Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dale Sams, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jazz

Jazz Ensign Newbie

It always seemed to me that for Riker, serving on the Federation's flagship vessel was a far bigger career move than taking his own command of a lesser known ship. The missions they were assigned to and the situations they got themselves into would have been far more adventures, while the people they met along their adventures would be the most important in the quadrant, not to mention the opportunities he could create by being associated with the flagship.

Also, maybe he was waiting for the Picard's luck (or heart) to catch up with him so he could swoop in and permanently take over command of the Enterprise.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh the "career move" would've been to take the promotion. Being second in command of the A team as opposed to captain of the B team is personal preference.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it seems clear to me that, at least by TBOBW, Riker's priorities in life had changed. The upwardly mobile career man from season one who had left Deanna behind because he saw the opportunities of advancement had given way to somebody who was more comfortable in his own boots. Multiple times over the TNG run we get the situation of Riker being in effective command of the Enterprise, and he never seems completely happy about it. Putting aside the actual circumstances of his 'promotion' in BOBW, I'm not convinced Riker really had a thirst for Captaincy by that stage.

It wasn't so much the idea of being first officer on the Enterprise being better than captain of any other ship. IMO it was more that he'd settled into a groove where he was happy, and he changed his priorities accordingly. As long as Picard still wanted him there he was happy to remain Jean-Luc's XO. Occasional moments (Shelby, Admiral Pressman, Thomas Riker) saw him get a bit introspective about exactly why he changed his priorities, but it seems obvious to me that the guy we met in season one who had a fire in his belly for command was not the same man we saw through most of the series' run.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides, given how much action the D gets, simply hanging around and waiting for Picard to be blasted ain't a bad strategy for making captain either. :p

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well he did say at the end of Generations "I always thought I'd get a shot at this chair" while standing in the charred remains of the E-D's bridge.

I do like someone else's suggestion that his real reason for staying on the Enterprise was to keep an eye on Picard after the he was captured by the Borg. They could have developed some interesting stories out of that premise.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As others have said, peoples perspectives and goals change. They might want to be in command early on but as they grow older they become happy where they are.

I don't think you need even look as far as the military to see that, business have managers (CO)and deputy managers (XO) it might be fair to say that when some of those deputy mangers started out they had aims of one day being manager, but eventually for whatever reason decided to stay in the deputy role.

Which is worth more happiness or being in charge?