IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old July 9 2014, 12:04 AM   #16
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: 10 reasons why I hate Star Trek Into Darkness

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I for one love that these films have breathed new life into the franchise that was dormant and likely to remain that way for another 5 years or so. While I liked ST2009, STID was a much tighter story with greater momentum and depth, and far fewer mistakes and issues. I for one found the Khan story to be an homage rather than a rip off. Among my favorite parts is the interaction between Kirk and Pike, which is particularly well-written and acted. I wish Pike was not killed off but it certainly gave Kirk motivation. I also really liked the scene in Mudd's ship in which Spock explains his actions and feelings to Uhura; excellent writing and acting once again. Having Sulu take the big chair was a great moment as well. On a 4-star scale, I'd give the first film 3 and the second 3 1/2. I'm hopeful the next one will earn 4 stars.
Old July 9 2014, 12:20 AM   #17
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: 10 reasons why I hate Star Trek Into Darkness

dammitjim6400 wrote: View Post
Hello..Look I've been a life long Trek fan, loved all the Trek movies until the protuberant JJ Abrams took over and made it into an EMO, over blown, noisey parade of Trek cosplayers, I almost walked out of Into Darkness. BUT I wanted to finish my buttered popcorn and raisinets and hope it would get better..It didn't so I stayed up till the point when Kirk gave his speech at the end, then I left, but for those of us who feel sicken by Abram's Trek here's my humble list of why I hate it, let's see if some of you agree.

1. Kirk- Look say what you want about Shatner but his Kirk in TOS was the coolest Space hero since flash Gordon (until Picard came) Pine's Kirk is a total loser and don't give me the "Oh he's young, oh he's not experienced" stuff. He's the CAPTAIN for crying out loud, he should at least act like it.

2. Khan- Come on, This Khan is no way near threatening as Ricardo Montalban's Khan, he's like an android who just kills because of some weak Star fleet Admiral Marcus (not worth mentioning)

3.The Enterprise in Water ? even Scotty thought this was Stupid.

4. Spock - Look..Nimoy's Spock was the best, no doubt.What does Spock do in Abrams' Trek ? he's an Emo kid who jumps off buildings fights like Captain America constantly shows emotion wrecklessly in love, more on this later.

5. McCoy- Karl Urban tries so hard to be Deforest Kelly that he comes off as W.C fields (all you teens look him up)

6. The Uniforms..Look I might be alone on this, but think those uniforms are ridiculous,they look dull. TOS uniforms with the flare legs were cool, these remakes dosen't cut it, and those grey dress uniforms look more StarWars than Star Trek.

7. Spock and Uhura- This makes no sense. A logical strict officer breaking regulations being in love with a subordinate ?
bad writing.( more on that later)

8. The Klingons-This is when I cried, to see a proud warrior race turned into a bunch of thugs and punks with horrible make up, and did one of them had an earring ? NOOO

9.Scotty quitting- you know your captain is incompetent when his chief Engineer quits and ends up in a bar.

10. The Story- where do I begin ? from the ridiculous reason to bring Khan back from frozen sleep to the Wrath of Kahn overtones , it took Orci and Kurtzman over 2 years to write this movie and THIS is the best they can do ? I can do better in two weeks, I suggest for the next movie they get serious and STUDY Star Trek, not the series after TNG but TOS and the Animated series.Who agrees with me ?
A rambling rant like this would work better as a blog entry. It's certainly not a promising start for a message-board discussion.

Thread closed.

Also:
dictionary.reference.com wrote:
pro·tu·ber·ant [proh-too-ber-uhnt, -tyoo-, pruh-]
adjective
bulging out beyond the surrounding surface; protruding; projecting: protuberant eyes.
Origin:
1640–50; < Late Latin prōtūberant- (stem of prōtūberāns ), present participle of prōtūberāre to swell. See pro-1 , tuber, -ant

Related forms
pro·tu·ber·ant·ly, adverb
non·pro·tu·ber·ant, adjective
non·pro·tu·ber·ant·ly, adverb
un·pro·tu·ber·ant, adjective
un·pro·tu·ber·ant·ly, adverb
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/protuberant
A thing may be protuberant. A person may not.

dammitjim6400 wrote: View Post
No. It means bulging out..Pominent ..
On that:
dictionary.reference.com wrote:
pominent - no dictionary results
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pominent?s=t
Closed Thread