Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Captain Shade

Captain Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And I know obsession...Just read my signature.

2. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

haha sometimes it's good to obsess over something

3. melvinfrank

melvinfrank Cadet Newbie

how do i send a photo

4. Captain Shade

You can't post a photo, until you reach 100 posts. A safety catch, to keep spammers at bay. You can, however, post a link to said picture.

5. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Are you sure? I could post photos almost instantly.

To do so find the picture you want and right click copy and paste

6. Captain Shade

No, I'm not. Just going by what the rules say.

7. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Get To Know You Thread, For Both New And Old Trekkies Alike!

We all interact with each other on a daily basis without knowing anything more about the other people we're talking to then that they too like Star Trek. I know threads have been made before for new members to the forum, but there are also people on here who have been here for years, why leave them out of the discussion? So this is a thread for all of us trekkies to really get to know each other. What do you guys do for a career? How old are you? Where are you from? When did you get into Star Trek and how? All of these are things that could really give us some wonderful insight to the others we are talking to, and even enhance the conversations that are brought up in other forums, past, present and future!

I'll start with myself!

I am likely one of the younger writers on this site since I'm the ripe old age of 21. I got into Star Trek a little over a year ago after countless friends encouraged me to start watching the series. I started with the pilot episode "The Cage" and I haven't looked back since. I have now seen every episode from every series and all of the movies since "Star Trek The Motion Picture." My love for Trek goes even further than the shows though. I became quite enthralled with the show and started collecting comics, books, magazines, toys, games, clothing basically anything pertaining to Star Trek I can find. I was never raised around Star Trek, though I do vaguely remember my dad talking to me about being a fan when he was alive. His passing was another thing that got me into Star Trek, watching a show that he watched helps to to feel close to him even after his death. I enlisted in the military right out of high school, I joined in Florida where I was living at the time, though I'm originally from Maryland. I've been in the Navy for almost 3 years now (I hit the three year mark in June) and have been on one deployment, with another coming up soon. Aside from the military I also teach yoga 4 days a week and model in Nevada and California on weekends. My love for Star Trek sometimes creeps over into my modeling career too, I've done cosplay modeling and promotion modeling for comicons and magazines. Star Trek has basically taken over my life and I love it. I'm pretty new to this forum, I joined a little less than two weeks ago, but I love it! It's so nice to have a group of people to talk Trek with, without people staring blankly at you asking what in the world you're talking about haha. Trek may not have always been my love, but it's my one and only now, and I'm not complaining!

So let's hear about you guys. Write what ever about yourself you think is important or pertinent for other people to know. That when we come across each other on future forums we can have a little bit more background information about who we're talking to!

8. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Get To Know You Thread, For Both New And Old Trekkies Alike!

Just a pathetic 37 year old loser. :sigh: ETA: From Virginia ADD: Got into ST from TNG.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Brie,

Since your thread was so similar to this one, I am merging the two. "Old" Trekkies can post in here as well as "New" ones...

:techman:

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, I'll play . . . although I honestly can't remember if I contributed to the original thread or not and am not going to click through 78 pages to find out! :)

Short version. I was born near the very tail end of the 1950s and genuinely cannot remember a time when I wasn't a fan of science fiction, monster movies, comic books, and, of course, STAR TREK. (I would've been around seven when TOS debuted on NBC.)

Grew up in Washington State, somewhere between Seattle and Tacoma. Discovered fandom and sf conventions in college back in the early eighties. Got a degree in Chemistry, but soon realized that I was better at science fiction than real science. (Truth be told, I was a pretty mediocre chemist.) Did the starving writer thing for awhile, selling the occasional short story to magazines like AMAZING STORIES and MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE, while working an assortment of odd jobs: busboy, skid-row phlebotomist, etc.

In one of my smarter moves, I attended the Clarion West SF and Fantasy Writing Workshop in Seattle, where my instructors included a few former STAR TREK writers and editors: Norman Spinrad, Vonda McIntyre, and David Hartwell. David convinced me to move to New York City and get a job in publishing. (The phrase "wasting your life" may have been uttered.) I ended up spending several years working as a book editor in NYC, while writing on the side. Started writing TREK books in 1995, around the time DS9 debuted, and have been at it ever since.

Eventually I segued from being a full-time editor who writes on the side to being a full-time editor who still does a little editing on the side. (Technically, I'm a Consulting Editor for Tor Books.) Eventually I moved out of NYC and relocated to rural Pennsylvania, just south of Philadelphia. And here we are . . ..

Don't get to as many conventions as I used, back when I was younger, but I still like to hit one or two a year . . ..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  11. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Is there any way I could create a separate thread? Just since this ones been going on so long, like a nice refresher. I can change up the topic a bit, that way it's not so similar.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I live on the West Coast of the US and I work in an office.
    I've always been interested in science fiction, ever since I was a little kid. I enjoy the original Star Trek, as well as other classic TV shows such as The Outer Limits and Mission Impossible.
    I used to post here a lot, and then I took a little break. Now I'm posting again.

Kor

13. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When you look that good, I don't think anyone would object to you posting pictures of yourself :techman:

14. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I loved TNG when I was a kid, but never got to watching the other Star Trek's. Once Netflix started offering TNG, I began rewatching the whole series. After finishing it, I wanted more, so I went back and watched the TOS and finished watching all the other Star Treks. Just this week I finished watching Enterprise. I joined a few weeks ago but avoiding posting and reading too much to avoid any spoilers. I'll probably be posting more now that I've finished it all and still rewatch episodes here and there.

15. Bille de clown

Bille de clown Ensign Newbie

Hello hello! I'm Bille de clown (as you could guess, I'm French) and I've been a Star Trek fan for 12 years now! I started by TNG (loved Data within five minutes), then the movies and TOS, then DS9, which remains my favorite. My favorite characters are Spock, Data and Odo (as a neurodivergent person, I tend to sympathize with similar characters).
    IRL, I'm in bioinformatics and I do programming on the side for fun (yes, it IS fun).

16. FADM Tribble

FADM Tribble Ensign Red Shirt

Hello everyone, I am FADM (Fleet Admiral) Tribble. I've been a Star Trek fan for just about all my life, because I can't even remember a time I didn't watch Star Trek. I started by watching TNG and the films. I finally got around to watching TOS, DS9, VOY, and ENT the following decade in the 2000s. I still haven't seen Enterprise all the way through, but a friend and I are planning on binge watching it in the next few weeks.

My favorite characters across all Trek include Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Picard, Data, Q, Odo, and Quark.

My favorites of all Star Trek consits of TOS, TNG, DS9, and at least half of the films. Even though it's not official Trek, I am really enjoying Star Trek: Continues. When I ever get around to making a favorite episode list, I am going to list "Lolani" as an honorable mention because it was terrific.

I've never had a chance to play any of the game except for Star Trek: Legacy, which was alright. Will anyone here recommend any Trek games I should play?

I am still currently in college, but my financial aid ends after this semester so I need to find a summer job and pay my classes next semester myself.

17. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Commander Red Shirt

I've been a lurker here for...let's just say a fair while, and recently gathered up just about enough courage to actually join. I fear I'm a sight too self-concious for my own good.

Star Trek has been a prominent love of mine since I first saw the original series and TNG some 25-ish years ago, and I hold it at least partially responsible for my undying and likely unwise optimistic streak. My views on the show can be a little unorthodox - for example, I find Berman-era Klingons a lot less interesting than, say, the Romulans or the Cardassians - so I apologise in advance for any feathers inadvertently ruffled.

Personally, I can be eccentric, zany, inquisitive, quiet, thoughtful, retiring, idiosyncratic and inappropriately affectionate, sometimes all in rapid succession. I'm highly creative, with a deep appreciation for a well crafted story - another thing to partially blame Trek for - and a likely unhealthy obsession with anthropomorphism, hence my choice of moniker. More details I'll spare for those mad or bored enough to be interested.

Also, I tend to go on a bit. Hope I can find a place here. :-)

18. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Welcome CC, I think you'll 'fit in' better than you think!

19. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

Oh no that's terrible, I'm sure you'll find a job. That's one of the reasons I joined the Navy (college)

20. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

I would like to suggest two threads if I may. I put this here because I don't know where else to put it and i still can't start new threads.

I just finished watching TMP. And I've come to realize something about it for the first time.

I think this movie inadvertently predicted the coming of the NSA.

Here's how I came to that realization.

At the beginning we see the monitoring station, well, monitoring the Klingons attack V'Ger.

Then I realized that that station is a lot like the NSA complex in Utah. It has sophisticated monitoring technology to monitor an incredibly large terriory of outer space.

BUT whether it is meant to intentionally spy on Klingon space, or is just to monitor interstellar phenomenon for scientific purposes, or is just a station to monitor the Federation space and possible incursions into it, well, that has never really been truly defined.

Here is the website for that Utah complex:

http://www.generationsoflight.com/

You see, this complex is for the monitoring of all 320 million Americans and millions more people overseas, friend and foe alike.

So, this raises ethical questions, of course, and the possibility that if that base is for espionage, then could it have been set up by Section 31?

We all know that original Kirk has a love affair with his ship that is so strong that no woman can tie him down. The Enterprise will ALWAYS pull him back.

BUT, i think that there is the possibility that there is one other man who might out do him.

And that is Scotty.

For while kirk has the connection, Scotty knows the vessel intimately and will even fight Klingons for her honor.

So I put the question to you? Who do you think loves the Enterprise more, Kirk or Scotty?