Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie has my money because it's Spider-Man but there are still plenty of elements that I remain unconvinced about.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Even if Sony messes up the marketing and makes the general audience confused

"I thought Tobey was in this?"

the Spider-man name alone will still make this movie a box office smash.

It's Spider-man for gosh sakes.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I've advocated giving this a chance, I agree the marketing campaign and the slogans used for this movie are going to make fans eyes roll a bit. I think this is the first poster that I actually don't like from the film so far.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, just like the Batman name alone made B&R a smash...and the Superman name alone made the Bryan Singer movie a smash...and the Green Lantern name alone made that movie a smash...:rolleyes:

5. Admiral_Young

I'm actually concerned about the box office for this film. It only has two weeks to dominate before "The Dark Knight Rises" knocks it off. It will most likely own the July long weekend. The following weekend as well but will falter to "The Dark Knight Rises". I can see it in the top three after that for a couple more weeks.

6. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not concerned :cool:. The sooner Spider-Man fails for Sony and falls back into Marvel Studio's clutches, the better.

7. Admiral_Young

You realize that it is probably going to cost around a billion or so dollars (maybe not that high but it is going to be very costly) for Disney/Marvel to regain the character rights? If this one under performs, Sony will merely wait another year or two and reboot it with a different director and writer and keep doing this so that Marvel is denied a chance at buying it back.

8. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Actually, they don't need to buy it back. The rights would revert back to Marvel automatically if Sony wasn't using them for a couple of years. But yeah, they'd probably try to produce at least one more reboot before they'd let that happen.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it's the same.

Certainly Spider-man has a lot more recognition than Green Lantern.

Batman and Robin opened quite well and made money but didn't pick up repeat viewings because of the awful reviews and word of mouth.

And Superman Returns also made money, but had a huge budget because the costs of all the abortive Superman projects over the previous decade were tied round its neck. It also went up against X-Men: The Last Stand and Pirates of The Carribean and was badly promoted and marketed.

The three Spider-man movies to date have been huge hits and are still relatively fresh within people's memories. Spider-man 3 isn't greatly rated but I don't think the general public hates it as much as a section of fandom does (and it was the most successful of the 3 at the box office), certainly not to Batman and Robin depths.

10. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's why it has to fail spectacularly. :drool:

But really, if Sony keeps the rights forever, it serves Marvel right for signing such a stupid deal in the first place.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Nice. And no silly tagline either.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That's not an official poster.

1. Marvel Studios isn't involved with this movie... at all.

2. Sony/Columbia's logo is nowhere to be found here is a dead giveaway.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Marvel was pretty much sinking, they HAD to sign over the rights.

15. Admiral_Young

They were in Chapter Eleven at the time they sold all their character rights. I didn't know that Marvel doesn't have to buy it back, that they just have to wait, then yeah Sony would definitely try again.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And -I believe- Sony doesn't even have to release a movie just "make" one. This is what brought us that crappy, un-released, Fantastic Four movie in 1994) It was only done so that the studio could retain the rights to make a movie so they just threw something together, never intending to release it.

I suspect Sony has something similar with Spider-man and X-Men where so-long as they "do something" with the property they keep the rights. Even if they don't try or even release it.

Given how strong Marvel is right now they would be wise to try and to get the rights back but I suspect Sony won't give them up cheaply or easily. Really, that contract was desperately and hastily written without any consideration to Marvel getting control back of pretty much their own property.

17. Admiral_Young

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I like those. I could see the first one hanging on my wall.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are cool. I wasn't sure what I thought of the new suit at first, but it's growing on me. I just hope I can find someone to go with me when this comes out.

20. Admiral_Young

I would buy the second one. The first one is pretty cool as well.