Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The collected edition certainly will tweak the artwork. They've probably already changed the digital copy (they said they were) and any future printings will be edited as well. Sadly, that means one way to ensure your comic is worth more money is to buy this original version, since it will be much rarer.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Brian Cronin told that story back in Comic Book Legends Revealed #3, all the way back in (yikes!) 2005.

Kamala Khan creator G. Willow Wilson has some choice (and lengthy!) words on the subject, which boiled down to...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, Marvel has managed to make me drop an Inhumans book. Not only does Royals have some stupid subplot about inhumans 5000 years in the future, but they say in issue #2, with a straight face, that

Medusa is dying of a metaphor (the exact term Marvel Boy uses). Basically, Marvel Boy says that Terrigen is a mix of magic and science, so the trace terrigen in medusa basically has the BS power to get revenge on her for destroying it, which is why she's dying. I'm not exaggerating at all, this is what is said

Yeah, I'm done. I really enjoyed all of the Inhuman stuff from when Soule started writing, and I've been a fan of the characters for years before that, but I'm done with this book. I'll still check out other Inhumans stuff if it gets made, but this is literally too stupid.

4. Alidar Jarok

That doesn't come close to a huge revelation that would cause me to drop that book, but I guess your mileage may differ. Terrigen has shown somewhat of a sentience in the past, causing transformations that react to need. I think this is along that path, although I think it was described in a somewhat stupid manner. But we'll have to see.

5. kirk55555

To be fair, issue #1 didn't wow me, and the subplot set 5000 years in the future was boring me. Plus, the "death" is so obviously either not going to happen or not last long, and I'm a bit sick of that (especially since I find the reasons for the death ridiculous and same with the idea of killing that character). So, that combined was why I dropped it, with that spoiler basically being the last straw.

6. kirk55555

Ok, so Marvel got me with another stealth cancellation. I say stealth because it seems like 90% of the time when a Marvel comic I'm enjoying is cancelled I only know about it when the issue I'm reading suddenly wraps up a bunch of hanging plot lines quickly, gives the character a "good bye for now" page or two, and then has the ltters page replaced witha good bye from the creative team.

Today, that book was Silk. Its been easily the best spider-hero related book in a long time, and for me she came out of nowhere. To this day I haven't read whatever Spider-Man issues she must have debuted in, or even know what issues those would be. but I gave her solo stuff a shot and I liked it a lot. I'm going to miss the book and the character.

Another book that got stealth cancelled (with a last issue that was in no way a final issue, by the way) is Ghost Rider, which ended with issue #5. I became a fan of the reyes Ghost Rider because of his Battleworld book and Agents of SHIELD, and I was enjoying this series. but, its apparently gone after the recently released issue #5, which ended the story arc but didn't act like the last issue of a series at all.

So, that's two enjoyable C-level hero books cancelled without me even knowing it. It was also, coincidentally, two diverse heroes, and its funny that they get cancelled while Marvel is starting an event focused on nazi Captain America.

Its like Marvel saw DC working to improve itself and putting out some great stuff, and decided that one of them had to be screwing up and making major mistakes :brickwall: Oh well, that's a bit of reading time freed up, i guess. Nothing good to replace them with right now, but I'm thinking it will be DC that gives me something to fill those spots before Marvel does.

7. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

At the moment, my pull list contains a few Marvel titles - but only a couple of them in the Marvel-verse proper. I'm picking up the new Iron Fist (and will, likewise, give Defenders a go when it debuts), Mighty Captain Marvel (as it's written by Margaret Stohl), Champions (which is on the point of being dropped from my monthly pulls and bought in trades) and Royals, will also pick up Generation X when it starts in May.

Also picking up Dr Aphra and Poe Dameron - and will get the Screaming Citadel crossover issues.

Out of all these, though - the only one I'm getting in hard copy is Iron Fist, the rest in e-comics.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw Marvel Sliding Time in action.

They referenced the time, 10 years ago, when alcoholic Daily Bugle reporter Sally Floyd asked Captain America if he had a MySpace account, and then called him an out of touch coot. Today however the flash back of that same hilarious moment in time, MySpace has been switched out for Twitter, since only out of touch coots use MySpace any more.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Turtletrekker

I was just coming in with that. The article should have also mentioned the utter unfamiliarity of the Marvel Universe at the moment as well.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice article, thanks for sharing.
    It's seem ridiculous to me that comic books are struggling so hard when superheroes are the most popular they've been in decades. I do have to wonder how they would sell if they started putting them prominently in places like Wal-Mart, Target, and grocery stores. I really think the whole Direct Market thing has probably done more harm than it has helped comics.
    We did start getting some special three packs of individual DC and Marvel comics at Wal-Mart, but they're just in a couple of small display boxes at the end of the isle with the trading cards. They're really easy to miss, I only stumbled across them because they happened to be next to some Pez dispensers or Funko collectables I was looking at. We do occasionally have some TPBs back with the novels, but it's usually only one or two and they're just kind of randomly thrown into the middle of the books, and often end up buried behind some of the bigger books.

12. Turtletrekker

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, I wish I'd known this was happening before I got a bunch of comics off of Comixology. I'm trying to stop buying any more until I work my way through my massive collection of unread stuff.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Secret Empire Uprising has to be making fun of an old movie I've never seen because what these kids are doing is fricking loony toons.

The kids, the Champions mostly, join the Hydra Youth choir.

15. Alidar Jarok

Aren't Amazon and Comixology the same thing?

It's hard for me to justify picking up too much because Marvel Unlimited will let me read the same comics for free. That being said, I picked up a Cable volume on Comixology that isn't on Unlimited. I also bought a ton of Wonder Woman comics because there's a sale, which I'd have to doublecheck but might be my first DC comics I've paid for.

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While Amazon and Comixology are the same company the sales you see depend on which "storefront" you go through. It can pay to keep an eye on both.

I stopped myself from going crazy on the Amazon Marvel sale when I remembered that "free" on Marvel Unlimited is a better deal than even $.99.

17. kirk55555

I decided to try out Venom with its renumbering (to issue #150) and its pretty decent. I've never been a huge fan of Venom as the lead of a comic, but the two issues I've read so far (#150 and 151) are pretty good. Venom is back with Eddie brock (I have no idea why he's not with Flash Thompson anymore or how the symbiote went back to being violent), and they're trying to be good guys (really violent good guys, and their version of "good). Eddie and the Symbiote talk to each other in thought captions, like a serious version of the yellow/white caption boxes that Deadpool had for a few years. Its an interesting, somewhat creepy dynamic. The latest issue, it sets him up to fight Stegron, a villain who is like the Lizard except he turns into a dinosaur man. This was a nice surprise for me, so far at least.

In marvel news, they've revealed a cover for Marvel's new Legacy intiative

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-industry-changing-news-mark-brooks-variant/

Apparently tomorrow we'll be getting info on the books and writers for the Legacy books and possible relauches. I just hope we get some of the old school heroes back with their old powers/names (the real Thor, Tony Stark as Iron Man, etc).

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder how Legacy will "change the comic book industry"? That's a pretty big thing to say.

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People might buy Marvel books again.
    That's pretty big.

Also, do X-Men fans still think their books are soon to be cancelled because of Fox's movies?

20. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I recently watched "Age of Ultron". Why did Ultron keep Natasha Romanoff a prisoner, instead of simply killing her?