Star Wars Radio Dramas Humble Bundle

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Adventure, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a good deal here guys. Spend $15 and help out a charity and help yourself to all three original radio dramas and get Dark Empire, Tales of the Jedi and more. Or get just Star Wars for a buck I suppose.

192/44khz quality DRM-free mp3

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Thanks for the tip! What a great deal!

3. Captain Worf

Captain Worf Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very cool to have all of these productions in one place in MP3. Just out of curiosity, was the story told in Tales of the Jedi and Dark Lords of the Sith ever concluded? I know Ulic's demise was mentioned in the Darksaber novel but I wasn't sure if it ever got its own story.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I already own the NPR plays and in fact just listened to the RotJ play last weekend. Are the "Dark Empire" and "Tales of the Jedi" plays worth listening to? Is "Empire's End" included in this? I once bought a full cast audio play written by the NPR play's writer Brian Daley called "Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell" which I have never seen made available since. Is anyone else familiar with this?

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I have the record for Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell someplace.

6. Mr. Adventure

I'm not very familiar with the newer Star Wars audio books but it's typical of these Humble Bundle packages like this one that has a "more audiobooks coming" to reveal that the bonus books fill the gap. Like if the bundle has two out of three books it's common for the bonus books to have the other book when revealed later. Either way, don't forget to check back later for the bonus books if you get this.

7. Captain Worf

I loved the "Dark Empire" and "Tales of the Jedi" plays when I was a kid, so I would say yes. "Empire's End" is not included. I found it on Youtube last night and couldn't believe how cheesy it sounded. I guess they really rushed to throw together an ending to the saga.

Does "Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell" have the voice actors from the NPR series?

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^No, RMtOM has a different cast. BTW, thanks for giving me the idea to look for it on YouTube. I'm listening to it right now.

9. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

The Dark Empire CD Collection I had included Dark Empire, Dark Empire II and Empire's End.

Sometimes the voice acting was pretty good, other times, you could tell it sounded like they were reading lines. The audio plays went into more detail than the comics.

Also, apparently at the time, Lucas had not come up with the pronunciation of Corsucant as we know it today. At that time, I guess it was left up to the voice actors....so they agreed on the pronunciation Cor-us-cant.

There's at least one time where you hear the voice actress who played Leia in the DE trilogy speak an audio direction cue. I found that laughable.

Still, it's a fairly entertaining audio play to listen to. Sometimes I'll play it (the DE trilogy) as background noise in my sleep.

10. Captain Worf

Does the version of "Empire's End" that you have begin with the SW theme music? The version I found on YouTube doesn't and is just over an hour long , which makes it seem really haphazardly assembled. The first Dark Empire was great though.

I had most of the EU audiobooks as a kid which were narrated by Anthony Heild and he always pronounced it Cor-us-cant. So when Episode I came out the new pronunciation seemed odd.

I like both of the voice actresses who portrayed Leia in the radio dramas and dark empire series more than Carrie Fisher. Both are named Ann, coincidentally. Ann Sachs from the NPR series sounds prettier while Ann Patriccio from the DE plays sounds stronger. In the DE trilogy Leia seems comparable to Luke in force ability while in the other EU novels she was portrayed as never having developed her Jedi skills much due to focusing on her political career.

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Cor-us-cant" is how you pronounce the actual word "coruscant"!

The NPR adaptations are amazingly good, while most of the HighBridge audio stuff is astoundingly bad. When the only trilogy actor you can convince to show up is Billy Dee Williams, you know you've got problems.

Anyway, I've listened to all these through, ah, methods, so I will assuage my conscience by buying legit versions.

12. martok2112

No, it doesn't open with the theme music, or even an opening crawl/monologue. The narrator simply says "Part Three: Empire's End" and then it just goes into the story. :)

Oh, indeed, I loved Sach's and Pattricio's performances as Leia in their respective plays. They both did really good jobs portraying our favorite space princess.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I chalk that up to the fact that Dark Empire was developed independently of the novels, and the novels that are set after it (beginning with KJA's Jedi Academy trilogy) were developed possibly before even Veitch knew how he intended to conclude the Dark Empire trilogy. As a consequence, I never looked at Heir to the Empire->Dark Empire->Jedi Academy as any sort of straight line or continuity. Rather, I thought of something like the events of the Dark Empire trilogy as taking place in the novel continuity rather than the exact events, which is totally counter to how Star Wars canon was understood prior to last year, but it was how it worked in my head.

14. Admiral James Kirk

It was concluded in the comic story "The Sith War" which was never adapted into an audio drama unfortunately.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I still have the original trilogy radio adaptations of cassette tape. They are great, particularly the first two.

16. martok2112

Indeed. Brian Daley did a great job with expanding on all three movies...especially A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

I was saddened to learn of his death at the time Return of the Jedi's audio play was released.

17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Would have been good if he was able to expand ROTJ to same extent he had the previous two

Has anyone come acrosos informtion to indicate how much of the extra material in the first two adaption came from Lucas and how much was purely Daley?

Though cut scenes and the extended editions have explained some of them (the drioid going door to door trying to hide from the storm troopers, the confrontation in Docking Bay 94).

18. Admiral James Kirk

From what I understand he was pretty hands off once he sold the rights to KUSC. Daley was asked to not use Jabba but I know of no other directives beyond that.

19. Mr. Adventure

The bonus books have been revealed to be Dark Empire II and Crimson Empire.

20. AnarchoWookiee

AnarchoWookiee Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Gutted that I could only afford the first two.. but it's better than nothing