Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Good point. That is the exact opposite of reflecting the times. A real SF show is about showing something very much other than what was true about the world at the time of filming. Do they think the Feds were peaceful because times were mild, and it was easy to be that way? It's MORE important when the world's violent.
    -----------------
    Welcome.

BrazenFirefly likes this.
  2. brianwdaugherty

brianwdaugherty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello fellow sentients,

I'm Brian and I'm from Earth by way of Kentucky, USA. I've been a Trekker all my life (in fact, I vaguely remember watching TAS as a little kid during its original run). While other kids dreamed of jumping in x-wing fighters and blowing up death stars, I wanted to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where no one had gone before.

Although I have grown roots in other fandoms (DC, NCIS, BSG), Star Trek is the one closest to my heart. The themes it has consistently represented call out the best in humanity and are now needed more than ever.

Other personal info: I've had a couple of major transitions in the past two years -- a spinal cord injury and the loss of my job in the journalism industry -- that I'm still navigating through. I'm also an aspiring fiction writer, having gotten my start on alternate history boards and fanfic forums (I don't write to 'ship', I write to tell interesting stories.

SPCTRE likes this.
  3. ChasFink

ChasFink Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Greetings, all!

I'm a new member. [Pause for applause]

Being old enough to remember when Star Trek (no bloody A, B, C, D, or TOS) premiered, and therefore being old enough to not remember when I first saw an episode, I'm surprised that I didn't sign up here sooner. More about me later, but on to actually posting on the main forums.

SPCTRE and brianwdaugherty like this.
  4. GreenDragonKnight

GreenDragonKnight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, and I thought it amazing that I remember seeing Wrath of Khan in theatres - having, as of that point, never seen a single episode of Star Trek, but being amazed at Mr. Rorke, not wearing a white suit, and as a bad guy!!!! :nyah:

5. comesect2.0

comesect2.0 Cadet Newbie

[​IMG] Opening hailing frequencies**
    Greetings! BIpIv'a' !
    Just a good ol Klingon from Texas, grew up watching a few episodes of tos on television (reruns) and relish the memory of seeing the ships and effects as they were then, later on watched tng, ds9 and voyager unfold everyweek...I admire and hope to be inspired to learn by all of you who can create models/prop replicas ect.
    captain pike holds a special place in my heart symbolically.. happen to be the only one I know who enjoys all and everything trek so I may fall into that category of its more than a tv show....those set colours on tng were groovy and either I took too much acid in my younger years or had one of those intense dreams that burn into your inner being...but its like..........ive been there. :hugegrin: :alienblush::whistle:

Q'APLA!

6. brianwdaugherty

7. brianwdaugherty

Um, that goes for ChasFink and comesect both :)

8. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Yikes, what's the story behind decapitating Pike?! Welcome...

9. lostsoul70

lostsoul70 Cadet Newbie

Hi this is my first post. I'm 70 years old and I have seen every TV star trek more than once and of course all the movies more than once. My understanding was that many years ago they were not going to make any more Star Trek's for TV. I was so thrill that they are making another one and I have it in my computer so not to forget because my memory isn't what it use to be. There is no way I'm missing this one on Sunday unless I'm dead. I figure I should be OK because it's only less than 3 days away.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Welcome!

I'm going to move this to our introduction thread.

Hold on.

11. AndyUK

AndyUK Ensign Red Shirt

Greetings all! Another person jumping on the Discovery bandwagon and using it as an opportunity to re-engage with the fandom. It's actually the first series that I've been able to watch as it is airing, so that is pretty cool!

12. Scotty's Scotch Bottle

Scotty's Scotch Bottle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello - New Member Here!

I grew up on TOS in the 70's and have been an avid Star Trek watcher ever since. I even grew up to become a space scientist, which I think has to have been partially influenced by Star Trek. Anyway, joined on here to partake in Discovery discussions.

UnknownSample likes this.
  13. shakham

shakham Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm a long time trek fan. I watched reruns of TOS in my childhood. Watched every series and movies since then.

I think only Enterprise I watched after the fact but basically because of being too busy in life.

I have gone to one convention in my life. Shatner was the guest. I never dressed up as anything though. Had fun though :).

I watch hockey. Love the player name Shattenkirk. Can't imagine why you can't like like that name ;).

Never really got involved in any forums or social media on trek. Let's see if I can give this any time :).

Pleasure to meet you all virtually.

14. ohdeve.

ohdeve. Ensign Newbie

Hi. I was here a long time ago, and I left, and now I'm back again. Happy to be here. We have a new Star Trek series to nitpick to death...very exciting stuff.

15. ColdEagle

ColdEagle Cadet Newbie

Guess I better say hi,
    I eased back on the ST when Voyager ended, caught the rebooted films and started watching Ent. for the first time at the start of the year.
    Went to destination ST in the UK (Birmingham) earlier this year and felt at home even though it was my first real con. That familiarity and star trek "mentality" has reignited my comfort in the community and slowly I'm starting to open my heart again to a series and fandom i've missed terribly. Just got back from ST the exhibition in blackpool yesterday - had so much fun.

/ends rant sorry didn't mean to get sappy.

Greetings all. =/\=

16. ColdEagle

ColdEagle Cadet Newbie

P.s is there a dark theme setting on here somewhere? Fingers crossed. Sorry I can't seem to edit this into my above post.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In the lower left is a teardrop-looking icon that says "Style Chooser" if you put your cursor over it. Clicking on that gives a couple of less blinding options. (I use Big Blue myself.)

ColdEagle likes this.
  18. Ensign Mas

Ensign Mas Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello! I'm a fan of Trek, even though I wouldn't label myself a hardcore Trekkie, from Sweden. Been a lurker for some time, but thought it's time to get a bit more engaged in the discussions.

19. ll StarTrekFan ll

ll StarTrekFan ll Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello everyone. I am a final year undergraduate History and Mathematics double major living in the United States interested in essentially all topics History and Math/Science related (eg. Sci-Fi). I love Star Trek and have seen all of the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, and the Movies (old+new). I look forward to interacting with people on this forum who have similar interests and the benefit of receiving the insights of other members with knowledge and differing perspectives as I know there are people from various backgrounds in the community.

Thanks for your time.

20. Cephas7

Cephas7 Ensign Newbie

Hello fellow Star Trek and scifi lovers. I am new here, so i will be going around the website reading an writing this and that. Hope to have some fun here, and above all, have some great discussions about the Star Trek universe.

ll StarTrekFan ll likes this.