X-Files 2:IWTB (again)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

This week I saw The X-Files: I Want to Believe (Blu-ray) for the first time.
    Yes I had heard that is was more like an episode of The X-Files since the first film The X-Files - Fight the Future (1998).

This 2nd film had the old X-Files director of photography from 1998-2002 and Chris Carter directing. I totally agree with Ultimale & Jax who started the threads below.
    I was bummed about only a psychic being the only thing slightly paranormal in a organ harvesting murder criminal bad guys type show. No sci-fi at all. The cinematography was great and reminded me of the TV series as was the sound. This was a basically big-budget TV episode.
    I am still looking forward to watching again with the Audio Commentary.
    Did you guys revisit this film in the last 5 years and any different thoughts on it?

older threads:
    Wow...X-Files: I Want To Believe

X Files 2 - Letdown

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I saw it in theaters and then watched it again when it came out on Blu-Ray. I don't mind it, but I really wish it had been bigger in scope. After so many years of waiting for a new X-Files story, it just seemed weird that this was the story they chose to tell. I loved it for the characters, but the story was pretty crappy.

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just happy to see them back, but personally I really like the film. I like it for the atmosphere it builds, and the performances of the two leads and Billy Connolly. I thought that Mulder and Scully felt just right, it all slotted back together nicely and their character stuff was well written.

The plot was a bit boring though granted.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

One of the biggest letdowns ever...CSI Files The Movie.

:(

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't like it in the theaters but I've grown to enjoy it. I was just expecting more at the time.

6. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw it when it came out. Like Pingfah I was happy to see them back but all in all I was disapointed by the movie. While I believe that it was a good idea to step away from the alien/conspiracy storyline and to create a story about a seriel killer instead, IWTB suffered from Mulder and Scully not working together on this. After all, this is the X-Files we are talking about and I was a bit bummed that they were each doing their own thing. That being said, I would probably go and watch a third movie, but I really hope they'd make it more focused.

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the movie very much, only the death of Dakota Whitney was pretty sad

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I liked it, actually, but it is certainly odd that this is the story Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, Gillian Anderson, and David Duchovny chose to tell after taking several years off. I know the budget was limited, but the series managed to tell big stories with limited funds.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I liked it quite a lot, but it was certainly the wrong choice of plot for bringing back the series.

10. I found it enjoyable but this wasn't half as good as most of the XFiles standalones. That's the biggest disappointment. They could have came up with any weird shit they wanted.

11. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe they wanted to reach a broader audience. Therefore they chose a more... let's say average plot and made it less mystical. Just think about Silence of the Lambs or Seven. Great movies about hunting seriel killers. According to Wikipedia David Duchovny said: "I think we're going back to the 'monster of the week' type feel, where if you're not an avid fan and don't understand the mythology, you can still come to it and get the movie."
    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X-Files:_I_Want_to_Believe

I was just trying to find an interview with Chris Carter about the second movie, when I stumbled across a rumor that they plan a third one. The plot of this one focuses on the colonisation that was mentioned in the tv series. So, 'back to the roots'.
    Link: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...ost-colonisation-story-says-chris-carter.html

Well, I can't say I'm too thrilled about it. IMHO the X-Files were always much better with the stand-alone episodes. Part of that is probably because the showrunners lost the overview of their conspiracy.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  12. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

But the colonization is the one story that needs to be finished up and then from there the franchise can continue without that element hanging over the heads of the writers.

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Totally disagree. The first movie was a much more mainstream action adventure film.

The general audience, even those who aren't regular X-Files fans, have heard of the X-Files and would be expecting a paranormal story, not a mainstream detective story.

I like the sound of that. They could have done that and still come up with an interesting story instead of the story we got which went absolutely nowhere.

Jesus, I hope not.
    Or they can simply ignore it, which is what I hope they do.