So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I went with Blade of Gwynnever and yeah, so far, it's stand alone and closer in feel to the older games rather than 13 and Rise. Also enjoying it. I too was unaware of his Rocket novel, so I might have to check that out.

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

So, today I finished Last Full Measure

Thoughts on LFM:
    I don't know wether I should like this novel or not. One of the things it gets right is the characters, which it does in usual Enterprise novel tradition, way better then the on-screen material. Reed gets some interesting backstory and made a strong statement against torture and I really liked the Travis/Chang interactions, or generally the Enterprise crew/MACO interactions. As a novel it has the advantage of showing what the characters really think and not just what they say, like Archer
    being disgusted by himself for torturing Thrave to get information on the Xindi. Another aspect I liked was that Reed was sort of proven right in the end. Hadn't they tortured Thrave, they wouldn't have trapped into the Xindi's... well trap.

Then on the other hand there is the story, that I found just boring. As LFM is a tie-in released, published after the series and arc it was set in I didn't expect it to do anything to the overall plot, but additionally I found the story, especially in the first half, really weak and not interesting. Fortunatly the second half felt like it put way more emphasis on the characters.

Then there's Guitierrez, who's the first MACO that I actually liked.
    I knew through the whole funeral that Selma survived. It was so obvious! Also I really think that she and Travis should have become a couple, at one point.
    Now that I have read all Enterprise novels that are set during the series (save for Rosetta) I feel like I should do a ranking:
    1. By the Book
    2. What Price Honor?
    3. Daedalus
    4. Daedalus's Children
    5. Surak's Soul
    6. Last Full Measure
    I'm fairly confident that Rosetta will be better than Surak's Soul.
    Now I'm looking forward to Rosetta, Season 4 and the relaunch. Next to watch is Season 3.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Idran likes this.
  3. John Clark

Finished Blade, read the latest Ryanverse novel and have now moved on to the Midas book by Andy McDermott

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished re-reading Enterprise Kobayashi Maru by Andy Mangels and Micheal Martin and I also read Moon Shots a Scifi anthology about Space Exploration written by different authors . The stories are really interesting.

5. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished the Vulcan travel guide by Dayton Ward.
    I then read Alien: The Illustrated Story.
    I'm now reading Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten.

6. Jinn

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of ENT: Rosetta. While waiting Ill read some more SNW2016 stories.

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I've just finished reading Deus Ex Black Light by @James Swallow and I loved it! The writing of Jensen and Pritchard is wonderful - pitch perfect, their first conversation had me giggling because it was just like they were in the game.

James - any chance you're going to be writing more?

8. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Hey, thanks! I was part of the writing team on the games, so I worked hard to make sure the characterizations were synched up. I previously wrote Icarus Effect, which was a tie-in to the previous game and the ebook novella Fallen Angel (which is downloadable for free here). I've also written Hard Line, an ebook as part of the Mankind Divided collector's edition.

As for future Deus Ex novels... It's a possibility. I'd certainly love to write another.

9. trampledamage

Great! Thanks for the link :)

10. John Clark

Thanks for the link too:)

I've enjoyed Icarus Effect and Black Light.

11. Jinn

I have read another story from the new Strange New Worlds anthology, which I'll write something in the review thread and finally, finally, after hyping it up in three posts, got ENT: Rosetta.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rosetta Is a good story I read it again a few weeks ago and really liked it. I'm rereading Enterprise Uncertain Logic by Christopher Bennett.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up first arc of DC's New 52 The Flash series. I really enjoyed it.

14. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Finished The Fearful Summons.
    It was a natural fit for me as I love the TUC/post-TUC/pre-Lost Era period, and I love Sulu /Excelsior stories.
    A very cinematic, fast-paced plot, though I had some problems with the editing and some of the prose. The premise itself is a bit.. fan-fiction-ish with Kirk's "gathering of the geriatrics" and mission, complete with the beautiful young ST officer :) but all in all a nice read.

15. John Clark

Just about to start Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl

16. trampledamage

Good lord, I didn't realise they were publishing novels about Black Widow - I've just reserved this from the library to give it a try.

I love this thread :techman: (and the forum as a whole - love all of you! *friendly wave* :D )

Jinn and Sto-Vo-Kory like this.
  17. John Clark

Technically, they're young adult novels, but we'll see what they're like once I get in to it. (And just for information, looks like another one by the same author, Red Vengeance came out this month)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel and DC have both done YA novel focused on one of their female characters. Marvel did the Black Widow novels, and DC has two books and two short stories about a teenage Lois Lane, with a third novel on the way.

19. Jinn

I just finished Rosetta, and I loved it. Ranking-wise it is easily the best ENT novel I read so far. Next I'm going to watch the two final ENT episodes, "Demons" and "Terra Prime", and then read the relaunch.

Idran likes this.
  20. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just finished The Long Night and have moved on to Station Rage. Weird that there are similar concepts in back to back numbered novels.