Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I belong to the Toho Kingdom message boards and many over there would love to see a motion capture perfromance and I would too!

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

This would also serve to keep Godzilla in a more traditional posture, rather than the modern accepted dinosaurian posture like the '98 film.

I also post to Toho Kingdom at times, but in all honesty the immaturity bubbles up so quickly there it isn't worth my time to post in anything except for current event threads like DVD releases and actual news (rather than speculation or wishful thinking) threads for G2014.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As it happens, 2001's Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack was originally going to portray Godzilla with a horizontal-bodied posture, but it put too much strain on the performer in the suit.

4. Gojira

I don't want Godzilla to have a stance like he did in the 1998 movie but I don't want him to be as virtical as some of the suits made him. A slight hunched over walk would be nice.

Yeah, I have realized that I am the oldest person on that forum and the immaturity does prevent any real discussion.

5. Gojira

Godzilla starts filming today in Vancouver!!!

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to smile at the seeming irony of that announcement. Godzilla and Vancouver just don't sound like words that should be grouped within the same sentence. :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

7. Christopher

I'm sure the people of Vancouver will feel the same way once he's done with their city... ;)

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Would be fun to see some of the Vancouver SF/F regulars: Heyerdahl, Robbins et al. And if go mo-cap, please give Godzilla some personality :)

9. Christopher

Let's do both at once! "And Starring Mike Dopud as Godzilla!"

10. Gojira

Here is Aaron Perry Taylor-Johnsonwith his new military hair cut ready to start filming Godzilla.

[​IMG]

11. Gojira

Comingsoon.net is reporting the following…

Canada.com has revealed that the production for the remake of Godzilla has found a home and it’s in the city of Nanaimo in British Columbia. Here are the details they’ve revealed:
    Gareth Edward’s sci-fi reboot of the city-destroying Godzilla is being filmed across Vancouver Island this March, from Nanaimo’s Old Victoria Road to Ladysmith and Shawnigan Lake. More than 300 crew members are expected to land in the Harbour City for the eight-day central Island shoot and have pledged to use local extras, staff and equipment.
    The film, whose working title is Nautilus, did a casting call in February for extras and recently notified residents along Old Victoria Road that filming is about to begin. Joan Miller, the North Island film commissioner, says Vancouver Island will make up the first shots for the new take on the legendary radioactive monster, which is set to hit theatres next year. Crews will stay in Nanaimo hotels for three days while they shoot the scenes downtown and Ladysmith area before they move onto Shawnigan Lake.
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101682#k90Ipq4HfhlsW6li.99

12. Gojira

More info released today...

Caleb Pierce
    Hot off the presses

WARNER BROS. PICTURES AND LEGENDARY PICTURES ANNOUNCE CAST AND START OF PRODUCTION FOR “GODZILLA”
    BURBANK, CA, March 18, 2013 – Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today the final principal cast for the upcoming tent pole “Godzilla.” Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, and Juliette Binoche are starring in the film, with David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston.

The companies also announced that principal photogr...aphy began today on location in Vancouver.

Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callaham. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher are serving as executive producers alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, “Godzilla” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. Legendary Pictures is a division of Legendary Entertainment.

Slated to open on May 16, 2014, the film is expected to be presented in 3D.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why the would announce the title they are using while filming. I thought the whole point of the alternate title was so no one knew what they were filming.

14. Gojira

I know! Very strange. Maybe they want the publicity?

15. Gojira

a couple of pictures from the set...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Gojira

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But if they want publicity why would they use a different name?

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone might have just figured out that Nautilus is Godzilla and report on it. It's like when gaming consoles have code names, but everyone figures out what they mean anyways.

19. Gojira

20. Christopher

I don't think it's that uncommon. After all, it can take months to shoot a film, so you don't necessarily need to cast a role before shooting if you won't be filming their scenes until later in the process.

There have, of course, been cases when a role was recast shortly after shooting began, like Hugh Jackman replacing Dougray Scott as Wolverine and Viggo Mortenson replacing Stuart Townsend as Aragorn.