Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, May 15, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-federation-the-first-150-years

This seems interesting.

2. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Nearly $100 bucks list price?!

Urk.

Uhh, no.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

$59.99 if you order now !

I'll get it next year when it's remaindered...

:)

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

There have been similar books published for Star Wars over the past couple years (The Jedi Path and The Book of the Sith), framed as in-universe texts with paraphernalia. They were later released sans accoutrements, and eventually in paperback, I think.

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Reading the description KingDaniel included, my first thought was of those, actually. I guess if it worked there it might work for Trek too.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were similar books published for Star Trek in the 90s -- Federation Passport, framed as an actual passport issued to UFP citizens, comes to mind.

ETA:

I don't really expect it to, but I do hope that Federation: The First 150 Years is consistent with what the novels have established about how the Federation functions, particularly TNG: A Time for War, A Time for Peace and Articles of the Federation.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Federation Passport is an in-universe document, but then, so are many Trek works-- I was more thinking of the fact that the book incorporates so many "artifacts" of various sorts. The Book of the Sith includes a severed braid of a Padawan's hair!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds cool, but I don't have the kind of disposable income to spend $60.00 or $100.00 on a book like this.

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you know if it'll be aviable in e form?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why 150 years, I wonder? That would cut it off at 2311, just in time for the Tomed Incident, and would exclude TNG, DS9, and VGR from being covered. Maybe it's the first of two books?

11. 21Spike65

21Spike65 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Of course, it also says it covers everything "from First Contact...", which was well before the founding of the Federation. I wonder if the 150 years actually starts in 2161, or if it includes a lead time into the beginnings of the Federation.

12. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Amazon blurb seems to suggest the first 150 years of Federation proper as well as a lead into it:

I could do without the silly plastic stand thing, but the book itself sounds very exciting (pre-ordered already!); I hope it shows us as much new stuff as my mind is rushing to imagine it could. I'm especially curious to see how they explore the Kelvin era.

13. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Huh. Is it 'New Trek' or original Trek I wonder?

14. Christopher

Original, no doubt. The Bad Robot folks evidently prefer to have anything set in the new continuity be under their direct supervision, and there's no indication of that here. And the movie continuity has only been established up through 2258; there's simply not enough material yet to base a book like this on. Plus the 150-year timeframe suggests an intention to cover everything from ENT through the original-cast movies.

Odd, though... in that picture in the StarTrek.com article, that blue-and-black diagram of a humanoid's anatomy (the second document from the left) has the Trill emblem at the bottom. That suggests it's a diagram of the host/symbiont relationship, which wasn't made public until the UFP was more than 200 years old.

15. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

However, the text is also Trill (the triangular wedges are scattered all over it), so presumably it's not a Federation document but a native one? Why that would be included, I don't know, but at least for now we could assume it's for Trill eyes only? And ours, of course.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Reading their take on the Romulan War will be interesting.

I will want to at least thumb through this prior to purchase, and likely a used copy will be what I buy.

The Trill were a species (member or not) within the early Federation, Dax knew McCoy in med school, it just that if their "little secret" wasn't part of the public consciousness.

:)

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "attack on Starbase 1" from the Romulan War, I think is from the old Spaceflight Chronology book. Or maybe FASA's RPG's.

I suspect the USS Kelvin and her sister ships (those kitbash designs seen later in the movie, which I'd assume were from the same era) will be ignored.
    So long as, if they DO include it, they don't try and homogenize it with TOS the way the EAS website did ("the film is wrong, the Kelvin is a small scout ship and doesn't really fit those corridors behind the bridge, the giant engine room or all those shuttles":ack:)

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So if this is just supposed to be the first 150 years of the Federation, why does the pedestal thing have an LCARS set-up? The earliest indication we have of LCARS being used is the 2350s, 190 years after the Federation was founded.

I don't know. The book itself certainly sounds interesting, but I really don't think I want to fork over that kind of money for it.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would presume that the book is being presented "in-universe" as a document created in the 24th Century, about Federation history during the 22nd and 23rd Centuries.

20. Christopher

Which further suggests that it may be the first of two planned volumes.