Temporal Agents in nuTrek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by wulfio, Sep 1, 2014.

1. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

This never occurred to me before, but in the newest trek, we usually got some temporal agents making sure the timeline plays out like it's supposed to.

So when spock goes back in time with a Romulan ship in tow, and the Romulans start going hari-kari on the 23rd century, shouldn't they have maybe stepped in or something to prevent all of that?

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

No worthy temporal agent would ever messes with Captain Robau.

3. xavier

xavier Commander

I do not think anything can prevent that. in the whole of trek, the law seems to be that any little tampering with time regardless of how small it is atomically creates an alternate reality. where the future will no longer be fixed. So even if you try and prevent something, the outcome may not be what you expected if you came to the future to do so.

data explains this well in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lJyFBkhRYk

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Or the change in the timeline simply resulted in a series of situations that removed all temporal agencies from the timeline altogether.

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

We can only hope. :techman:

6. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Except that they always predict temporal anomalies.

I know what string theory is. This was a result of tampering with the timeline, in established canon where this sort of tampering was not possible. It's not a situation of I turned left instead of right.

It is also not sustainable. Since the conditions that allowed that specific romulan ship to go back in time, most assuredly will not be present in the nuTrek timeline; especially with nuSpocks knowledge of the who what where when and why. Thus the cycle would end and we'd get prime universe back.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Mr. Daniels on Enterprise, the Xindi attack wasn't part of his recorded history, yet he didn't do anything to prevent that. So clearly they aren't too alarmed over changes to the timeline.

Or maybe Abrams and the Bad Robot posse want to forget about Enterprise's Temporal Cold War and all the baggage brought with it. One of their better ideas, perhaps. IDW will eventually deal with this, I'm sure.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's fair to say that as far as the new movies are concerned, time cops don't exist. Considering Daniels' utter incompetence in "Shockwave" where he accidentally destroyed all of history, it's entirely possible they erased themselves somewhere along the way!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no way for any temporal agents in the prime timeline to know about the Abramsverse. For all anyone in "prime" knows, Spock Prime and Nero disappeared and were never seen again. No one could ever find out where (or when) they went.

This is because of the unique rules established regarding the creation of the Abramsverse. It's an alternate timeline that exists alongside the old; it doesn't overwrite the old. If the latter, then maybe the time cops could have found out. But they didn't.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If they weren't overwritten, that is.

I don't see how that follows. We're not getting the prime universe back.

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Let's not forget those idiots who work for Temporal Starfleet we saw in VOY "Future's End" and "Relativity". Like Daniels, I think Temporal agents cause more problems than they solve by interfering.

12. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I'm not saying we are. It is nerd talk. If the abramsverse was created because a set of variables that existed in the prime universe, would that now mean that in abramsverse, the set of conditions that led to its creation no longer exist. Therefore, would the abramsverse cease to exist when it reaches the point in time where Spock was supposed to travel back in time with the Romulans. Is it all just a paradox?

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Thats exactly how "Watching the Clock" handles the situation.

The DTI knows about the Abramsverse and simply let it be, since the Prime Universe continues on it's way.

We the audience, will never see the Prime one again, which means we'll never see the DTI again either.

14. Set Harth

No. That does not follow.

No, the time travel mechanics depicted in ST09 are paradox-free.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The 23rd Century is a Temporal Agent free zone. We never saw one in TOS.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

The DTI of the prime timeline hadn't been formed until shortly after TOS either, I don't think.

17. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Do you care to elaborate with an actual explanation that elicits discussion? Or is no all you are capable of, and then I can promptly put you on ignore?

I have a feeling you're more gun ho about defending the abramsverse than having an exchange.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The explanation is this: The Abramsverse exists alongside the original timeline. It does not replace or overwrite it in any way. Nobody in either timeline is even aware of the other. Parallel lines, as it were.

19. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^^ What Mr. Laserbeam said. Also the TNG episode "Parallels" already demonstrated parallel universes existing in Star Trek.

20. Set Harth

Please don't throw me in dat briar patch!