Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Jul 12, 2013.

?

How do you rate Pacific Rim?

1. A+

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. A

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. A-

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. B+

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. F

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. F-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I loved it - It's on Track One for me!

2. Tulin

I'm in the same boat - we hardly EVER watch telly and I have seen ads several times!

3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I thought it was wonderful. It was big, loud, and colorful, with a fair bit of cheese too. Just how this sort of film should be.

Though when I hear comments such as, how did a good movie like this flop, while something like Star Trek Into Darkness does well, I sorta have to roll my eyes. I mean, this film was an absolute blast, but at no point did I think that it's close to STID in terms of being a "good movie". The acting was passable at best, with Charlie Day being the bright spot to me, and the plot had some holes and contrivances. While watching Star Trek, there were moments where I was thinking, "Wow, this is a really good film, with some really good acting". I never thought that while watching this, I just thought that "wow, this was really fun". I don't think a good movie, and a fun movie are mutually exclusive, and this was a fun movie.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night. Loved it, it was awesome, so much fun to watch. I wasn't disappointed with any element in the film, and at the end me and my friend turned to each other with big grins on our faces.

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I watched it yesterday and LOVED it!

Pacific Rim is the movie I've been waiting for while I was watching all those spectacular, but soulless Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich, and Zack Snyder movies. In it, Del Toro delivers one of the greatest examples of sci-fi world building I've seen in cinema. The attention to detail is incredible and he nails the sense of scale and weight that so many similar movies lack.

That said, it's probably not for everyone. If two hours of giant robots hitting giant monsters in spectacular ways doesn't sound like fun to you, Pacific Rim might not be your cup of tea. It's basically an extremely nerdy movie, which is also why I'm not hugely surprised that it isn't doing too well at the box office. But if you're anything like me, your inner 10 year-old is going to lose his (or her) mind and fall madly in love with this movie.

As for the 3D: Considering the movie was shot in 2D and Del Toro didn't even want it to be 3D, it's remarkable that the 3D is among the best I've seen, on par with the likes of Avatar, Hugo, and Life of Pi.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ The 3D made the helicopters look like toys.

7. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ 3D does have a tendency to make big things look tiny, and that's what happened with some things like the helicopters in a few places. But it didn't happen with the giant robots and monsters, and that's what matters (to me).

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

While I agree STID might be the stronger and better-written movie, PR still had something I thought was sorely lacking from that other movie-- a real sense of awe and wonder.

STID was one very fast-paced action extravaganza, but there was very little that made your jaw draw with wonder at what you were looking at (the massive Vengeance dropping out of warp in front of the Enterprise is about the only one that comes to mind). PR on the other hand was absolutely chock full of those kind of moments.

9. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Oh, heyyyyy...thanks, Goji!

(runs off to Amazon)

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Had an absolute blast with this movie! I'll admit - I was in it for the mechs and Del Toro, never seen any kaiju movies. But so very much fun.

And add me to the list of "not a particular fan of anime, but really enjoyed this movie" crowd.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

When the trailers for this movie came out it looked incredibly stupid and I was ready to completely write it off. But then I saw some good word of mouth from it from friends, from some on-line personalities and such, so I thought I'd give it a chance.

And I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed this movie, full of cliches and stock characters but, damn was it a lot of fun. Well paced and good looking. Even saw it IMAX 3D which looked spectacular. Kudos to del Toro. And Ron Pearlman was great. Too bad the movie is bombing at the BO.

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guess the Sons of Anarchy connection didn't do squat for it huh?

13. Tulin

What's the connection - never seen an ep.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think the lead actor is from Sons.

15. Tulin

Oh okay - really liked him so might be a reason to watch!

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yes it is.

It really isn't.

There's almost always got to be some overlooking of the plot and common sense flaws in sci-fi movies. This (and I admit that it might be a failing common to monster movies in general) really needs the acceptance of utterly HUGE amounts of stupid.

I don't even think it's better than the last couple of sci-fi movies I've seen this year. Man Of Steel and WWZ fyi...

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Care to explain where the huge amounts of stupid are? Yeah, the story isn't complex, but that doesn't mean it's dumb.

18. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ Yup, I feel the same way. Lack of subtlety isn't necessarily the same as stupidity. I guess he could be referring to some of this stuff, but I don't agree at all with most of those points.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That article is the definition of "haters gotta hate".

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Especially the point of about the number of tropes in a movie. Tropes are not bad! Tropes are simply elements that occur frequently in fiction. It is all how you present them! If you had a movie without a single trope, you would not have a movie.