I liked the Borg more before the Borg Queen and Q before Voyager.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by urbandk, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

When the borg were first introduced on TNG they were this unbeatable enemy ,but when they turn up on voyager they were getting their behinds kick from species 8472 and voyager able to dfeat them in every encounter.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are they following the Olympic Carrier?

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVE the prime number angle, it's like how cicadas have huge birth years every prime number of years (dif. for dif. varieties IIRC) so predators cannot time their own population spikes to eat 'em all. It beats having a Borg episode say, every seven of nine episodes or so. Sorry.

4. SomniumRabidum

SomniumRabidum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I pretty much agree with what most people here are saying. After BOBW the Borg steadily began losing their mystique. Q was without a doubt at his best during TNG, he just wasn't as interesting without Picard.

It's a real shame too, the Borg and Q are largely responsible for making me a big Trek fan.

5. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

And I'm just writing because I agree with you. Every series has a "favorite enemy," whether it's the Daleks for Doctor Who or the Borg in TNG. The problem is: How can you have an enemy you fear after defeating it every single time? Sooner or later, that unbeatable enemy loses that fearsomeness. (Oh, look! It's the Borg AGAIN. Shall we laugh now or wait until the crew kicks hom off the starship?):borg:

As to the Borg when it was first introduced: I really liked the idea of a race that was after only technology. It was frightening wandering through the ship and them not giving two hoots and a holler about the crew.:borg:

You also had to beat them head on since there was no lead figure you could trick by saying: "Look over there. It's Raquel Welch!" Then the lead person turns to look and you've gotten some big gun you pull out and that's that.:bolian:

That was what the Borg Queen was all about. Distract her, and the rest of the crew had a fighting chance. Bah, humbug, even though I enjoyed "The Best of Both Worlds," though Picard should have died when Crusher took out his nanoprobes and no explanation given.:rommie:

For the Q, he showed up and did what ever he wanted whenever he wanted. If I'd been the captain, I'd assign at least one team to come up with ways to boot him off the ship. (Maybe that's why Q never bothered Kirk and company.):cardie:

6. john titor

john titor Captain

The Borg could have been used very effectively in Voy, for example they could have had their asses handed to them, this would have been good, very good, and I don't know why they didn't pursue this instead of having Voy defeat them with magic at every turn, but I suspect Voy was a conspiracy to intentionally destroy Star Trek.

7. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be honest, i loved the borg in VOY, they are my favourite enemy, but i agree with you about Q.

Voyager was NEVER a conspiracy!! its my favourite series :P then DS9, then tng, then tos (only becase i have only seen a few episodes :P )

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager's mission was part of a Starfleet conspiracy to explore and colonize the Delta Quadrant as an avenue of expansion for Federation territory, even though treaties between the major Alpha Quadrant powers expressly forbid expansion into other areas of the galaxy for this purpose.

Move along, now. :shifty:

9. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^ don't forget the secret alliance with the Cardassian Union!

10. Praetor

You're not supposed to talk about that... :shifty:

Gul Evek's life counts on your silence!!

11. Thor Damar

What on earth are you talking about? I didn't mention any alliance I said some people might think that there is a secret alliance when both you and I know that there is no such alliance in place:shifty:

(That ought to fool 'em!)

12. Praetor

:shifty:

I think I might be the only one who actually enjoyed 'The Voyager Conspiracy' and wished more thought had been put into the cookie crumbs they cited. Then again, it was rather amusing that some of the mysteries Seven defined into her paranoid conspiracy were left ambiguous.

13. Thor Damar

I too liked that episode, it was great fun!

14. Praetor

And then there were two...

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's like I said, the Borg HAD to be powered down for use in VOY since otherwise the show would be over in 1 minute or so.

VOY wasn't allowed to create it's own nemesis race (like TNG had with the Romulans/Borg/Cardassians or DS9 with the Dominion), so they had to fall back on existing ones. The Borg were the only ones that qualified for VOY's situation and since no one would've tuned in for a story of VOY dealing with alien refugees fleeing the Borg they had to have them square off with the Borg themselves.

Thus, the power-down.

16. Praetor

^I have to agree. It's really a shame the VGR writers and producers weren't able to come up with a more original, interesting Villain (tm) race for the series, rather than relying on the Borg. I remember reading someplace that the producers set the series in the DQ expressly in case the ratings started to tank and they need to bring out the Borg.

17. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

yeah. delta quad should have been a goldmine for unusual races, creative villains. they shouldn't have to travel to another dimension to find a freaky adversary. i wish they could have sped things along and gotten back to the alpha quadrant. too bad warp 10 turns you into a salamander.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They did bring us a bunch of new races, it's just that the viewers hated all of them and wanted the older ones from the Alpha Quadrant. So VOY had to keep falling back on the only race from prior series they could use.

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fairness, they did almost all suck.

20. Praetor

^Well, that's what I was saying. It's a shame they couldn't create one that was interesting enough to catch on.