post Fate of the Jedi trilogy, OT era series announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Aug 29, 2012.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ah, right. At some point he ends up there, though. The Legacy comics established that Jag would be declared Emperor, institute a Fel Dynasty, and establish the Imperial Knights order of Force users.

By the end of FOTJ, I was much more interested in Jag's story and all the political machinations inside the Empire than I was in the Abeloth and Sith war.

You have a point. I didn't include it above, though, because I don't feel that her actions there were necessarily tied directly to Jaina having been dubbed the "Sword of the Jedi," whereas, if I recall correctly, she used that title as part of her justification in LOTF for being the one to confront Caedus.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I believe that was really the first time that Jaina embraced the title Luke had given her.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ah, can't speak to that bit. Haven't read the comic series, just the books.

Eh, several writers now have tried to force that title, repeating it a few times here and there. It just hasn't FIT yet, or really even made any sense. It was made out to be this big 'thing', driven by the Force, that Luke didn't really even understand when he was saying it. Being one out of many in a couple big fights really hasn't given it any relevence. Even in the Cadeus showdown, really wasn't much there to play with.

It's something that was thrown out to play with, and while a few people have tried, so far NOTHING really has worked for me with it.

They kinda played with the idea a little when she was training with Fett, but it didn't go far enough towards her developing some new understanding of things, new technique or weapon, or even a big enough showdown (or sacrifice) on behalf of the Jedi to justify what they've put out there...

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I highly recommend Legacy. It's some of the best EU stuff in recent years.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've read about half of Legacy so far, and I second Skywalker's recommendation. It's pretty damn good stuff, and I just ordered the last two trade paperbacks I need to complete my collection a couple hours ago. I'm very much looking forward to starting the series over again with the momentum that having the whole series should add to my reading pace.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Dark Horse held a Q&A sesson at the recent Star Wars Celebration VI event with Editor Randy Stradley. One tiny little bit that kind of flew under most people's radar was this brief exchange between Stradley and a fan:
    http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/08/23/star-wars-celebration-vi-dark-horse-comics-looks-ahead-to-2013/

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the people talking about Jag, I did read a description on Star Wars.com that said the series will focus on Jaina and Jag.

8. Admiral_Young

Legacy was awesome. I wouldn't mind novels from that era...but kind of doubt that would happen.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if they did tie in novels, if they did more comics in the era. We have gotten a Knights Errant, and now a Dawn of the Jedi novel, so they appear to be doing comic/novel tie ins as a regular(ish?) thing now.

10. Skywalker

I'd rather not see Del Rey screw up the Legacy era (the real one). I'd only want to see a Legacy novel if Ordover were writing it.

11. Admiral_Young

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Legacy "prequel" books by Ordover. I've always been interested in the backstory of Legacy.

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Skywalker

...Why did I say Ordover? :wtf: :lol:

14. Admiral_Young

^ Apparently I was following your lead lol. Oops. Perhaps we both have Trek Lit on our minds :)

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The tie-ins to the Legacy era have already started in the novels. Check out Paul S. Kemp's Jaden Korr duology and both Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series and you'll see some clear, and not so clear ties to the Legacy comics. I can only imagine that as the novels progress that we'll get even more references.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I read on Wookiepedia that one of the Legacy of the Force books had a someone visiting the One Sith from Legacy.

17. Admiral_Young

Not sure if this has been brought up already but at Celebration VI Del Ray also announced that the next Essential Guide to Characters would be out next summer. Dan Wallace is the author , and all 150 images of art are being done by "Star Wars: Dark Times" artist Doug Wheatley (who I'm not familiar with). This is actually exciting news. It's been quite awhile since the last edition...I think the last release coincided with "The Attack of the Clones" release, so this is gonna be a big update.

18. Skywalker

I don't really have any interest in those Essential Guide books anymore, they become outdated as soon as a new novel comes out. Plus they're kind of redundant in the wiki era.

19. Admiral_Young

True...I've always been a sucker for them though, and the art work is normally fantastic.

20. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, Alema Rar, a fallen and slightly crazy Jedi, visited the One Sith so the authors could specify their relation to what Lumiya was up to.

A certain One Sith with heterochromia (well, sort of) also made an appear in the final Fate of the Jedi novel. Also Jacen specifically calls him the Dark Man he saw on the Throne of Balance, so his actions possibly stopped the One Sith from coming to Dominance within the next decade or so (based on Jacen seeing his daughter by the Dark Man's side) and delaying that conflict for a century.