be to get around where more able-bodied people wouldn't think twice about any potential problems. Your accident sounds scary - I hope the driver who ran into you got serious consequences for what he did.

Does your city have anything like bus or taxi service for the physically disabled? We have an Action Bus here, although it's a pain to use - the trips are first-come, first-served, so I've had the experience of being told, "Sorry, we can't take you to your emergency clinic appointment even though you're feverish and in severe pain, some elderly lady booked a shopping trip 2 weeks ago for this exact time and there's no way we can allow the two of you to ride together even though she'll be the only passenger on board."

I've never seen bags like that. I do take used plastic bags with me, as some stores use tiny little bags, or I want extra padding if I buy something breakable. The reusables you can get around here all have store advertising on them, and I prefer not to be a walking billboard for them.

There are three stores where I do grocery shopping, and all of them allow me to put my wheeled trolley into the regular shopping cart as long as I don't put any purchases in them before paying (I trust their security cameras would prove that I'm not a shoplifter). There was an incident at the store I use most often... it was a newer clerk who had the idea that it was acceptable for her to grab my trolley and start inspecting it, without so much as a "Do you mind if I check this". If she'd asked beforehand I would have said okay, but I object to clerks just grabbing my stuff and looking through it.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The trolley things they have here are very crappy. I've never understood it, you see women in their 80's dragging these things around with tiny crappy wheels, loaded with kilos of items, no ability to turn it. They should make them like they do the new strollers these days, designed for lightness and durability. You can push the strollers with one hand even with a 3 year old in it.. this would be fantastic for a shopping cart. In teacake's world without cars these would be the norm! I have planned these in my mind for a long time :lol:

Do any of the big stores state do online delivery Melakon? I can get anything delivered here online, you order vegetables by weight etc.. I had problems with it last time I tried to use it (getting delivered the wrong items, but they do fix this) but at least it's available, for a nominal fee.

5. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I don't know about the cart/backpack thing, but in a lot of stores here you can purchase a small, folding shopping cart for about $40 that has wheels on it. I drive a bus for a senior living community and see a number of the ladies using these to carry any number of items through the malls. They look very handy, and grocery stores should not have any issue with them as they are almost exactly like the store's carts, only smaller.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well, I'm in a better mood than I was earlier today. About 2 hours ago, a friend delivered something that (shall we say) put me in a different state of mind. Like I said before, it was a day that didn't start off well. The next few months are always rough for me due to seasonal depression, but I'll be good for a few weeks.

7. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I just add salt to my Mom's cooking and tell her she's great. It way to much trouble otherwise.

8. teacake

Sriracha. Liberally applied. Will fix anything.

9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a cool idea! You'd be doing something together and it might actually be a lot of fun.
    Or you could suggest that you could try out diferent/new recipes for Thanksgiving together. If you make it look like you're trying to take some of the workload off her and at the same time spend more time with her, she is very likely to buy it.

Is all her cooking terrible? If there's something she is really good at, you should tell her so. She might get the hint and cook that for Thanksgiving. (if she doesn't, just ask her if she could cook it for you. She'll feel flattered.)

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

No luck on the Thanksgiving pizza.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That's too bad. If she's still determined to cook next year and isn't open to the cooking lessons ideas others have suggested, maybe now would be a good time to start saving for a catered meal for next year. ;)

12. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Hope you are all right today, bbjeg...

13. Fatal Einstein

Fatal Einstein Cadet Newbie

You buy the bad cook a good cook book. Allow some time for reading and applying lessons.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

This Thanksgiving was one of her good days (though I filled up more on my mashed potatoes, and a green bean casserole and an apple pie that relatives brought). Her food was pretty good and not as bad as I thought it would be.

I got her a Kindle (with a gift card for purchasing books) that she never uses. Classes would be my best bet.

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be a bit too straightforward, I fear. Mothers are highly explosive matter that must be handled with care :D

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^So true, especially with my mother.

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. :techman:
    :rommie:

This is a good idea.
    ...including constipation! :devil:

My suggestion would be a smoked turkey. These are pre-cooked and not very expensive. ALDI had Butterball Smoked Turkeys at a good price. I fed 6 people with plenty left over for sandwiches, turkey salad, etc. for about $20.

I just warmed it in the oven @ 325 degrees F for about 2 hours. You can also grill it or served thawed... it's ready to eat.

Last year, my brother told me he hated my homemade stuffing. He told me he likes Stove-Top much better. I was a little hurt, but 10 minutes versus 2 hours of prep & baking is much easier on me.

I cook all our holiday meals. Thanksgiving consists of candied yams, green bean casserole, dressing/stuffing, cranberry sauce and rolls... plus the smoked turkey. At Christmas, we have ham instead of turkey... everything else is the same. [My family is very steadfastly traditional = boring!]:bolian:

18. teacake

Now I want some turkey. And some yams. And someone else to cook for me.

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Come on over and I'll cook for you, my dear Ms. teacake. :techman:

20. teacake

:: books the plane ticket ::

Wait a minute.. it's winter there right? I don't know if I can hack it. Maybe I'll just go get some Chinese.