Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello Shanndee. Welcome to trekbbs. DS9 is tied with TOS for my favourite series.

2. Retroneon

Retroneon Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Greetings, Star Trek enthusiasts!

There's an introduction topic in the Lounge too. But seeing the same topic in General Discussion, will this become the new main one?

My screen name is Retroneon. When I was little, my family bought a new TV. The first thing that I saw when it was turned on, was the Enterprise-D zooming across the screen! It may not have been the first media I was exposed to, but I certainly remember it as such. The rest is history. I've been an avid fan, in the many ways you have experienced it, since.

The hard work and dedication of the people who create the franchise, and the lives it has touched, fills me with great optimism and energy for the future. It led me to pursue an industrial design degree. And having recently graduated, I hope to one day make a positive impact.

I've only been to a Star Trek convention back in the '90s. The ST cons tended to move away from the Midwest afterwards. But I do see the actors appear at other general conventions.

I hope to perhaps make local friends wherever I'm currently at, just chill and gush about whatever our interests are. I'm also on the RPF.

To wrap this up, a convention is not very conductive to having discussions with people. And while message boards can become quite heated, it is where fans now come to share their thoughts. I've visited Trek BBS for many years, and won't be making newbie posts. So hopefully you can be entertained by fresh ideas.

3. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for making me feel old. Oh, and welcome!

4. kirsten187

Hello Retroneon :)

5. DoctorJones

DoctorJones Ensign Newbie

Hey everyone!
    Been meaning to join a Star Trek forum for a while, so here I am.

I'm afraid I'm new to the whole franchise, having seen only one film and having finished only one series (TOS). I shall continue, without a doubt.

Huge Stargate fan as well. Love it as much as I love trek.

Oh, and my profile name is in reference to Indiana Jones. Just to clarify :P

6. kirsten187

Hello DoctorJones :) Welcome to the forums.

7. DoctorJones

DoctorJones Ensign Newbie

Thank you :)
    After looking around, I must say these forums look pretty awesome compared to the Star Trek Facebook page and the StarTrek.com boards. Far too much hate and criticism on those two websites.

8. OrionKahless

OrionKahless Ensign Newbie

Hey, none of this Klingon discrimination! :P

My Earth name is Steph and i'm from England and grew up watching the Next Generation practically every day (my mum has had an obsession with Patrick Stewart since before i was born). It became a part of me and have always loved anything Star Trek!

My favourite series is The Next Gernation of course, Klingons are my favourite race. I find it too hard to choose a favourite character, but favourite captain? Jean-Luc Picard every time.

I'm rubbish at inroducing myself and what not!

So Hello Everyone!!

9. kirsten187

Hello OrionKahless :)

10. pfr_77

pfr_77 Cadet Newbie

ahi there

I'm really not all THAT much a Trek fan. In my youth I recall seeing a few episodes of TOS of TNG from time to time. I saw First Contact in theaters with my uncle and my father when I was, like, seven years old hah... I never really got into it, though; I was a Star Wars Kid :<

Lately, though, I've been trying to get into it. I've watched about half of the first season of TOS, the first 6 or so of TNG (which I've liked a little bit more) and the fist episode of DS9. Other than the shows not really "clicking" for me, I watched the first four films over the past few days and enjoyed them a lot. Yes, even The Motion Picture (of which I saw the Director's Cut). So that has made me want to get more into it... and with these series having recently hit netflix, well, that's all the more reason to! I've always felt like it was something I should be into but just slipped past me when I was younger

11. kirsten187

Hello pfr_77. Welcome to the forums :)

12. cblmc1296

cblmc1296 Commander Red Shirt

Hello everyone!

I've occasionally lurked here but just joined last night. I have been a die hard fan since the late 60's (when TOS got moved to Fridays at 10:00 PM I couldn't watch 'cause it was past my bed time!).

TOS, TNG, and the films are what I've focused on the most although I don't dislike DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise.

I recently started a blog specifically to write about Star Trek, Trek fandom, and so forth. It's been my experience that it's generally a no no to post links on discussion boards - so I won't do that. But I will point out that I plan on blogging from Creation Star Trek 2011 in Las Vegas. So, if anyone is interested shoot me a message.

Nice to "meet" all of you! LLAP

13. MagGu

MagGu Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey everyone! I'm Maggie. I just joined the other day!

My mom loved TNG. She loooooooooooooooved Picard. I would watch the reruns with her everyday after school. I only got to see a little of DS9 back then, because it was just getting over when I got home from school everyday, but on my many sick days I got to watch it. (I don't think we got the channel the new episodes were on...same with VOY)

I wasn't able to watch all of DS9 or any of Voyager until about 2006-07 when I netflixed every disc of every season of both shows and fell completely in love with all things Trek. Until then I didn't consider myself a "trekkie" ... I just watched TNG when I was a kid, but didn't think that much of it. Now I'm a definite Trekkie, reading the books and everything. I'm also trying to get my sister on board. She's very wary of the term Trekkie, but so far she's LOVING DS9 (I'm netflixing it for her, and she's in season 5...where it really heats up, imo!) and I showed her the first ep of VOY last night, and she's interested in continuing! Now if only she'll realize that being a trekkie isn't a bad thing, and just go with it!

OK, I rambled! But I'm glad to be a part of these forums now! I love all the discussions I'm reading! This is great! :D

14. cblmc1296

Hi MagGu. Nice to see another newbie like me so soon. :-)

15. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Hello. I'm new here.
    I'm mainly known as a Doctor Who fan artist, but I thought I'd come hang out over here for a while.
    Now, just 99 more posts until I'm allowed to post pictures (!?).

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi.
    I've been a trekkie for years. Star Trek is my favorite Sci-Fi series. My Dad likes Star Trek (although not as much as I do) and thats how I started to watch it. I like all the series (even Voyager and Enterprise, which don't seem to get a lot of love from fans). DS9 and TNG are tied for my favorite series, followed by VOY, TOS, and ENT. I love the books too.

As for non Star Trek Sci-Fi stuff, I also really like Firefly, Stargate SG-1, and Star Wars (I like the Star Wars expanded universe, like books, more than the movies themselves).

I was looking around for a Star Trek forum, since I'm really the only one I know who likes to talk about Star Trek, and I found this one. It looks cool, and I'm glad I found it.

17. cblmc1296

Welcome Kirk55555! I am a relative newb to the boards too. In fact, I won't even be able to have an avatar until tomorrow. Nevertheless, I've already had some very interesting interactions here. A great place to "meet" like minded folks. Enjoy!

\\//_ LLAP

18. The 13th Doctor

The 13th Doctor Cadet Newbie

Hi there,

Just wanna say hi to you all. Love the Trek and first got into it with the movies, with Wrath of Khan my favourite. Out of the series gotta say that TNG is my favourite.

Also a big fan of Sci-Fi and Fantasy: love Dr Who, the Wars and LOTR. Also love reading the books by Terry Brooks and George R R Martin.

To close I just wanna wish you all well and see you around,

TTD

19. KHAAAN

KHAAAN Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello - newbie here. :)

I just thought I'd join because I like Star Trek and this is the place to discuss it. I'm mainly a TOS fan, and the movies. I like TNG - watched DS9 and Voyager but never really took them to my heart the same way. Thought Enterprise was alright, but before S4 it wasn't proper Star Trek imho. And then it ended.

So yes. Hopefully I'll be around here a bit expressing dodgy opinions like the above. ;)

20. cblmc1296

^^^
    ^^^Hello to both of you!