DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Has a retro vibe...nice first draft. :bolian:

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Without any shading abilities in Paint, I picture the color inside of the letters to look like they're being filled in by the colorist (you can see the lines I put in their to suggest the letters being hand drawn) and maybe the hole thing but set against a shape of the Superman "S-Shield." The figure is pretty much supposed to represent "generic costumed superhero" and is just a silhouette of Superman I found in a Google Image search.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda like the second one. I don't really like the peel-away D, but the sparks and shit are a nice touch.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, depending on what you wanted to do, there are shading abilities in MS Paint. It can be a pretty powerful tool, if you know how to manipulate it.

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The logos don't look all that great. I like their old school logo better.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's always sad when an amature's peice of art is better than the one released by the professionals. The new DC logo is just to generic IMO.

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Looks like the logos were designed with movies, TV and digital comics in mind rather than the static print media. If they're meant to be animated then images won't really give a proper feel for them.

@Trekker: Not bad. Very noir.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The logos were designed with multiple ventures in mind, that doesn't mean that they're going to look any better when slabbed across those things than they do by themselves. I just think these are ugly, aren't iconic at all, and perhaps most importantly are completely unnecessary. The swoosh was fine. At least you could still tell it was a DC icon. These could be the logos to anything frankly.

Peter Tomasai talks about "Batman and Robin" and the road to "The Night of Owls". Despite my criticism of this story line I am looking forward to seeing how all of this unfolds. He has some interesting thoughts about Damian which I agree with, and after a slow start, the book has come into it's own with exploring Bruce and Damian's dynamic.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/peter-tomasi-batman-and-robin-120120.html

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those new logos suck. I'd love to be in the meeting where someone said "Yes, this it!"

I picked up The Ray, not part of the New 52, but was interesting nonetheless. It made fun of the stupid ways that superheroes get their powers. It was a fun read.

I also picked up the first issue of All Star Western. That was interesting, Jonah Hex in 1880's Gotham. Kind of cool.

Not DC, but I picked up Dark Matter, by Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie from Stargate. The first issue was pretty good, although the advertised conflict was introduced and resolved over two pages. Other than that it was ok.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All-Star Western is a great book.

11. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I just bought all the #1 issues and put them in a safe place so 100 years from now my ancestors can sell them and make money off of them.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah.... Your ancestors might be able to buy a couple of nice lunches with them, but I doubt these #1's are going to be huge collectors items down the road, at least not of any noteworthy amount. Go to a comic book store today and even the most popular back-issues will only go for a few hundred dollars.

I wouldn't expect these books to fetch that high price down the road and probably be like most back-issues of comics which usually only flirt with a couple dozen dollars.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto. Kirby I hope you were intrigued enough to search out the other current issues of All-Star Western. Really great read and it looks like he'll be hitting the road at issue #6 or 7 for New Orleans.

14. Broccoli

Did you just now buy them? Unless the store was holding them for you for the past 5 months, chances are you have mostly second or third printings. For the collector wanting to make a buck, it is first printing or bust.

That being said, these first printings are never going to be worth much at all (if anything) to begin with.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah. That was foolish. How many other thousands of copies are there? AND, as someone pointed out, you might have bought a 2nd or 3rd printing.

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

It's good that you're making plans for your ancestors in case they are raised from the dead in some sort of zombie apocalypse. It happens, everybody. Plan for their futures.

17. Broccoli

Ooooooooooooh, snap!

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I actually had a dream that involved Jonah Hex last night. Which is really strange, because I have never read a comic with Jonah Hex in it, did not see the Jonah Hex movie, never cared about Jonah Hex in any particular fashion, and don't even really like the western as a genre.

Apparently my unconscious mind disagrees.

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(Flash forward to 100 years from now...)

Kid says, "What are these, Dad?"

Dad says, "I believe people used those to clean up in the bathroom; they didn't use the three shells like we do."

20. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read the first few issues of Swamp Thing, Animal Man, two of the Batmen titles (Detective and Dark Knight), Hawkman and I read the first issue of Action Comics.

I thought this new 52 thing was supposed to make things simpler and streamline everything, starting new and fresh?

To me, it seems even more convoluted, keeping SOME of the history (most of which I'm not too familiar with for some of these anyways) and alluding to that without really explaining anything. For Animal Man, it's not too bad, things are easy enough to piece together, but Swamp Things feels overly complicated by it.

I'm going to keep reading, I'm finding the story overall interesting, but it would have been just as well to just say "new creative team, new direction" #1 (basically, and I don't like comparing the two, but a Marvel-style reboot) with it than to try and overly complicate it with this gimmicky mess (I say mess only from a creative stand-point, the marketing was obviously done really and well and helped the industry as a whole quite a bit!)

And I'm not caring for Action at all, so I dropped that pretty fast. Was undecided on Hawkman, but with Liefeld taking over, that makes dropping that one so much easier.

Oddly, the title I enjoy the most is one I read a lot of the complaints about, Batman: The Dark Knight. It seems to not worry about history, to be just doing its own thing and having fun with it, plus I admit to having a bias towards Finch stuff (he's local).