Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old June 27 2014, 05:52 AM   #31
gturner
Admiral

Re: We Are The Universe

HIjol wrote: View Post
Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Wereghost wrote: View Post
Unless we're the beta test, of course.
Mind = TOTALLY BLOWN.
Now THERE is one HELL of a thought...Beta test...wow

INTO, do not lament...I think you started one heck of an interesting thread conversation...all of you who posted have some pretty interesting and seemingly informed things to say...I would like to think our "essence", the literal fiber of our being exists in some form after the show is over...not in a religious sense, but in some form of quantum "return to the factory" way that can be added to this magnificence we call the Universe...ole' Carl said it best, IMHO:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Yeah, I just pooped out the remains of a steak, and the cow had thought the same thing. I praised the tenderness of the fiber of his being, sang his spirit song to Carl Sagan, wiped my butt, and popped the top off another beer, giving praise to Ninkasa the Sumerian beer goddess, along with the cute poofy god of soft squeezable toilet paper.

Religious epiphanies have their ups and down like that.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 07:04 AM   #32
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Sure it is. You can say we have not found the evidence yet, but if there is something that is measurable, which energy usually is, the absence of any evidence can be taken as evidence of absence.

Otherwise: hello, invisible pink unicorns!

How about this one: That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 06:42 PM   #33
HIjol
Fleet Captain

gturner wrote: View Post
Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Mind = TOTALLY BLOWN.
Now THERE is one HELL of a thought...Beta test...wow

INTO, do not lament...I think you started one heck of an interesting thread conversation...all of you who posted have some pretty interesting and seemingly informed things to say...I would like to think our "essence", the literal fiber of our being exists in some form after the show is over...not in a religious sense, but in some form of quantum "return to the factory" way that can be added to this magnificence we call the Universe...ole' Carl said it best, IMHO:

Yeah, I just pooped out the remains of a steak, and the cow had thought the same thing. I praised the tenderness of the fiber of his being, sang his spirit song to Carl Sagan, wiped my butt, and popped the top off another beer, giving praise to Ninkasa the Sumerian beer goddess, along with the cute poofy god of soft squeezable toilet paper.

Religious epiphanies have their ups and down like that.
...and to think that there are some that would merely call that "Dinner and a Dump"!...ha!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 06:48 PM   #34
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post

Sure it is. You can say we have not found the evidence yet, but if there is something that is measurable, which energy usually is, the absence of any evidence can be taken as evidence of absence.

Otherwise: hello, invisible pink unicorns!

How about this one: That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Pink Unicorns?...hmmm...think I might have seen one or two of those back in the college days...

I like your quote! Good one!...as I said in my post, mine was a quote from Carl Sagan...I just liked it because it kind of says that we have not uncovered it all yet...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old June 27 2014, 07:33 PM   #35
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Christopher Hitchens said mine.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 04:34 AM   #36
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
Christopher Hitchens said mine.
Wow!...just did a little reading on him...he really took on the big issues and icons!...and with a "no f-ing around" attitude...sorry to read he is dead, but he really left a serious body of work and debate...
Old June 29 2014, 02:24 PM   #37
varek
Commander

I understand what you are trying to say, Into Darkness, about matter consisting of energy.
I recently read about the Copenhagen Window, which says that we can (theoretically) foresee every possibility of people's actions that could happen in the next few seconds and thus what the immediate future could be. You could assign probabilities to each potential outcome and choose the one you would prefer or the most likely one.
So, in that sense, you might say we are the universe, determining what the past was, what the present is and what the near-future will be.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote