I liked the Borg more before the Borg Queen and Q before Voyager.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by urbandk, Mar 30, 2009.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see what you mean but the Borg pick and choose what species is worthy of assimilation & who isn't. They also decide what information, once that species is assimilated, is useful & what isn't. If left to a true collective mind, how would there ever be consensus of agreement amoung them of what is worthy and what isn't? Wouldn't it take one dominate mind to make that choice for all? The Borg would still require a mind to organize them, right?

We've seen even in "BOBW" that the Borg run on autopilot until certain command words are given. Ex: Assimilate, Regenerate, etc. If they need command words given by the Queen & function on auto-pilot, then doesn't both a dominate & collect mind exist?

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I don't know, I think we basically agree, and it's just a question of phrasing and semantics.

Maybe it's easier to think of the Queen as 'coordinator' and she's still beholden to the will of the minds? Surely they have some type of 'instantaneous democracy' that lets them decide what to do, who to assimilate, and so forth.

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you're probably right.;)

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Turn the Borg into an ideological enemy--even a temptation. A fictional analogue for communism, not a gross stereotype of it. They went the easy way from BoBW on--conceptualizing the life of a Borg as horrid in every conceivable way, a fate worse than death, to be avoided even at the extent of extinction. Turn the contest between the Federation and the Borg into a debate between possibilities for humanity--individualistic dignity at the cost of mortality and pain versus posthuman collectivism at the cost of freedom. Then you've got a concept that doesn't immediately degenerate into space zombies slowwwly advancing on you.

Also, I'd knock off the silly "they don't perceive us as a threat thing" after BoBW. They blew up your cube, idiots. They present a threat.

5. Praetor

Dude, that's brilliant and I agree. I'd expect no less from you, of course. :)

6. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Very interesting take on the whole thing, I agree. Btw, your avatar freaks me out Praetor!

I also agree with what Gotham Central said earlier - the Borg had to be unbeatable by Voyager and her crew - you could pull off a victory over the Borg by clever thinking or something once maybe twice, and have them still scary, but they should have shown episodes where they got well and truly decimated by the Borg - have them a bit like the Cylons in nuBSG's first season - they show up: it's not a case of stand and fight like good Starfleet officers, it's a case of fire everything you can while you get the hell out of there.

7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

the Borg more & the Borg Queen

Re: Borg Queen
    Anwar wrote
    I do agree.
    The collective is a large concept but to dramatize it for television (or for feature film for that matter) you have to have individual characters to deliver dialogue and make the plot happen. The borg Queen was a character to do that but then it became so much about HER and with Janeway talking TO her. Negotiating WITH her to get 7of9 back.
    The Borg do NOT negotiate. It ruins the large concept idea.

Damask wrote
    It is pretty hard to keep it in canon but could be possible.
    I would be also interested in hearing how they could be a semi-regular character in a new series.
    I would also like to see what if CGI borg would be more scary.
    A borg CGI character model WAS created for the ENT episode Regeneration when the two are forced out of the airlock. I wonder how they would hold up for CGI closeups since they are not quite human especially with the color the skin turns once they become Borg.

8. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never saw a Q episode that I didn't like, so I disagree with part B of this question.

But I heartily agree with part A. The Borg started out so creepy and ominous but they became...well, not exactly ordinary, but too much of a known quantity. Some of Voyager's earlier Borg episodes were good ones, but TPTB milked that cow for all it's worth, and I think they done milked it dry well before Voyager ended.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

I found Q amusing sometimes. His advances to Janeway made me laugh. The Borg began as scary and got scarier because the tubules allowed for easier assimilation.

10. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Q was okay with the episode VOY episode "Death Wish."

The Borg were definitely worse with the Queen. The idea of Voyager making an alliance with the Borg was far-fetched, as was the Queen's personal vendetta against Janeway. I liked Seven initially, but she kind of stole the spotlight from the rest of the crew, and the Borg kids -- that was just too far for me.

11. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Q always has some amusing moment to win me over during his appearances, but lets face it Q was never better than when he was squaring off with Jean-Luc Picard.

As for the Borg, they went from being a villan that destroyed 39 ships with just one of theirs to not being able to take down the USS Voyager. Yeah, they went wimpy to keep them in Voyager, not a great move. Scorpion was a fantastic episode well fantastic 2 episodes, Part 1 better than part 2 due to no Seven of Nine. They had their Borg episodes very well done, when Kes threw Voyager out of Borg Space, they should have actually been out of Borg Space. The fact that their Primary Unimatrix was over 10,000 light years from their territory just makes them sound stupid. Which in and of itself is stupid because the Borg are supposed to have the knowledge of thousands of worlds running through them. Nobody on any of those planets got the good idea to NOT place your Headquarters, where your Queen who, if compromised can lead to the destruction of your Entire Collective somewhere other than your most protected interior system in your own territory?

The Queen aspect was good in First Contact, Alice Krige did a great job. It's to bad they took that and decided to try to use that success to remake Voyager adding Seven, having them face off with the Borg Queen, etc. Making the Borg a regular part of the series, no. Just no.

12. Praetor

I'd argue with some of that, LeadHead. I think it was a mistake to give VGR a makeover to capitalize on the success of FC, and that it ended up cheapening the Borg to 'villain of the week.' However, I don't think this was inherently the fault of the Seven character, as much as it was the way she was handled, and, overall, the way the Borg were handled.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Wholeheartedly agree. Although what else Voyager was going to do for season after season, I have no idea. I guess you're on point that it was just an execution thing--it usually is.

I mean, in theory, even the Kazon could have been interesting...

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect you guys would like the recent trilogy of novels, Star Trek: Destiny and its follow-up, A Singular Destiny.

Destiny's essential premise: The Borg stop dicking around. They launch a full-scale invasion of the Federation with the intent of exterminating every planet in the UFP.

A Singular Destiny is set in the wake of the Borg invasion, which devastated entire worlds and drove entire species to extinction, and features a new, ideological enemy for the Federation that is not just another conquest-driven empire.

15. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

I agree with the Q but I thought Alice Krige was pretty hot and eerily seductive in her role.

16. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it is a collective, there wouldn't BE one mind to dominate. "It" would be a mind. I have 100 billion neurons. Together they make a mind, but no one neuron dominates. Trek is written for a very individualistic culture. Think of Picard saying one of his We-work-not-for-gain-but-to-develop-our-talents-and-individuality speeches. Very 70's Humanist-Maslow-Rogers derived: I for myself, maybe my family, don't think of the greater community. Most humans who have lived on earth were integral parts of communities who lived, worked, ate, died together as a band/village/community with its own life and properties. Now we much more live separate lives in separate homes pursuing separate careers. So the Borg has to be shown as evil with a dominator, as the queen evolved into, especially in the recent Destiny fiction trilogy. GR didn't see a next, collective step as a necessarily bad thing; see my previous post.

That's great! Also, when we're cramped and don't feel like we have enough PERSONAL space, it feels hot and stuffy. Reinforcing the "evil" of losing separate identity.

Odd that so many new spiritualists (Tolle foremost in the public's mind) emphasize losing or putting aside one's separateness in order to sense one's true, total, "real" being. This is close to the Borg IFF Borg had not evolved from a true collective into slaves as the shows went on. It was SO cooler in the beginning.

Again with the slave idea. My neurons are not slaves to my mind. They ARE it. She is the voice or executive function OF the mind. She is of it, not ruling it. (At least that's how she SHOULD be in a perfect world. In the recent books, she IS definitely an enslaver.)

(Does ANY cool concept in Trek ever survive unadulterated?? Mind meld, Klingons, Prime Directive, ad nauseum.)

17. Sci

I'd like to point out a few things here:

1. Destiny and its immediate predecessors, Great Than the Sum and Before Dishonor, established that when a person is assimilated, his or her mind is altered by the Borg to become a supporter of the Collective, agreeing with its goals and objectives and willingly sublimating the self to the whole -- even while a smaller, isolated part of your mind remains intact. (The mind control occurs after a horrific psychic attack on the individual mind in which all of your memories are corrupted -- your favorite uncle molested you, your first love tried to murder you -- to prevent you from being able to retreat to a safe mental place while you're being assimilated.) In other words, they did what they could to save the communalist aspect that the canon, especially under Braga, had largely disregarded, and to reconcile the apparently contradictory depictions of the Collective pre- and post-Queen creation.

2. While you may not like the idea of Queen-as-enslaver, it's important to keep in mind that that's not an idea that originated in the novels. The Queen was depicted as directly controlling the drones, and the drones as being her slaves, throughout her appearances on Star Trek: Voyager. It might have been nice if the Queen had been depicted more as an embodiment of the Collective than a controller/slave mistress, but that's how VOY, especially "Unimatrix Zero" and "Endgame," depicted her. The novels are obligated to be consistent with the canon.

3. For my money, the Big Secret about the Collective that Mack reveals goes a long way towards rehabilitating the idea of Queen-as-enslaver, giving new depth to what had been, frankly, a comic book supervillian-type paradigm on VOY.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that the Destiny tril did not invent queen-as-enslaver. It does reinforce it with the backstory of who she is/was, which I shall not "spoiler" in this space. My point was just that one of the posters seemed to be implying that a queen was necessarily an enslaver for a collective, and that need not be, as other posters have pointed out.

I kind of like the original Borg. Pursuing perfection, "helping" you attain it along with them. Sort of like the US pursuing global free trade and capitalism, and helping nations see the light and become like us. I jest. Be well!

19. Sci

Well, it didn't need to be the case before her appearances in VOY, but her depiction in those necessitates it now.

I do, too, and I always thought that the Queen undermined the scariness of the original depiction of the Collective. Destiny is really the first time since the introduction of the Queen that I found the Borg genuinely scary again

20. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Not too hard.

Have the Borg return.

But at PRECISE intervals of television series time.

For example, there were 31 episodes between Q-Who and BOBW.

Why not have the Borg appear again in force exactly 31 episodes after BOBW?

And so on and so on.

The ominous part is the "countdown" where fans know the Borg will return (and eventually the crew sees the pattern as well) and we see tension rise as we wonder just what new way the crew would come up with to defeat them this time.