Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I only had the most marginal of interest in TASM, but, after seeing that trailer, said interest has increased dramatically. Yes, it's another origin story for the character (which I'm fine with), but, judging by what we see, it is presented in a manner that is different from what we've previously seen, at least in some respects.

I personally have no issue with Andrew Garfield playing a HS-age Peter Parker, since it's no different than what has been done in countless other movies; I also think that, with the glasses and the haircut, Garfield definitely looks like he could fit in in a HS setting (at least IMO).

Tonally, the film - at least juding by this trailer - seems to be more evocative of the more recent Harry Potter films, or even Batman Begins, which I actually think will work well because it helps set the film apart from Raimi's trilogy.

2. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

"Dark" Spider-man has been done in the comics a few times. Most notably J.M Dematteis's run on Spectacular Spider-Man, and "Kraven's last Hunt" (Also by Dematteis).

Before Raimi left (and before all that weird Vulture/Vultress talk), it was speculated by some fans that he would do an adaptation of Last Hunt but with the Lizard replacing Vermin.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved the trailer :)

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Meh. Of course, whether or not the film is any good remains to be seen. But the trailer did nothing for me -- other than make me think, "Hey, I've seen this movie before!"

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It doesn't look all that dark and gritty to me. More like more of the same. Perhaps I'll finally get around to seeing the third Raimi movie now, though.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a bad looking teaser poster. Much better than the fake one that was posted here a while ago.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. Dr. Chandra

Dr. Chandra Captain Captain

It reminded me of the first-person scenes in the doomed DOOM movie.

9. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

You know, I'm the biggest Fincher fanboy there is, I've literally studied his movies. I'm gonna' come off sounding like a pretentious prick, I know, but still. I have to ask.

How does this look like a Fincher movie, exactly?

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, same here

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think for me it resembles a Fincher movie because of the color scheme and the tone. Fincher's movies always have a rich and dense color platette and you can immediately tell it is a Fincher movie because of that.

While the color scheme in The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't resemble that to an overwhelming degree, there are similarities. For example, and I am no colorist expert, but there always seems to be a lot of grungy colors in Fincher's movies. Fight Club, for instance, which had a lot of dark, muted colors. The same can be said for pretty much every Fincher movie, including The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I almost feel like brown and dark gold are colors used consistently in Fincher's movies, and right off the bat, those are colors that populate the world of The Amazing Spider-Man.

Tone-wise, Fincher's movies are always darkly serious. There are some moments of black comedy sprinkled throughout all of his movies, most particularly Fight Club, but he always does almost drab, serious, and dark films dealing with heavy subject matter. The tone is always deftly serious, and from the onset that's the tone I get from The Amazing Spider-Man, at least from the trailer. There are some moments of levity, like when Gwen accosts Peter for snooping around, but for the most part the trailer is played very straight and very serious. To me it seems very much inspired by the works of Fincher, at least sub-consciously.

Lastly, like I've said before, the POV Spider-Man sequence at the end of the trailer looked like it could have come from the opening credit sequence of Panic Room. I'm sure The Amazing Spider-Man will have its own identity and will likely be a good balance of serious and comedic elements, and might not be as dark as the trailer suggests, but those were just the first impressions I got from watching the trailer.

12. Admiral_Young

I dunno why but I'm mesmerized by this.

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I can't stop watching the trailer.

14. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Thanks for answering that, JA. I still respectfully don't see it, though. Colour pallette's and tone don't really make a director for me, at least not Fincher.

It's hard to tell without seeing the whole movie, of course, but I don't see what I think is recognizable Fincher in that trailer. One of his most unique qualities is his obsessive compulsive attention to detail. For instance...I don't think the rain on the porch through the door when Peter's parents are leaving would make it into a Fincher movie. He's that precise, and that rain is too...unnatural. That's just one example.

I also don't see Fincher's eye for camera movement in the trailer, another one of his key sylistics flourishes. Fincher compliments movement in the frame with the movement in his camera. Not to mention Fincher's keen eye for framing. Neither of these specificities do I see in this trailer. Compare the look of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trailer to this one, and I really don't think I see any Fincher here.

Of course, I'm not saying this is a bad trailer, nor am I complaining. I think the trailer is fantastic, and it of course doesn't have to look like a Fincher movie. It should look like a Webb movie. I'm just not sure what those look like after only seeing (500) Days... But Webb is a talented director, and I look forward to seeing what does with Spider-Man after seeing this great trailer.

I'm not even sure I'd want Fincher to do a Spider-Man movie. Wolverine, however, might be a sight to see. ;)

15. Admiral_Young

16. Samurai8472

Comic book movie's coverage

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=42610

[​IMG]

17. Admiral_Young

I'm sure that the actual footage will find it's way online much like the "Thor" footage did last year. Everything that I've seen or read about this movie has me excited.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I like the descriptions of Peter being kind of snarky and sarcastic while out doing his superhero thing. That's one thing I missed in the Raimi/Maguire movies.

19. Samurai8472

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Spider Man Has always been my least favorite super hero, and the Raimi movies bored me to tears. But I have to admit, I'm actually looking forward to this one.

The cast is just so much better. (Campbell Scott is just awesome.)

At the risk of nitpicking, the only questionable thing I noticed in the trailer is Stone's hair. It's even more awful than Howard's was in Spidy III which is odd because she's naturally blonde. But it's like the one homage they had to have was the badness of Gwen's hair.

I think Stone's natural color would have been fine and looked so much better.