Need advice on how to try out a drug....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by royalfan5, Mar 3, 2013.

1. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I fly I have a very bad time. This has led to me being prescribed Ativan. I have been told just to try it out before I fly to make sure there are no issues. So I am trying to figure out the best why to try it out. Because I feel like I shouldn't just take one at home and watch basketball to test it out. If I am going to be taking this around people, should I just go over to some Friends and hang out to gauge the effects? How hard does the stuff hit? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Seems to be pretty heavy stuff from what I can tell from wikipedia. I wouldn't take it too often without a good reason if I were you.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

You're worrying too much. Ativan will fix that. :)

Seriously, they tell you to try it because it can make you drowsy. They just prescribed it to you to help you relax. Take it in the evening a few hours before you go to bed and when you have no plans to drive, and see how it effects you.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Ativan is a very potent benzodiazepine, and it's frequently used to assist in detoxing alcoholics and getting them through withdrawal. So ... it can have a pretty strong effect. I wouldn't recommend using it for the first time in any situation where you would need to travel somewhere or need to operate a vehicle, anything like that.

5. thestrangequark

I'm not trying to advocate lack of caution or anything, but popping an Ativan before a flight isn't that big a deal (so long as you're not the pilot)...

6. Timby

I was referring more to popping one and then heading out somewhere, not the flight. :)

7. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where ever I try it, I wasn't planning on operating any machinery, but since I would have to interact with people while flying, I feel like I should test that part out as well if I can.

8. thestrangequark

^Really, all it does is chill you out. Unless you're taking a dozen of them, it's not going to make you act weird or alter your perceptions or anything like that.

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My husband's a pharmacist. He says to take 1/2 while at home. Do NOT drive. This will let you judge the effect before you fly.

10. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to suggest taking half as well. It depends on what you know about your own body. Medication strongly affects me, I don't even like taking a Tylenol because of the side effects, so I always cut pills into smaller portions when trying something new. I remember trying Vicodin for the first time with half a pill and then throwing up several times.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

There are different doses of Ativan, IIRC, so he might not have a heavy dose that he needs to half it. You should follow the doctor's instructions first and foremost. If he/she didn't say anything about halving it then don't do that. Test it on a night you have nothing to do to make sure it doesn't give you any weird side effects and that's all you need.

12. thestrangequark

Well I just took an ambien and three glasses of red wine -- not a usuall thing for me. Been a few years actually, but the man was bringin' me down today -- anyway, and the sweet that is sweeter than sweet baby jesus' sweet tears is sweet. SO take this as either precaution or reafuckingsurance that your're gonna be just fine on a little pop of the benz!

I'm a happy drunk. I love you wall.

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^OMG! One Ambien, all by itself, and I start hallucinating.

14. Timby

I want to frame this.

15. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd let you on a plane.

16. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ativan has never done much for me. But it all depends on the dosage take some in the evening and see how you feel

17. thestrangequark

I had only half of one left -- and I was having my semiannual breakdown, so I needed to supplement it with vino. It worked out, I'm feeling so much better today! :D
    Heh...you should see what happened on Facebook...

18. Timby

You can't say something like that and not provide some evidence.

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I like the part where you told the wall that you love it.

20. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

If sickness is your problem, ever tried eating peanut butter?