If Star Trek Into Darkness was based on the loss of Vulcan...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Jul 1, 2014.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish there were more novels being done in the AU. I wonder if the marketing and publishing writes are a factor.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Apparently, Bad Robot is blocking them for the time being.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The movie was based on the loss of Vulcan, which I'd think would be obvious to at least American viewers.

4. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

you +1`d lens flares. that`s production values.

Not caring for his writing is fair though.

My comments were in regards to his show running ability, and proficiency in managing a writing team though. Roddenberry was good at it, and I think he mentored Moore well. I don`t think Berman & Braga learned how to do it.

5. BillJ

That was a pretty good trick by Roddenberry since he wasn't hands on with the show by the time Ron Moore arrived.

6. BillJ

I did the '+1' for lens flares vs. shaky cam. Both production values.

7. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Guess we`ll have to agree to disagree.

I have my opinion. You`re entitled to your opinion. I like Moore and think the reboot sucks.

8. BillJ

World would be a really dull place if everyone agreed on everything. :techman:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It'd be like TNG.

10. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I think it`d be more interesting with real discussion, sans playing the devils advocate and backhanded rhetoric. :techman:

11. BillJ

Zing! :lol:

This isn't debate club though. This is a bunch of people shooting the shit about movies. No one is going to come in with an Earth-shattering revelation that is going to cause everyone on one side of the fence to change their minds.

I like Star Trek (2009) and love Star Trek Into Darkness. I'm pretty sure I've watched a bit of STID every time it has been on EPIX, even if only for a few minutes. I'll repeat here what I've repeated elsewhere, Star Trek Into Darkness is the most fun I've had with Star Trek since The Undiscovered Country in 1991. It doesn't mean that it is without flaws, but it is a damn engaging watch.

I go to movies to be entertained and have a good time. When I went and saw Star Trek Into Darkness, I was entertained and had a good time.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Berman probably spent more time with Moore than Roddenberry ever did. Braga was Moore's writing partner.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And Piller was in charge of the writing team(s).

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I've heard Abrams reasons for that, but it doesn't mean I don't wish there would be more novels.

One reason why I like TrekBBS is because there is more discussion of Abrams Trek and the possibilities. It is enjoyable mental exercise.

15. xavier

xavier Commander

I agree as well, all we get is the comics. they have even stooped the YA Star Fleet Academy Novels. I will like to see more of Abrams Trek, I love Abrams trek regardless of the fact that I did not like Into Darkness much. I think what makes me love Abrams trek is the way the actors just fit into the roles.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana,Karl Urban , John Cho and the rest of the cast are just a joy to watch. I wish they had a mini series as well.:)

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved how everything in ID stemmed from the '09 movie. Section 31's secret base is under the USS Kelvin Memorial Library. Khan is found earlier than in Prime as a result of fleet actions post-Vulcan.

I think the plight of the Vulcans post-ST'09 would be best explored in a novel. Shame there aren't any set in the new movie era.

17. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yup, we don't want to waste any screen time on any unnecessary emotional stuff relating to the nearly total annihilation of one of Star Trek's most famous races when it takes time away from all the "kewl" space Pew Pew and esplosions.

In what universe is STD an original story? It is at least a partial remake because it remakes one of TWOK's most memorable scenes, except for the characters roles reversed.

Khan is out for Revenge, again (although Khan's revenge isn't against Kirk personally, so that's something I guess) but all Star Trek movies in the past couple decades are about revenge.

Kirk and Khan face off in ship to ship combat, except, instead of Khan being in a smaller Starfleet ship, he has a Big Black Evil Ship just like the last 4 Trek movies.

I could go on but I don't care enough anymore. I will reiterate what I said after I saw Into Darkness though. It's like the writers took the scripts for TWOK, TUC and the DS9 episodes Home Front and Paradise Lost, sprinkled in some Section 31 references, put it all in a blender and poured the resulting goop on screen.

As for your Batman, Dark Knight comparison, that's not quite right. Having the Joker in both Tim Burton's Batman and The Dark Knight does not make The Dark Knight a remake of the 80's Batman, that's true. The same way TWOK was not a remake of Space Seed, simply because they both had Khan in it. However, if the Batman comics that were used in the script for The Dark Knight (specifically, The Killing Joke, The Man who Laughs and The Long Halloween) had been made into movies prior to 2008, then one could say that The Dark Knight was a remake of those hypothetical movies. The same way Into Darkness was a remake of TWOK, since it lifts scenes and lines of dialogue directly from the earlier (some would say superior) work.

Well, the NuTrek toys, video game, and the few books that have been released didn't exactly fly off the shelf. So that's probably why Bad Robot isn't bothering with releasing much merchandise.

There's also the possibility that the target audience for the JJ Trek movies aren't too keen on the whole "reading" thing.

Ron Moore joined the writing staff in season 3, Roddenberry was still "hands on" until he became too sick to be in season 5.

Michael Pillar was Head Writer from season 3 onwards. But by all accounts he was a rather stern disciplinarian type figure. Jerry Taylor was more of a mentor to the young writers like Moore, than anyone. Rick Berman was really just a liaison between the studio and the production, who helped smooth out the problems they had in season 1. He stepped into Roddenberry's job as Roddenberry started to fall ill.

Not that it matters really. Manny people feel that Ron Moore was one of the best writers Star Trek had. Some think he is one of the worst (most of whom seem to post regularly on the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum). Some think Ron Moore's departure from Star Trek started Star Trek's decline. Some think Star Trek's decline started when TMP came out. Others when TWOK came out. Then TSFS, TVH, TFF, etc... Some think with the premiere of each spinoff series. Others think that Star Trek declined due to "Franchise Fatigue" and over saturation.

Then there are those who think it was because of the beginning of digital cable and the end of first run syndication shows. Terrible creative decisions by UPN on Voyager and Enterprise. And tired, cliché ridden, formulaic scripts for the movies. Trying to appeal to a mass audience, while alienating the core fans. Thinking the audience is stupid. Making movies for the lowest common denominator. But having too small of a budget to make up for the writing shortcomings. All of which still applies to the last two movies, except for the budget thing, obviously. That's, partly, what I think caused Star Trek's downfall.

In the end though, who cares? Over thirty years later Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is widely regarded as the best Star Trek movie ever. It is still referenced in pop culture, and even people who have never seen a Star Trek movie (not even the JJ ones) know of at least parts of TWOK. Compare that with Into Darkness which is only one year old and has already been largely forgotten. Except for a few of us Star Trek nerds still debating it's merits on a Star Trek discussion board.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  18. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

Of course, I am a little disappointed there wasn't a TV series to go with it and explore it in ways that unfortunately won't sell a film.

A society learning the news of Vulcan's destruction and coming in terms with the fact they barely escaped their destruction. After a relapse of the xenophobia after the Xindi incident, the attacks on aliens across all the Federation planets increase. People of suspected Romulan descent become the common target, but all outworlders feel less welcome. Isolated incidents of attacks on humans on Andoria sparkle a movement for Earth to leave the Federation. Adding insult to injury, many people go the way of Lieutenant Stiles of Balance of Terror, and direct their hatred of Romulans towards the few Vulcans surviving.

Ultimately, all the negative emotions get focused on the Klingons and contribute to the straining of the tensions with the empire. It all culminates with anti-Klingon sentiments finding themselves among the highest positions in Starfleet in the face of a few Admiral Marcuses.

19. BillJ

Glad you understand. Plus, it's 'explosions'.

Three minutes in a two-plus hour film doesn't in any way, shape or form constitute a remake.

So space combat is only good if the bad guy has a smaller ship? Huh?

Bad Robot didn't want novelists stepping on their toes.

Easy way to know that when one has no real argument, is when they roll out the insults.

You just answered your own statement here in regards to Ron Moore. He was working for Michael Piller. By all accounts, Roddenberry had very little to do with the show starting in season three.

Star Trek's ratings began declining with Deep Space Nine.

It is remembered by Trek fans and comedians that make fun of Shatner.

Post proof or retract.

Or: Do you really think non-Trek fans stand around the water cooler talking about a thirty-plus year old sci-fi movie? Of course not.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So people start turning on their allies of the last century becuase a known enemy attacks them? :wtf:

That would kind of make sense.

While that is stupid.

As is that.

So federation people go from racist to everyone despite that not making sense and being idiotic to being racist against Klingons becuase of the actions of Romulans? :wtf: