20 most Cringeworthy Scenes in the New Trek films???

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But isn't that why Pike lured Kirk to Starfleet to begin with? Because they lacked something? Besides, sitting behind a desk reciting policy is different from being in the field actually having to actually enact that policy.

Does Pike really know how he would've reacted in such a situation? Has he watched species die while he sat in the captain's chair with the means to save them at hand?

I still think Pike was the most upset about Kirk falsifying reports.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Aka essentially being tried in absentia (largely because they didn't even bother to inform him) by near as I can tell a secret tribunal (since Kirk and Spock didn't find out about it much less the punishment until later) where the one Admiral that would likely speak on his behalf wasn't allowed in the meeting meaning that Kirk was tried and convicted without his knowledge or being able to defend himself.

So yeah, not exactly likening the Starfleet justice code boiling down to a bunch of Admirals (or at least just Admiral Marcus) can basically pretty much unilaterally punish any officer for whatever however the feel like.

Considering that the guy over seeing this is the same guy who sentenced Khan and his followers to death by photon torpedo barrage (which also risked war with the Klingons) I'm still not seeing this as a good thing.

Honestly the more I think about it this movie the more the trying to show that Kirk isn't ready to be captain falls apart.

His big mistakes seem to boil down to saving an entire planet, saving Spock, not letting a terrorist escape justice, not torpedoing said terrorist and this not falling for Marcus' trap, and getting his ship shot up in a battle where he is out matched.

How the f@$k exactly would a more experienced captain avoid any of that I ask you?

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Couldn't really say, but the way the scene is written and acted I feel like we're supposed to see Pike as a seasoned field officer who's speaking from direct experience of comparable situations.

4. BillJ

He would have allowed the Nibiru to die and executed Khan from long range! That's what Picard/Sisko/Janeway would've done!

At the end of the day, Kirk did falsify his reports to Starfleet. Which I imagine is a big no-no.

5. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Agreed. I have never been that impressed by the Prime Directive. I understand its origins and intentions (except for that Social Darwinism business!), but personally I prefer a bit more "No man is an island", sensibly employed of course.

And no, it doesn't appear the PD is that scientific in any form. It seems more like a woolly if well intentioned idea. Obviously the PD can't actually be the scientific method, and given it got worse after TOS, it doesn't seem much influenced by it either (depending on their goals I suppose).

This video seems to have pretty good handle on the PD and its later issues.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Prime Kirk would do that from time to time

7. BillJ

No doubt about it.

This, I think, would be considered a personal opinion on his part. He believes they gave their lives in performance of their duties. I doubt that would be held against him.

Kirk would have to have the cooperation of Spock and McCoy to make the above happen. He would have to explain why they no longer had Commissioner Hedford aboard, what they did with her body and where they had been for several days.

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I always wondered whether Kirk actually could have kept that promise to Cochrane.

9. BillJ

Probably wouldn't be too hard as long as no one went looking for Hedford's body. :lol:

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

There's a crossover TOS TNG novel written about the fate of Cochrane and Hedford.

If Hedford had 'died'and she did they would have had to bury her body on the planet. I'm not sure they had the facilities to carry a corpse in the shuttle so no extra explanation was probably required. I think Kirk could honestly say that Hedford had died and they had left her on the planet (which had a dangerous anomaly near it - now gone).

Sounds like Hedford didn't have any family who would really investigate

11. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I guess you think US foreign policy is super noble?

12. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it is human nature to criticise someone's initial plan, even after you've approved of it initially but the implementation went wrong for whatever reason. "You crashed your car?!? You shouldn't have been taking two seaside vacations in the same year in the first place!" "You dropped the ice cream on your shirt? I told you too much ice cream is bad for you!"

I do it, my colleagues do it at work, my friends and family do it, it is done in fiction, I am sure I've overheard policemen do it. It's silly and annoying, but it happens. I don't think Pike is immune.

I think there should be an official way to handle such situations. Even the TNG crew didn't hesitate to hide the world in Clues, so it didn't strike me as something that was unacceptable. There wasn't a ready room meeting where people were insisting the rules say they must report everything.

Not to mention all officers told to follow the Temporal Prime Directive.

13. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

(self-redacted: Joke might exceed flight ceiling and disrupt U.S./Canadian relations).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  14. BillJ

What I think of US foreign policy has zero to do with this discussion. This discussion is about Star Trek.

15. BillJ

Federation was a great book, I've read it multiple times. :techman:

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not in here, please. There are other forums much more suitable for discussion of that topic.

17. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

20. Lens Flare From Star Trek And Star Trek Into Darkness - I agree that the lens flare was bad

19. Young Kirk’s Car Heist From Star Trek - stealing a vehicle and running away was ok, having it be an old corvette with a future nokia cell phone playing 20th century music made it lame

18. The Kobayashi Maru Test From Star Trek - overall I liked seeing him beat it, but he was a little too cocky during it

14. Chekov’s Accent (Again) From Star Trek - disagree, it fits with TOS and the movies

9. Kirk’s Inappropriate Interest In His Bridge Officers’ Love Lives From Star Trek Into Darkness - I seem to remember Kirk trying to stay out of the Spock Uhura thing in into darkness. If anything as captain he needed to have an interest in it since it could result in discipline and other issues

7. Carol Marcus Fan Service From Star Trek Into Darkness - sort of agree, totally agree if they mean the clothes changing scene, sure she looked good but this is the internet age where anyone with 2 brain cells can look at naked people all day long after a 5 second searh

18. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

it being red never got me, what got me was that it's supposedly hard to get/make which is part of why spock was late getting it to romulus, and only a drop is needed to make a black hole, yet the jellyfish has gallons of it

19. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Kirk would've been in it deep.

I know it's not Starfleet, but I bet military regulations wouldn't change much in two hundred years in this regard.

He got off very easy.

20. Hypaspist

Hypaspist Commander Red Shirt

The forced jokes are actually funny and not terrible like in some of the older movies, especially TNG films. I only hope they have Kirk act more like a responsible commander in the next one. As much as I like the original movies, it has been almost 50 years since we have seen a Kirk who is more serious than he is quirky.

The only thing that completely irritated me was the overall story of Into Darkness. There wasn't a single moment that was outright terrible. I don't understand why, after successfully rebooting the series so well, they went over old ground. The last time they copied Khan was Nemesis, and it seems to be the lowest regarded of all the movies (and the only TNG movie I hated).