Favorite Star Trek Movie Score...track?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dale Sams, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mine would be Star Trek II: 4. "Kirk's Explosive Reply"

"Here it comes...now."

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's too much outstanding Trek movie music to narrow it down to absolute favorite, but I absolutely LOVE the theme to First Contact.

Also, Enterprise Clears Moorings, and the beginning part of Battle in the Mutara Nebula, from TWOK.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

As sbk1234 states, narrowing the choices down to a single track is close to impossible - but I'll throw Jerry Goldsmith's magnificent "The Enterpise" from TMP into the ring as a personal favourite.

4. sbk1234

I am quite convinced that it was basically impossible for Jerry Goldsmith to compose anything that wasn't brilliant.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, he was a really talented man. Truly one of the greats.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That one's easy for me:

"A Busy Man" - Jerry Goldsmith, Star Trek V Soundtrack.

8. sbk1234

9. Dale Sams

In the vein of good scores for not so well received movies...I thought Insurrection, Nemesis and Generations had fine soundtracks. I've never been able to get a handle on ST:V's score, and Star Trek 11 had a good main theme, but the rest just sounded like action-filler music. Not that 11 was poorly received.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Dale Sams

Veeeee-gerrrrrrrr.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I always think of that as the Klingon Calvary music. I loved hearing it in subsequent movies too though I can't remember how many it was used in.

First Contact theme, everything from XI.. though I have to say nothing beats TOS the series for music.

14. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think there is a bad Trek score amongst the lot of the Trek movies.

Like others here, I think it would be next to impossible to truly narrow down all the fine choices to a single track. If I were going to try, though, I'd probably cast an additional vote for "The Enterprise" from TMP. Absolutely breathtaking, and a type of cue that would never be written for a movie today, unfortunately.

I'd also like to mention Dennis McCarthy's score for Generations as one that I think is often under-appreciated. McCarthy sometimes gets a bad rap for his TV work, but that is largely due to the constraints placed on him during the latter half of TNG and beyond. However, if you listen to his early TNG work, it is clear he has a much greater range than the rest of his series work would indicate. With Generations, where he was allowed to move out of the "sonic wallpaper" box and actually use grand themes and motifs, I think he did an excellent job. He is no Jerry Goldsmith, but I think his work on that film was very good.

Lastly, I'd like to mention James Horner's weaving of the TOS theme into his work. I think he melded the TOS theme with his own cues perhaps better than anyone else. In particular, I always love the first minute or so of the end titles cue from TSFS where he not only quotes the TOS fanfare, but actually the TOS theme itself before going in to his own theme. Very well done.

15. SolidusDonut

SolidusDonut Cadet Newbie

I really like "Ba'Ku Village" from Insurrection. Just one of my favorites. :D

16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My single, top favorite track would have to be "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" from TWOK. But I have a lot of favorites.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Agreed. The harp notes and orchestral strings were just sweeping and melodic, very well done on Jerry Goldsmith's part. The man was an amazing talent.

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    The Cloud: TMP
    The Barrier: TFF
    True Love: The Cage
    Stealing The Enterprise: TSFS
    Repairs: Nemesis (that bit where Picard is waiting for The Scimitar to make first appearance)

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but I can't imagine Goldsmith ever composing anything like Williams' scores for Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Catch Me If You Can.

20. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. Goldsmith had quite a range. Compare his score for Planet of the Apes to his score for TMP. Totally different approaches, styles, etc. And he excelled at both.

However, that's not to say that I think he's better than John Williams. I would be hard pressed to say I think one or the other is better. I can't imagine Goldsmith improving upon Williams' Superman score, for example. But neither can I imagine Williams improving on Goldsmith's score for TMP.